First drive in the 'state hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First drive in the 'state hdi
Took it for a quick drive tonight, seems like a nice smooth engine, pulls pretty well for 90hp, but there a couple of little things I want to get sorted, and want to ask the HDI geniuses what they could be..

Firstly, there's a faint whistle noise, seemingly coming from behind the dash, it's electrical, comes on for a few seconds when I turn the ignition on, the on constantly when the engine is running. Thinking maybe lift pump? Is a noisy one a broken one?

Second, there is a rubbing sort of noise coming from the belt area, not sure if it's really a problem, I am going to change the cambelt, aux belt and all pulleys in a few weeks anyway. The steering is quite notchy too, but the belt doesn't slip or anything.

But other than that, i'm quite happy with the HDI, just needs a bit more pulling power!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I have had the whistle noise, it comes from the fuel filter housing, I changed mine once and it started to whisle. next service I changed it for a new one and it stopped. I even tried moving the fuel lines about a little on the top and bottom. didn't stop it so I think its a just some fuel filter housings. never had any bother at all pulled well and stayed nice and eco.
I have had the pump go on me ( one I the tank) the car felt a little sluggish then days later the car decided to go into limp mode and the engine just died.
also get shot of the cat, as that really does choke them. I felt a improvement when I decatted mine pulls a lot better and revs better too. mine isn't remapped either just a ITG panel filter and decatted.
Thanks given by:
Yeah de cat is first on the list! Along with a thorough clean.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I had the whistle, its apparently the fuel pipes vibrating somewhere, on the newer ones they were damped or padded somewhere to stop the noise. Isn't a problem, just irritating lol.

As for the rubbing, I'd check the cam belt hasn't moved and rubbing the cam cover or anything like that.
Thanks given by:
As Tom says, just the sound of the lp circuit being pressurised by the lift pump. You can actually get a small chamber that sits in the fuel lines to stop that noise - dum-dum may be willing to sell you the one that was on mine.

Rubbing noise from the belt area could be anything, but if your steering is notchy then i guess it's probably something to do with a knackered pas pump.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The whistle noise is actually very loud when the engine is cold, like louder than the engine! Definatly need to fix that! And yeah I thought it could be the pump, but that's an easy job.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Really? That is a bit odd, the pump is in the same place as the sender on the dt, so if you lift the back seats up you will be able to hear it a lot more clearly - should confirm that it's the noise you're hearing. Open the fuel filter housing and have a look in the bottom, if there's gold-looking filings in there it's a sign your lift pump is dying. If you're going to do that, make sure you drain and flush the filter housing before putting the filter back in - don't want crap getting in your hp system.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The noise sounds as if its behind the dash, will try and record it tomorrow morning.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
We're thinking of different things Poodle.

It's the plastic fuel lines at the front of the car vibrating on the metal chassis, does sound as if its under the dash, or did in mine anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
Same thing dude. The sound/vibrations will echo along the fuel line, so can also be heard from the lift pump hole thing.

If it is coming from behind the dash that's a bonus, at least you'll have a good idea you don't need a new lift pump lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
[Image: VIDEO0079.mp4]
http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf...EO0079.mp4
Didn't do it without the engine on tonight. But you can hear how loud it is.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
took the engine cover off earlier and narrowed it down to the filter housing.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 05:03 PM)Ricky Wrote: took the engine cover off earlier and narrowed it down to the filter housing.

like I said, you do get some that make a noise and ones that don't, like i said before i haven't had any bother at all.
Thanks given by: