Gaz, KWs or Billy B8s?!?! arrrrgh!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaz, KWs or Billy B8s?!?! arrrrgh!
Right.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated/confused with this.

I'm looking at suspension upgrades for the '6. Buying & fitting is some way off still, so I'm doing all the groundwork figuring out what I need/want now.

My goal is to set the car up for good fast-road use with occasional track-use (maybe a couple a year)

I have discounted KW V1s for reasons explained more below.

I've discounted KV V2s because they're too expensive for my current budget.

I have for some time been looking at Gaz GHAs (the cheaper ones) as apparently theyâ??re prettymuch identical at the front, but the GAZ rear shockers are better. They also feature adjustable damping via a knob (ooh-er) on the side of the strut, which I like the sound ofâ?¦

However, it seems (whether informed or otherwise) these units take a right flaming on the '6 forum for being shit.

I'm tempted by GAZ GGAs (the more expensive ones), but they're stretching my budget a bit currently.

My aim is to make the car handle better, with a bit of ride-height adjustability, and to be compatible with eccentric top-mounts.

The main goal is the handling; hence I'm pretty nervous the cheaper Gaz units will ruin the handling of the car.

If it turns out the best thing suspension-wise is Billy B8s with Eibachs, and standard top-mounts, then I'm fine with that; I'm just running myself in circles here trying to work out what I need!

Your thoughts and opinions pretty please (particularly Phil/Ripp, who also has a pm to much the same tune from a couple of weeks ago!!) Tongue

And on the subject of the '6 forum; look who I foundâ?¦.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=142629

lol
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Not sure how the front ones are personally as i've not got them but from what i hear they're good!

I do however have the GAZ rear adjustable dampers and they've been awesome so far, had them fitted for around a year
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
B8's and Eibach Pro Kit springs mate. Handles lovely. Ill be upgrading to a hybrid ARB in the future but dont think ill be wanting to do anything else.
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
I would go gaz personally! But for handling probably separate dampers and springs would be better.
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have a ride in marks car! His gaz coilies are the bees! Handles like a dream so flat and undramatic but it really does get round the corners quick
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Have a ride in marks car! His gaz coilies are the bees! Handles like a dream so flat and undramatic but it really does get round the corners quick

See this was partially my reasoning for looking at the gaz's. I believe mark has the ghas (cheaper ones) too. My problem is b8s are probably the best springs n dampers you can get for the 306, but the same budget will only get the weaker end of the coilover range. You can very easily spend more than a grand a corner getting epic coilies, and I just don't have any need for this level of adjustability...
Plus I did want to run the eccentric topmounts, which are only compatible with coilies...
Thanks given by:
More reason to get the gaz's then! Honestly coilovers are amazing!
Thanks given by:
Foxy I do appreciate your input but I'm looking for the best solution for the handling, not just the looks. I don't want to make the rideheight rockrock hard, I want to make sure there is some semblance of damping so the tyres stay in contact with the road on as wide a variety of roads as possible. *if* that can be done with gazs, and they provide half decent longevity then I'm interested. Or if the topmounts complement them so well they handle better than b8s and eibachs, then I'm sold.

I don't want to just buy coilies, slam it and assume its the best setup for handling...

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a go, buy I just want to use the time before I committ financially to finding out as much as possible about my options so I can make the most informed decision when the time comes...
Thanks given by:
No thats totally understandable! Everyone wants different things, mine will never be a track slag so im not too worried about what coilovers are on atm (although i will upgrade eventually). But my mate has some Gaz golds on his mk 1 fiesta and it handles very well and isnt too harsh. I think he has them adjusted 3/4 of the way to being completely solid.
Thanks given by:
Hmm yeah thing is gaz golds are about 380more than gaz adjustables... Im not sure my budget'll stretch :\
Thanks given by:
I can also vouch for the "cheap" gaz coilies
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Best people to talk to would be people who have been in my car. Not cos of how well it handles but because they will be able to tell you how well it handles compared to their own cars or other cars they have been in. I have only really been in my car, so its hard for me to say mine are better than anything else.

I would suggest talking to dumdum, krisB, Phil, the london lot they have all been in my car. My car has a hard ride so I would suggest a slightly softer spring rate.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the inpit guys Smile

Mark, what spring rates you running atm? I got your number off dum earlier, was planning on giving you a ring this evening after work: could you spare a minute?

Also are you on Gaz ghas or ggas?
Thanks given by:
Pompey306mark Wrote:Best people to talk to would be people who have been in my car. Not cos of how well it handles but because they will be able to tell you how well it handles compared to their own cars or other cars they have been in. I have only really been in my car, so its hard for me to say mine are better than anything else.

I would suggest talking to dumdum, krisB, Phil, the london lot they have all been in my car. My car has a hard ride so I would suggest a slightly softer spring rate.

