engine swap, clutch question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine swap, clutch question
Hello

I have a peugeot 205 normally aspirated diesel, which engine I am going to swap with turbo diesel from Citroen zx. I would like to use original gearbox, but my question is- can I use clutch that is ment for turbo diesels( for exaple peugeot 205 td, or peugeot 405 td etc). Or should I simply renew original clutch, is it strong enough to keep turbo diesel torque?
Thanks given by:
You'd want the box from 306/ZX/XUD9 and use a 205 clutch cable and bracket from the 205 box..

The 205 box is quite poor on the NAD from what I found
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
also i swapped the diff on my 306 box to the 205 one so i can still used stdt/1.6gti shafts Smile
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
One more question has arised. The engine from zx has oil cooler between oil filter and block but I think it is not going to fit in to my peugeot 205 because there is not enough clearance between oil filter and radiator. What kind of oil filter housing or filter should I use( I tried to remove the threaded oil filter holder from the original engine but I dont have nessesary tools to do that )
Thanks given by:
this problem i also found.

The thread within the oil cooler won't come out, i used the thread from a NAD/non oil cooled model.

here's one on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GT...51a2bd11aa

Alternatively, as i've done, bring the radiator forward by wedging nuts/spacers between the radiator bracket points, also works, just about.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Just put the box in as-is. You will need an early BE1 clutch cable as they are shorter than that standard ones. You will also need to swap over a gear selector arm from the 205 and 306 boxes, it's pretty self explanatory.
I still use the standard oil filter and cooler setup but I have a repositioned rad but I've heard there is a megane 1.9 oil filter which a fits and is alot shorter but I'm not sure which one exactly.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
When you pull the selector arms off, dont let the shafts fall into the box. Make sure you keep them held up.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hello

I have some problems with coolant pipe connections. The zx engine has a little bit different water outlet( the plastic thing near the water pump) compared to peugeot. I would like to know where to connect the hose that goes to the bottom of the expansion tank. There are two metallic pipes that are going to the front of the engine and the bottom one I think goes to the thermostat housing. Is it ok to use the other one as an expansion tank hose? I am going to reposition expansion tank anyway as there is no room in its original place.
Thanks given by:
Hello

I would like to swap the na radiator for td radiator but I noticed that the dimensions of the radiators are a little bit different. Does anybody know if the radiator from td fits directly or is there something else that needs replacing( maybe the cooling ventilators housing ? ). The td radiator is quite expensive so before I buy it I would like to know if it fits
Thanks given by:
With regards to the oil filter I used the 205td oil cooler as it puts the pil filter under the fuel pump and it's slim too. Think 24mm nut all unscrews keep the seal aswell. 3 allen bokts around the outside hold it to block. Rad wise it should fit mounting brackwts the same I used an aftermarket slim fan so cant help there. And I think the watwr pipe your talking about... Has 3 fittings? One goes round the side of the block to the bottom of the rad? One had a wee cap and jubilee clip over it on mine and then one from the matrix? Is it?
Thanks given by:
I will use the nad oil filter thread, fortunately it can be ordered as an original part from peugeot. I am not sure but I think it doesnt really matter which pipe goes to expansion tank- one goes to heater matrix and there other one to expansion tank and in my opinion they could be switched over. It would be ideal if the td rad fits but I am not sure. Maybe the cooling fan housing and the front panel of the td models are different from nad models.
Thanks given by:
I went to test drive yesterday and suddenly lost all the gears -one of the gear linkages had popped of at the engine side. At first I thought it has became loose but at the closer look I noticed it also hits the turbo manifold. Has anybody experienced this kind of problem? Can I regulate the length of the linkages to make it work?
Thanks given by:
Thats really odd. It shouldn't touch the turbo! I've got solid linkages on and a large turbo and the just touched but I adjusted them to clear it.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
I regulated the linkage the shortest I could and now it only touches very little with reverse. The ball joints of the linkages have became quit loose, so I am going to buy new ones. Possible reason for the problem is that when I removed those linkages I used a lever and maybe I bent something .
Thanks given by:
I noticed that the water pump gasket may have a very little leak. I do not understand what I did wrong because I cleaned the surface very well and used torque wrench to tighten the bolts . Should I just try to retighten those bolt again? The sad part is that in order to get to the water pump I think I have to remove bottom pulley again( I checked my old engine and there it was just a matter of removing one of the timing belt covers)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  engine swap dsm482 1 1,498 29-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Last Post: unclebeast
  Parts and Tools for Engine Swap? bigcheez2k3 9 2,704 19-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Xud to hdi clutch. Flywheel question. bashbarnard 5 1,465 11-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Chairchild