Very rough running

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very rough running
Hello all,

I am having very big problems with my car at the moment, I will try describe as best as I can what is happening and what I have done to try resolve it so far.

So first a bit of background, the other day the car began to start to run roughly and struggle to start, turned out to be the glow-plugs so I changed these and then it still failed to start correctly and when I took the fuel filter housing off and examined the fuel filter it was very clogged so I changed the filter.

So now the car has new glow plugs and new fuel filter but it still struggles to run correctly. What happens is the car idles roughly(both when cold and warm) Also when the car is running it will suddenly loose all power and die. It also struggles to accelerate when doing this and dropping gear does nothing to help.

I have also changed the injectors tonight as someone said that could be the cause on my other thread, but even though I have done this it is still the same.

I will try get a video if that would help better.

I am lost now as to what it could be and it is really getting to me now as the car is undrivable due to it cutting out all the time.

Thanks

Dan
Thanks given by:
Air getting in the fuel? What's the hand primer like? What's the general condition of the rest of the engine?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
If air is getting in I'm not sure where it could be coming from as all the pipes are tight, unless its from the bottom of the housing.

The hand primer looks fine with no visible cracks or splits.

The engine is fine apart from this, only has 90000 or so miles on it.
Thanks given by:
Checked the pickup in the tank? Does the primer collapse in on itself when running for a while? Get another pipe and a fresh can of diesel and run it straight out of that to by pass your fuel lines, filter housing etc.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I've cleaned the pick up in the tank. Not noticed the primer collapsing.

How would I run it from a diesel can? Or what's the best way to do it?
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 05:33 AM)DanWY Wrote: If air is getting in I'm not sure where it could be coming from as all the pipes are tight, unless its from the bottom of the housing.

The hand primer looks fine with no visible cracks or splits.

The engine is fine apart from this, only has 90000 or so miles on it.

bottom of the housing is very common, also check leak-off pipes and replace if need be, the housings also usually leak from the little white dial looking thing on the side . . hope this helps . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Take the hose off the filter housing to the pump and stick it in a can, if its long enough. Obviously you cant drive like this, but atleast if it works then it rules out an issue with your pump.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Air-ingress into the fuel system from the fuel filter housing.

They leak between the:

lid and housing (no mater how hard you clamp it down)
The base
The little white cross thing in the bottom corner

Take the housing off, clean and de-grease it then assemble with silicone sealant.
Thanks given by:
Would it be possible to use gasket sealer instead of silicone?
Thanks given by:
You want to be very careful using any silicon based crap because the diesel will eat it, and it'll end up in your fuel pump. Not a wise idea.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
That is why I don't want to use silicone. Was thinking hylomar or similar.
Thanks given by:
Just to confirm that I have now solved the issue. I did so by sealing all of the fuel filter with hylomar blue and using loctite on all the relevant bolts and tightened them up and put new jubilee clips on all the pipes.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rough idle very smoky blinkyeatu 3 1,100 03-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Last Post: blinkyeatu
  Rough start (misfiring) Dturbobooost 3 1,280 28-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Last Post: daddyfixit
  rough start up philpemberton94 7 1,543 15-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Last Post: ADV_93