Help, broke down!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, broke down!
So I was driving along when I had to brake hard suddenly then the engine just cut out! Now the engine wont start, it cranks but doesn't fire. What could of caused this?

Is it possible that theres a small amount of fuel left in the tank and when I have braked the fuel pump has sucked air in? Although theres about a quarter of a tank :confused:
Thanks given by:
Jeez how hard did you brake?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Press the red button inside the bay, right at the back near the windscreen.
Thanks given by:
Can you hear the lift pump in the back prime on the second click of the key?
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2013, 09:12 PM)Tom Wrote: Jeez how hard did you brake?

Hard'ish...

(10-05-2013, 09:15 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Can you hear the lift pump in the back prime on the second click of the key?

im at home now mate so will Liston when I go back for it tomorow.

(10-05-2013, 09:13 PM)vlj Wrote: Press the red button inside the bay, right at the back near the windscreen.

Tryed that mate Huh
Thanks given by:
Lol, impressive for 266s!

Check the plug to the red button is fully in. Mine was cable tied in, I don't like bodges so cut off the cable tie....engine didn't start lol, had to cable tie it again! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
What does the red button do?
Thanks given by:
(10-05-2013, 10:37 PM)Stephen Wrote: What does the red button do?

It's the inertia switch, if yo have an accident the change in movement cuts the engine
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
That's smart, which models is it on?
Thanks given by:
Erm. All of them? Possibly? IDK
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Interesting! Thanks for the info Smile
Thanks given by:
All plugs look ok and connected also I am getting fuel from the tank.....??

[Image: atederuq.jpg]

I pulled this pipe of the filter, the one on the right.

[Image: yde5u6uj.jpg]

There is like a white powder on the cable that goes to the ecu, does this mean anything
Thanks given by:
White powder on that cable will most likely be the left-over remains of tape that was once there.

If you're getting fuel from the tank it's not an inertia switch or immobiliser problem. Have you checked the camshaft sensor? If your engine mounts are worn it's possible for sharp changes in direction to nudge the sensor enough to break the connection. It's on the top of your cam cover, to the left of the oil filler cap.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Check for blown fuses check every single fuse on the whole car and try again, theres some really odd fuses thatll stop the car from starting.
Thanks given by:
Will try everything and get back to you. Thanks
Thanks given by:
[Image: ra2enaje.jpg]

Here are the codes.

Egr - not botherd about.

Fuel primary circuit - had it ages

What about the others?
Thanks given by:
PO335 is the Crank sensor iirc?

And PO906 is a pointless code, clear it and it shouldn't come back....came on Rowells estate after it'd been sitting for a while, something to do with low battery or something.
Thanks given by:
Yep . would that stop it from starting?
Thanks given by:
Would help if you'd cleared off the old ones before, don't know whether any of them are recent or not - for all we know P0230 could have been triggered again since.

Google tells me p0906 is an auto-box fault code - yours is a manual, so it's probably pug-specific code that you need pp2k or lexia for - and p0335 is crankshaft position sensor. P00cc is apparently an injector circuit issue.

Have you tried starting her after clearing all the codes and priming several times?

EDIT: Low battery charge would stop the car from starting, yes.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Crank sensor yes, the other one, no.
Thanks given by:
All of those could stop it from starting.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(11-05-2013, 01:13 PM)Poodle Wrote: EDIT: Low battery charge would stop the car from starting, yes.

Sorry, I didn't explain that right.

The car had the battery removed for a while, and developed that 'fault' after a brand new battery being installed, fired up straight away. It stayed for a few weeks of driving and battery removals, then I cleared it when I finally got a decent reader and it never came back.

You're right though, it's something to do with gate position as a generic code lol.

But anyway, as Poodle says, clear the codes and see which ones actually come back lol. Wink
Thanks given by:
The battery problem could still prevent the car from starting though - had it happen myself. Or do you mean the code itself coudn't stop the car from starting?

Just had a thought, baxter, is your battery secure? Any chance it could have bridged it's own terminals against the bonnet?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(11-05-2013, 01:22 PM)Poodle Wrote: The battery problem could still prevent the car from starting though - had it happen myself. Or do you mean the code itself coudn't stop the car from starting?

Just had a thought, baxter, is your battery secure? Any chance it could have bridged it's own terminals against the bonnet?

I meant the code itself mate, as my/Sams car drove fine with it and I seem to remember Emmas HDi had the same code come up.

I suck at explaining things things lol, my bad....

They wouldn't be able to bridge on the bonnet due to the bonnet carpet? But might be an idea to check the voltage anyway. May even have snapped an earth point as the engine was chucked forward?
Thanks given by:
Will go and clear the codes and see......
Thanks given by:
Ah gotcha, i'm fairly sure there's not any codes which will stop the engine starting by themselves, don't know for certain though. I've certainly seen pretty much every common code on various running cars lol.

He may have removed his bonnet lining like me, becauseracecar. Wink

Good shout on the earth point though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Right I clear the codes and am left with these

Then I try to start it and refresh the codes then get these

Thanks given by:
P00CC = P0204 which is an injector circuit code - but I've a feeling that software ALWAYS brings up that code..

P00C8 = P0200 again an injector circuit code, and again I've a feeling that's often detected by that software, cant remember the name of it, but a friend has used it on HDis in the past and I've seen that code time and again.

P0403 is an EGR code, so doubt it's that... Probably got your EGR unplugged and it's picked it up.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeh the egr unplugged so not worried about that. What do you think then ruan? Obviously the crank code isnt there now so cant be that?

Try a different software?
Thanks given by:
Might be an intermittent fault with the ckp, starting to see more and more issues with the looms on these, think they could just be getting to that age. Might be worth checking your injectors for the same, just to be sure. Maybe OT, but are you still running stage 2? Been about 2 years now hasn't it..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: