Oil cooler hose popped off /cry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil cooler hose popped off /cry
It was a loose connection from the jubilee hose area, the oil hose popped off and my 1 week old Royal Purple 5W40 oil all pissed on the floor. As soon as the light came on I halted to a stop, then drove 50 yards to the next street, whacked in the 1L of oil, then drove 100 yards to the petrol station and topped up with a further 3L oil. I am devastated, this car, although driven hard (like how it's supposed to) It still drives properly, I just need some truth or reassurance as to what damage I may have done, it wasn't at speed ~ 20 mph. The stuff that's in there right now is car lube stuff, and the car does feel honestly slower than before. I'm f*cked, if so what sort of damage I'm I looking at?
Thanks given by:
Not a huge amount, bear in mind there is still oil present on the moving parts so you're probably ok. You'd probably still find oil in the sump if you left it standing after the hose popped off as the head would have been full of oil.

I exploded my turbo a few months back and oil went everywhere but still had about a litre left in the sump when everything settled.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above, wouldn't worry mate.

Actually, you would be amazed at the number of cars that come for MOTs literally as dry as a bone - 4-5 a week (10 a day, do the maths; it's a scary percentage lol). They've survived for weeks or months like that and still work fine, a few minutes is nothing. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My royal purple oil cost me £55 FFS, it's got carlube in there right now, which I'm guessing is no better than fairy liquid.
Thanks given by:
Have you got a project thread up mate...

Sounds like your car is intresting!
Thanks given by:
advice!
don't use jubilee clips on such a crucial item
oil is the life blood of an engine without it the engine dies
get hydraulic hose's made with proper fittings for connections
Thanks given by:
Or atleast get a mikalor style clip on there :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
There was no clip on the oil pipe, I drove 30 miles before it popped out. A VERY stupid mistake of mine.

I will definitely do a project thread at some point. The car body work is a TOTAL mess, the smooth bonnet needs touching up, I've crashed the wing into a bollard, a transhit pulled out of in the middle of the road and I've hit it, the mechanical are fine though
Thanks given by:
THIS is EXACTLY why I cringed so hard in bryn's thread back in the day and everyone else thought I was being lame, but this is the precise reason why using jubliee clips on the main hp oil feed to the motor is a bad plan, for the sake of 15-20 quid for proper re-enforced crimped hydro hoses!

I doubt ull have done much damage, but any further you would have tightened it up, cars running hellish low on oil, no matter how low, as long as the oil pump still picking up oil, will go on for ever and be fine, but with a hose split it will totally drain it / oil light come on as you said, and if you have no oil pressure, it wont last long, trust me, will be matter of minutes before the top end starts sqeeling / scoring the crap out of things and bottom end will lock up in no time.

But 20 seconds up the road with bit of pressure will have been ok, fill with oil and fire up and be reet.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Can't i've ever had an issue using jubilees, the pipe ends are beaded so theres no way they'll pop off if they're done up properly. Although if i'd spent half as much a bryn did i'd buy proper joiners just to be damn sure lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
In industry, you will never find jubliees on high pressure side, only ever return / suction,
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
/offtopic.. what ever happened to bryns car? after it popped a rod i didn't hear anything else about it
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah you meant just the high pressure side, fair enough, i misunderstood you there.

Bryn binned the project once it popped a rod and bought a bini instead.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet another problem - popped injector? PugLover1984 25 4,666 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Poodle
Question HDI popped boost hoses . .talk to me. Mattcheese31 16 3,675 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum