325 Tds tune'ability?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
325 Tds tune'ability?
Also alot of you are missing a point with these, yes theyer alright in a BMX but being one of very few cheep late RWD cars theres alot of kit car manufacturers making space frame chassises to take E36 running gear.

Imagine your 250bhp 350lb/ft engine not in a 1500kg beemer but in a 600kg kit car. 400bhp/tonne anyone?

http://www.gkdsportscars.com/index.html
Thanks given by:
Alot of good reading in this thread, good stuff Ruan Smile

Toms306 Wrote:So basically if I added a larger VNT turbo to mine (from the 150 for example) would that 'keep' the torque for longer or would it 'move' the whole curve further up in the rev range?

FYI the 130 and 150 share the same GT17 turbo, so the 150 turbo wouldnt be an upgrade for you at all.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Alot of good reading in this thread, good stuff Ruan Smile

Toms306 Wrote:So basically if I added a larger VNT turbo to mine (from the 150 for example) would that 'keep' the torque for longer or would it 'move' the whole curve further up in the rev range?

FYI the 130 and 150 share the same GT17 turbo, so the 150 turbo wouldnt be an upgrade for you at all.

Yeah Ruan does deserve rep...shame about the rep system here! whistle

I will check again but I'm pretty sure its bigger Dan, or at least one side is bigger anyway. :think:
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Alot of good reading in this thread, good stuff Ruan Smile

Of course, at the tradeoff of slightly less torque/power lower in the revs, but it'll hold your power until the redline. But the beauty of a modern turbo is that it doesn't affect it low down as much as it improves up high.

And also the GT1749VA is the same on the PD130 and PD150, it's the injectors they changed on the PD150.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Of course, at the tradeoff of slightly less torque/power lower in the revs, but it'll hold your power until the redline. But the beauty of a modern turbo is that it doesn't affect it low down as much as it improves up high.

And also the GT1749VA is the same on the PD130 and PD150, it's the injectors they changed on the PD150.

Didn't they also change the cams on the PD 150's ?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very possibly, cause the PD150 seemingly has cams made from chocolate.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
^^ That's what i'd heard.

Dum, That website you posted is pretty epic, basically £13,100 for a fully built kit car with engine, the lot delivered!
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Very possibly, cause the PD150 seemingly has cams made from chocolate.

Yep, thats what puts me off the 150!!

Also, I've seen peoples sig's on the mkiv's forum with 'ARL turbo' as an upgrade for the 130....I'll have to look into this more when I come back in about half an hour! :?

Edit - ARL is the egine code for the 150 btw for anyone that doesnt know.
Thanks given by:
Yeah or only about £3500 for the basics
Thanks given by:
That's not bad.. you could buy a 328 lump and get it running at 235bhp for £200-£250 if you do the M50 mani swap and then you have a car which weighs 400kg with 235bhp.. quick!
Thanks given by:
Before you go for a diesel Danny, try a 328. They really aren't that bad on juice and their sooooooooo much nicer to drive, and like you say get rid of the crappy fannymold and 240bhp is easily reachable. Very smooth, quiet, flexible engine. We all talk about power bands, but the nicest power band is a big petrol engine, plenty of low-down, then a nice smooth curve up to the redline :mrgreen:
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:FYI the 130 and 150 share the same GT17 turbo, so the 150 turbo wouldnt be an upgrade for you at all.

Dan I've had a quick look on mkivs, its timbomfg who has upgraded to the 150 turbo....so it must be different, I'm on my phone though so can't really search about it. :think:
Thanks given by:
My old rangie had this engine, chipped up with a bigger I/C, never knew the power output but went well considering it was pulling a knobbly tyred heffer-lump around. Sounded great too (for a diesel) thirsty bugger though...oh and glow plugs are a git to change! Inlet-off job.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:Before you go for a diesel Danny, try a 328. They really aren't that bad on juice and their sooooooooo much nicer to drive, and like you say get rid of the crappy fannymold and 240bhp is easily reachable. Very smooth, quiet, flexible engine. We all talk about power bands, but the nicest power band is a big petrol engine, plenty of low-down, then a nice smooth curve up to the redline :mrgreen:

I've driven a 328i with the mani swap and they are great fun to drive but realistically.. i wouldn't drive it sensibly and the fuel would be terrible haha
Thanks given by:
Driven one of these tonight and seriously fallen in love. Even though it was 190k it still pulled like a train on boost.
Thanks given by:
Ssssshhhh, you'll ruin my wallet! ;(
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Very interesting reading this!

People mentioning about fuel economy there...being a similar injection system to the XUD (if you put a mechanical put on it) would it run on veg..or are the differences what would make it not work! Could be a silly question I know!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
They will run veg AFAIK but don't like to rev
Thanks given by:
Standard they do run on veg but im not sure how well the pump likes it long term and in the winter. theres a few people on the veg oil forums running them.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Standard they do run on veg but im not sure how well the pump likes it long term and in the winter. theres a few people on the veg oil forums running them.

They are a Bosch VE pump anyway aren't they?? so they should cope exactly the same as the 306 in theory!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Theyer a VP pump and im not too sure how well the electric shiz inside copes.
Thanks given by:
The electronic bits only control advance i think, similar to the 406 semi-ecu controlled pumps IIRC
Thanks given by:
nah danny theyer drive by wire and dont have an LDA or levers inside or anything.
Thanks given by:
Is it just a case of converting it over to a VE style pump, by putting the leaversets in etc?

Asking as my mates got a VP pumped a4 tdi and was wondering if it'd be possible to convert that over to a ve style cabled pump.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No you cant convert as the main body is different and has no holes for levers and such like.

You need to buy a VE off an older car and transfer it over. In the case of the BMW this is very difficult as they use a specific body with a special 2 lug nose that nobody else uses.
Thanks given by:
Hi I know this is a old post but thought I would say my bit, I am currently running a 325tds after selling my dturbo and it is brilliant I bought it with a blow engine sources a new one and set about fitting it and tuning it currently it is chipped, boost is upped to 24 psi on std (ish) turbo decat and a fully slight through system there after and it goes like stink I think it is possibly after than my 328i that I had, in all fairness to it , it has never let me down it returnes about 40 mpg if driven gently either on diesel or svo the next few things I want do do tuning wise is I have just got a 12 mm head from a iveco cargo 7.5 ton truck and I want a bigger turbo not sure what one yet and I need to fit the evo 8 intercooler I have for it, if you still want a 325 only thing to bear in mind is yes the heads do suffer with cracking but not hugely common as I am a ex land rover tech and know these engines inside and out but I do have 2 spare ones just incase lol and you also need to keep a fairly close eye on the oil as they are know to breath really heavily so will use a bit and won't tolerate running low
So hope this helps a bit and if you need to I know any more let me know as I have done just about everything you could imagen to these engines
Mike
Thanks given by:
Well, this is an old thread i want to dig up!

Purely because there was mention of being able to convert the head on the pump over to a mechanical control.

Did any build threads ever pop up for this car that anyone knows about? Cant find anything through that youtube channel, only two videos and very little information. Would be rude not to investigate as the owner of the very revvy 4 cylinder version of this engine.
Thanks given by:
It is entirely possible and the 524TDS pump fits and its actually a pretty easy conversion but you wont find a working 524TDS pump
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how not to tune a car karl1989 5 1,783 27-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  enigne swap or tune current 7057sam 15 4,651 14-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Tom
  tune ID, bit of an old skool one stevieg 5 1,195 08-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Last Post: stevieg