Cam timing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam timing?
Hi all, I'm fitting new cam soon and no idea how they should be timed in in relation to tdc! Anyone got a basic guide for me to follow? Much appreciated in advance Smile
Silver Five Door D-Tuurbo'! More Doors More Whores y0! Wink
Thanks given by:
Stock or re-profiled?

If it's stock, you simply attach the pulley and put the lock pin in and away you go. They're keyed so you can't get it wrong Smile
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
http://www.pipercams.co.uk/pipercams/www...&engine=46 got these Smile any thoughts?
Thanks given by:
My only advice is - good luck.

They're a complete bastard - you are aware you're going to have to reshim the whole lot?

Do you have a vernier pulley?

You'll probably find if you fit it without any sort of setup, it'll sound like a 1970s Ford Fiesta with the amount of valve noise, make less power because the stock cam pulley sets it to nowhere near correct timing and just be a bastard... Unless you've got a SIGNIFICANTLY bigger turbo and you've already ported the SHIT out the cylinder head, I wouldn't even attempt fitting it, it's more hassle than it's worth.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Would you recommend a pulley?

I've got td04 and getting it ported and polished, they are getting ground in etc and fitted by the person who's doing the head work; all I need to do is time them up? Or is it a case if pay someone to time it up?
Thanks given by:
You'll need a pulley, completely ignore the valve clearance specifications, they're wrong, set it to XUD standard... You'll also need to get a vernier pulley for it otherwise it ends up running something like 6-8* retarded... Then youve got to find a method of timing the whole engine as the lock points aren't there anymore...
Thanks given by:
I won't fit them until I've got the pulley then Smile cheers man, may pay someone to time it up eventually?
Thanks given by:
You can pay someone all you want, but simple as - no one knows the exact specs for that cam, I know people who've tried it and been involved with attempting to make one work at least as well as stock and I've only ever seen mixed results, I can't say I've seen ANY power improvements from the cam alone, I've definitely seen poorly set up cams cause significant issues however.

If it were me, I'd see if you can get your money back.

220hp+ has been seen on a stock cam - I saw 175HP+ and over 300lb.ft with a stock cam and stock head at 21-22lbs of boost... They're really not a restriction. Porting out the head will probably net you greater gains than the fitment of the cam.
Thanks given by:
I got them stupidly cheap so I may aswell give it a try?
Thanks given by:
If i was you, I'd listen to Ruan rather than giving it a try..
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
It'll cost you WAY more money than the cam ever was to set it up properly.

I KNOW the gains these give and as stated, they are NOT worth the hassle and the effort unless you know a thing or two about valvetrain, you're more than likely to cock it up, make less power and damage the engine... Not to mention the amount of money you'll have spent getting the valve clearances reshimmed.

I just know these cams are a bloody nightmare because the design was essentially copied... But EXTREMELY poorly - hence why all the setup data is wrong.
Thanks given by:
Okay cheers guys may just keep them in the cupboard Smile finish everything then If I happen to come across a Einstein of cams and timing then slap them in!
Thanks given by:
Why are you changing the cam?
Thanks given by:
I was looking into this but as ruan says more hassle than its worth invest that money in something else pal
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've already got them had the money for a while, as I say I got them cheap enough to just put in the cupboard! That will be what's done whilst I do other bits Smile
Thanks given by:
You keep saying them, how many do you think you need!! Lol
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2013, 02:13 PM)londondan86 Wrote: You keep saying them, how many do you think you need!! Lol
for the quad cam XUD Big Grin
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2013, 02:13 PM)londondan86 Wrote: You keep saying them, how many do you think you need!! Lol

I was thinking exactly the same :S
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It just doesn't sound right haha! Hopefully get my td04 and hdi rods in soon Big Grin
Thanks given by: