expansion tank?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
expansion tank?
'er indoors has a phase 3 1.6 auto, which overheated yesterday(she only told me this morning) so went to check said water level and couldn't find an expansion tank, so just whipped off radiator cap and topped up, hadn't lost much and oil looks ok so hopefully no damage done. Thought I'd check my 1.9 TD and I can't find an expansion tank there either, is it tucked away out of sight or have those pesky french people not fitted one???Huh
Thanks given by:
If its a Phase 1 pre 1998 it wont have an expansion tank separate as its attached to the side of the radiator.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 11:02 AM)D@wson Wrote: If its a Phase 1 pre 1998 it wont have an expansion tank separate as its attached to the side of the radiator.

No, hers is a phase 3 and mines a phase 2
Thanks given by:
The tank is the large bit down the side of the rad, I.E under the rad cap lol, its built into the side of the rad

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 04:48 PM)puglove Wrote: The tank is the large bit down the side of the rad, I.E under the rad cap lol, its built into the side of the rad

This. None of the petrol 306s had an external expansion tank as far as im aware. All built into the Rads.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 04:51 PM)Niall Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 04:48 PM)puglove Wrote: The tank is the large bit down the side of the rad, I.E under the rad cap lol, its built into the side of the rad

This. None of the petrol 306s had an external expansion tank as far as im aware. All built into the Rads.

correct ThumbsUp

Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 04:56 PM)puglove Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 04:51 PM)Niall Wrote:

correct ThumbsUp

Cheers found it, just need to find out why it over heated, thermostat or fan switch??
Thanks given by:
Being a 1.6, I'd be tempted to watch for bubbles in the coolant tbh.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 05:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Being a 1.6, I'd be tempted to watch for bubbles in the coolant tbh.

but what would cause the bubbles? What temp should the fans come on at?
Thanks given by:
I don't like using the word as it scares people but...headgasket....

These don't seem to mix oil and coolant. But instead blow between the cylinder and waterway so you get exhaust gasses 'blowing' into the coolant, which makes it bubble. There is a huge chance it may not be that though!

Fans on a 1.6 are about 88 low speed, and 95 high speed, just roughly though as I can't remember exactly.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 08:26 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I don't like using the word as it scares people but...headgasket....

These don't seem to mix oil and coolant. But instead blow between the cylinder and waterway so you get exhaust gasses 'blowing' into the coolant, which makes it bubble. There is a huge chance it may not be that though!

Fans on a 1.6 are about 88 low speed, and 95 high speed, just roughly though as I can't remember exactly.

cheers, I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it goes, but as it's the wifes car it just makes it that bit more awkward as she usually leaves it too late to tell meDoh
Thanks given by:
Well when she gets home, give the top radiator hose a squeeze.....if its solid, check for bubbles in the tank by running the engine with the cap off. Make sure it's not pressurisied and scolding hot when you remove the cap though obviously.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 09:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well when she gets home, give the top radiator hose a squeeze.....if its solid, check for bubbles in the tank by running the engine with the cap off. Make sure it's not pressurisied and scolding hot when you remove the cap though obviously.

tried running it with the cap off and couldn't see any bubbles so hopefully it's nothing too serious
Thanks given by:
it maybe that the stat just jammed up and free'd itself again

wait she wasnt sat in traffic when it happened was she?

Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 09:34 AM)puglove Wrote: it maybe that the stat just jammed up and free'd itself again

wait she wasnt sat in traffic when it happened was she?

apparently there was lots of traffic, but weather she was sat in stationary traffic remains a mystery, need to find out weather the fans come on or not
Thanks given by:
Ah, that sounds ok then!

What actually happened? You say it overheated, but did the stop light come on? How high did the temperature go? Did it dump out a load of steam from under the bonnet at the time?
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 05:57 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Ah, that sounds ok then!

What actually happened? You say it overheated, but did the stop light come on? How high did the temperature go? Did it dump out a load of steam from under the bonnet at the time?

She said loads of steam came out from under bonnet, when I checked water level it had lost some
Thanks given by:
Is there a way of checking the fan switch other than just waiting for them to come on?
Thanks given by: