xud to hdi gearbox | speedo over reading

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xud to hdi gearbox | speedo over reading
Ok so chucked a hdi box on the zx

Swapped the mech speedo sensor from the xud box onto the hdi (which had an electronic vss)

It now over reads a fair bit, about 10mph (reading 40 instead of 30 ..etc)

Anyone know what have I've forgotten to swap over?
Thanks given by:
Bumpity

anyone have any idea?
Thanks given by:
Don't think there's much you can do about this :/

Normally the output is after the FD so it should read correctly - I know the FD is different, but shouldn't make any difference.

Are the wheels in use of a different rolling radius?

Is it proportional i.e. 12mph at 10mph, 40 at 30 and 80 at 60? or is it more linear than that?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Anytime I done this swap I used the whole drive iirc as in remove the o/s shaft and unbolt it with 3 13mms its not big deal even if the box is in the car.
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2013, 09:22 AM)con67 Wrote: Anytime I done this swap I used the whole drive iirc as in remove the o/s shaft and unbolt it with 3 13mms its not big deal even if the box is in the car.

Great, I'll give this a go Smile
Thanks given by:
What con says is true, easy to change,

That said, I never have, and ive never had one read wrong, seems a little odd as im 90% sure the cog is same size across all box's....as ruan said, are you running same wheels / tyres as you were before the swap?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
yeah same size wheels / tyres

195/50/15

can't remember if it was proportional - think it was more linear, but was a good chunk overlike a a good 10mph over 30, and 10mph+ over 70

(29-05-2013, 09:49 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: What con says is true, easy to change,

That said, I never have, and ive never had one read wrong, seems a little odd as im 90% sure the cog is same size across all box's....as ruan said, are you running same wheels / tyres as you were before the swap?
Thanks given by:
Did you find a fix for this Tom ?
Did you swap the whole unit over?

Good to know the electronic part can just swap in tho. Don't suppose you kept it? Smile
Thanks given by:
I've got a spare if needed pm me
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2015, 05:12 PM)nominous Wrote: Did you find a fix for this Tom ?
Did you swap the whole unit over?

Good to know the electronic part can just swap in tho. Don't suppose you kept it? Smile

it is resolved in my project thread somewhere with pics - needed to swap the cog out that engages with the driveshaft, had different amount of teeth on it.
Thanks given by: nominous
Did you put this in your project thread mate?
Thanks given by:
(12-01-2015, 08:10 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: Did you put this in your project thread mate?

yup it's in my project thread somewhere
Thanks given by:
Sorry trying to get my head round this...

So first you swapped just teh white sensor ?
But had to revist and swap the whole speedo drive ?

Engages with the diff.
Thanks given by:
Just keep a matched pair of cogs from the same box and it'll be fine, maybe a small amount out if the tyre sizes are different. Ideally use the ones from the original gearbox if you know they're correct.

Problems come if you start mixing cogs from different boxes, as there's a few different ones out there distinguished by different colours. 205 GTi ones are red small and cream larger cogs for example. Start muddling the cogs and the speedo drive will be rotating at the wrong rate for a given road speed, thus throwing out the speedo.

The cog just pulls off the bottom of the speedo drive / VSS so easy to swap over if you're swapping speedo drives over.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by: nominous
Thanks. rep'd !

Tom's post about it for ref:

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...#pid276403
Thanks given by:
Another job to add to my list...

Is a new seal needed?
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2015, 07:38 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: Another job to add to my list...

Is a new seal needed?

Nah i have had a fair few off and never had 1 like from that joint. Its just an O ring
Thanks given by:
^ all of the above
Thanks given by:
Ideal thanks
Thanks given by:
Excuse my ignorance, but is the Hdi box higher geared (final drive) than a XUDturbo box?
Also, are they a straight swap as far as bellhousing pattern and mountings are concerned?

Thanks in advance.
Will
Thanks given by:
Will,

they are pretty much a straight swap all dimensions etc are the same and they bolt right up its just the clutch fork will need to be changed, and a little bracket on the outside of the dturbo box needs to be bolted onto the hdi box, its apparent when you seem them both. Easy swap I love the hdi box.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dave.
So is the Hdi final drive higher geared than the XUDT box?
Thanks given by:
Yes it is
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cool!
Thanks again Dave.
Thanks given by: