White smoke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White smoke
So i bought this HDI today and the guy told me about the slight smoke but said it runs fine but once i got it home i noticed when i rev it there is a lot of white smoke. The guy said it was like this before the decat and fmic.

Im starting to worry myself about it Confused

How much would it be for a new turbo or to recondition the current one?

Or is it something i shouldnt worry about too much atm?
Thanks given by:
Find out what the problem is before throwing money at it, white smoke is just as likely to be water as it is unburnt oil.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(30-04-2013, 06:09 AM)Poodle Wrote: Find out what the problem is before throwing money at it, white smoke is just as likely to be water as it is unburnt oil.

how can i find out what it is ?
Thanks given by:
Do some research - what can cause white smoke and how to diagnose the culprit. I'll get you started:
White smoke will be one of three things - unburnt oil or diesel or water. You'll only get unburnt diesel if the engine is misfiring, that at least should be obvious. Unburnt oil can only be coming from the turbo straight down the exhaust, otherwise it would be going through the engine and burning off. Water could be getting in from many places, so worry about that once you've eliminated the other options.

Is there any oil staining on the back of the cat around the exhaust?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(30-04-2013, 01:57 PM)Poodle Wrote: Do some research - what can cause white smoke and how to diagnose the culprit. I'll get you started:
White smoke will be one of three things - unburnt oil or diesel or water. You'll only get unburnt diesel if the engine is misfiring, that at least should be obvious. Unburnt oil can only be coming from the turbo straight down the exhaust, otherwise it would be going through the engine and burning off. Water could be getting in from many places, so worry about that once you've eliminated the other options.

Is there any oil staining on the back of the cat around the exhaust?

There is no cat its a straight pipe

Its not misfiring, its starting to annoy me now Sad
Thanks given by:
Sorry I meant car.

How did you get on?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-05-2013, 08:05 AM)Poodle Wrote: Sorry I meant car.

How did you get on?

nope there is no oil on the back of the car, ive not had any time to mess around with it yet because of work so might have a proper look on sunday if the suns out.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like its probably water then, check to see if the coolant is pressurising.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-05-2013, 03:12 PM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds like its probably water then, check to see if the coolant is pressurising.

Any idea where i can get a pressure test thingy from? Or is there some other magical way you can explain to me how to do it Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Squeeze the top pipe when the engines hot, you should be able to squash it easily, if not you've got high pressure in the coolant system.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The coolant pressure seems to be fine i think, pressed the pipe it was slightly hard but i think its fine. it only smokes when pulling of from the lights in first and sometimes second gear :S
Thanks given by:
Don't know, i'm running out of ideas...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Me too, maybe it just needs a new turbo?
Thanks given by:
Maybe, but white smoke would be unburnt oil, so there would be some on the back of the car around the exhaust.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The back of the car does get dirty fast, but i thought thats just cause its a diesel?
Thanks given by:
No, it shouldn't smoke as standard, all you should get is the odd bit of soot blown out of the exhaust when booting it. Oil splatters usually look like tiny wet patches of dirt around the ns bit of the back bumper.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ive not seen patches like that, gonna take it to my local mechanic tomorrow see if he can track down what it is
Thanks given by:
Let us know how you get on mate. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Will do thanks for your help Smile repped
Thanks given by:
Managed to get it to the garage today but he was busy but let me check it out on the ramp myself, there is oil in the exhaust, you was right. What can be done about this? i would have taken pictures but ive lost my iphone and waiting on my insurance to give me a new one.
Thanks given by:
You were right mate - new turbo time. Sad

Or could be a Big Grin lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Someone i know local has had their 306 of the road for a few years now, the cambelt snapped. So should get a new one for £40 on sunday if i got the time to take it of Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, how long has it been sat? Turbo may well be seized was all i was thinking, be a killer to find out after fitting it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Think maybe between a year to a year and a half
Thanks given by:
Might be alright, best to give it a good checking over though, make sure it's still got oil in and spins freely etc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  white smoke from starter motor apples76 12 2,388 17-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  White smoke LewisG 8 1,912 22-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Last Post: LewisG
  White smoke running shit UPDATED Danny2009 56 9,175 07-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Last Post: mcglynn