I've been in marks car and I will say it does corner and handle brilliantly!

However in normal conditions they were a bit too stiff for my liking. But that's just my opinion. Everyone's different! If all roads in the uk are smoother then marks car would be perfect but the sad fact is, our roads are shite!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Pompey306mark Wrote:Best people to talk to would be people who have been in my car. Not cos of how well it handles but because they will be able to tell you how well it handles compared to their own cars or other cars they have been in. I have only really been in my car, so its hard for me to say mine are better than anything else.

If I had to pick one word to describe cornering in Marks car I would describe it as frightening.

It is absolutely unbelievable, Hell approach a corner at probably 15% faster than I would (and when i went out with him it was on roads Ive driven fast on) and my brain is screaming that this is going to end in certain death but he turns in and it just sticks, It feels incredibly untroubled by the whole thing and feels like it could go another 5-10% faster again.

Undoubtedly this is not entirely due to his choice of coilovers but also the many many other uprated suspension parts he has.

If you want to write yourself a 306 suspension shopping list go out in Marks car and copy.
Thanks given by:
^^^ agreed
Thanks given by:
I need a ride in Marks car then!
Thanks given by:
definatly! It sticks to say the least
Thanks given by:
Dumdum it was not just your mind screaming if I recall lol.

I am not sure of the spring rate, I have tried to find out but with no luck. When I bought mine I forgot to suggest a spring rate and would not really know what to go for anyway.

Anyone can have a lift in my car if they see me at a meet, just ask. As long as the roads are ok and the car is feeling happy I will most likely say yes.

Ed can the call wait til tomorrow. I have a women phoning me this evening about a great job and I don't want to miss it. Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Pompey306mark Wrote:Dumdum it was not just your mind screaming if I recall lol.

I am not sure of the spring rate, I have tried to find out but with no luck. When I bought mine I forgot to suggest a spring rate and would not really know what to go for anyway.

Anyone can have a lift in my car if they see me at a meet, just ask. As long as the roads are ok and the car is feeling happy I will most likely say yes.

Ed can the call wait til tomorrow. I have a women phoning me this evening about a great job and I don't want to miss it. Cheers.
Mark you going to ace on 20th? I shall be
Thanks given by:
Mark your springs are 325lb
Thanks given by:
How do you know that?

Not sure yet. I am being really tight with money at the moment. There is a club306 new forest meet this weekend but I doubt I will go to that either.
Thanks given by:
well i'm getting Gaz GHA's with essentric top mounts if you want to have a look at them..

Was going to get the gold ones but not on my budget as they were £300 more over the GHA's.
Thanks given by:
Pompey306mark Wrote:How do you know that?

I know EVERYTHING!!!!!

Nah its in the Rally Designs Catalogue
Thanks given by:
Ok cool.
Thanks given by:
Ill be honest Ed, for to retain the beautiful subtleness of the 6s handling id go for B8s and Eibachs, i understand that you cant run the eccentric top mounts etc but it will remain comfortable and compliant on country roads. I followed a fellow Rallye with this setup last week and we commented on how compliant and comfortable it looked yet it really did go around corners well.

The limit on track will be your driving mate, and im not saying it to be a dick because this is the same in my case as well. However with B8s it retains the characteristics that you know in the 306. If you then decide you love track driving you just go from there, coilies etc and make more compromises to everyday useability. And the B8s/Eibachs will always sell on!
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
And Mark, your springs were 325lb? Shiiiiiit im gonna have a sore back !
Thanks given by:
Atterz Wrote:Ill be honest Ed, for to retain the beautiful subtleness of the 6s handling id go for B8s and Eibachs, i understand that you cant run the eccentric top mounts etc but it will remain comfortable and compliant on country roads. I followed a fellow Rallye with this setup last week and we commented on how compliant and comfortable it looked yet it really did go around corners well.

The limit on track will be your driving mate, and im not saying it to be a dick because this is the same in my case as well. However with B8s it retains the characteristics that you know in the 306. If you then decide you love track driving you just go from there, coilies etc and make more compromises to everyday useability. And the B8s/Eibachs will always sell on!

/thread
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Mine seems fine on the country roads as always gripped very well, even in bad weather.

Dumdum does it have the width and length in the catalogue?
Thanks given by:
Im not debating that at all Mark, but you have made a lot of compromises in terms of ride quality to get to the stage you are at now. Its lowered a lot more than the -30 mm Eibachs and as a result the original geometry and therefore characteristics of the car have changed. This is not to say that your car doesnt handle brilliantly and as you are pushing higher and higher speeds i have no doubt yours is will be the better setup, however!!...

But im just looking at it from Ed's perspective and i believe that for initial track work, from what i have seen done many many times, then B8s and Eibachs are the way to go for now.
Thanks given by: