Anything especially to check for before MOT ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything especially to check for before MOT ?
Like the title says, mot on my sigma is due on Friday, personally I'm not too sure how it could go, obviously it would fail on emissions but its only a stage 1 so easy to put back standard, if anybody has any advice on what to look for that would be great thanks
Thanks given by:
Just check all the simple things like lights seat belts etc
Thanks given by:
Emmisions? Theres no emmisions test for diesels, just a smoke density test so unless its billowing smoke, it won't be an issue.

Other things to check obviously lights and wipers....and don't forget useless ones like sidelights....I always forget to check those lol.

Airbag light on?

Suspension/steering components should be in good condition and tight, no damaged gaiters, that goes for driveshafts too.

Tyres - wear, bulges, puntures etc.

Apart from that, does everything work as it should? If not, google whether or not its an MOT failure lol.
Thanks given by:
I recently put HID's in and lost my sidelights for some reason :S ill put my halogens back in for the test, I'll remove the sun strip today and ill clean the wipers, recently had bottom arms and track rod ends done and rear axle bushes so that shouldn't be a problem thanks !
Thanks given by:
as said just check the simple stuff
lights, seatbelts, seats, steering wheel, wiper blades,Horn,hazard lights,tyres and fill the screen wash

anything else on an old cheap car might make it none economic to repair
wait for the fail sheet fix it and return within 10 days and the retest is free i believe

9/10 if you drive the car regular you will know whats wrong by listening fornew noises and strange stuff happening clonks/bangs/rattles

ive got 13 fails and 3 advisorys to sort through at the moment Big Grin
Thanks given by:
All I can think of at the moment is the smoke test and I think a disc is binding a little on the back as you can hear it very faintly. Also if you know the thing inside the steering wheel which makes the indicators stop when the wheels are straight is broken do you know if it could fail on that ? Thanks
Thanks given by:
Just simple stuff mate.

Check all your lights work, fill up with screen wash and make sure your wiper blades are in tact, check the seat belts work, check the tyres look good. If your on a Bosch fill it up with veg and then you'll easily pass the smoke test (veg isn't a HC so veg smoke dosen't register).

Finally if you give the car a good clean inside and out then a tester is more likely to look favorably on the car as it shows your someone who looks after it apparently.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure indicators don't have to self cancel for MOT, just have to work, with a visual and audible warning iirc. Smile
Thanks given by:
Thank you all you've been very helpful :-) x
Thanks given by:
Have a look underneath for any major rust and make sure wiring is neat and tidy and check load compensator if still fitted is connected some testers can be fail you for it being disconnected

Oh and I didn't touch my fuelling and pissed smoke test Tongue
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As said above, you'll have ten days to fix any issues and still get a free retest. Tbh fix the bits you know about and worry about the rest whem they tell you too, otherwise you could be spending money on stuff you don't need to.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
booked in tomorrow instead of friday, need to crack on and take the hid's out but really cant be bothered and it looks like its going to rain Sad boo
Thanks given by:
Just take bulbs out and disconnect wiring for hids although mine went thru sssshhhh lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Failed Mot Sad binding rear passenger break calliper, both headlight patern incorrect, and failed on smoke test Sad could have been a lot worse lol, anybody know how to make a brake not bind ? Lol thanks
Thanks given by:
Take the pads and out make sure there free in the carrier and that the caliper winds back ok and the hand brake cable aint hold it on a bit
Thanks given by:
Think it's probably the hand brake cable any way to grease it up ? I'll grease everything anyway bearing in mind
Thanks given by:
Don't think there is really. A new cable is only about 12 quid
Thanks given by:
If it's binding just un-adjust it, chances are the caliper needs a quick strip and clean.

I always check binding by jacking the rear of the car up and spinning the rear wheel, handbrake off should be free, one click you can't feel anything much but another click or two and you should be able to noticeably tell the difference.
Thanks given by:
Will give calliper a strip down and clean then. Don't want to be buying a set of rear discs
Thanks given by:
As r3k1355 says, strip the caliper down and give it a good clean and regrease. Usual cause of binding with the rears is muck or corrosion on your sliders - a good clean and regrease should do it, but if they look that bad get new/refurbished ones. Bigg Red sell both, i've got a set of their refurbed jobbies in my rears that have done 15k and are still silky smooth.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Brakes, suspension, brake lines etc etc usual things.
Thanks given by: