Smart HDTV Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart HDTV Advice
Anyone work for anywhere that sells TV's and in the know?

It's been 5 years since I looked at TV's at it seems things have moved on a bit...

I'm looking for:

- 40"-55" (would prefer something 46"+)
- mountable on my lounge wall (but it must also be able to stand)
- Minimum 1080P
- WIFI  connectivity for iPlayer, 4oD, ITVPlayer etc

Not really bothered about Ultra HD or 3D? 

Budget: up to £700 but £500-600 would be better.

Here's what I'm considering atm:

£429 - Samsung UE40H6400 LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 40" with Freeview HD, Voice Control, Built-In Wi-Fi and 2x 3D Glasses
£529 - Samsung UE48J5500 LED HD 1080p Smart TV, 48" with Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi
£799 - Samsung UE48JU6400 LED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 48" with Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi

Also, nice thing about the Samsungs is you can get a wireless sound bar.

£99 - Samsung HW-J250 Wireless Bluetooth SoundBar
£299 - Samsung HW-J550 Wireless SoundBar with Bluetooth and Separate Subwoofer, Black

I get 12.5% off at John Lewis on electricals (TV's) and they're usually sh1t hot with customer service but will buy from anywhere if price is right. Smile

Edit: Looking at this it would seem these are in budget...

£649 - Panasonic Viera TX-40CX680B LED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 40" with Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi
£499 - Panasonic 50CS520B Viera LED HD 1080p Smart TV, 50" with Freetime, Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
IMO most tellys now are much of a muchness when it comes to HDTV, you'd be hard pressed to tell the main brands apart - I think they've got the visuals nailed down there.

4K or 3D content might show some diffences, but really you probably won't end up watching much (or any)
We've had 4K since Netflix launched it last year, and we've barely watched anything.

Personally I find the Samsung software layout really nice, and the TV's themselves look pretty smart too.
Sonys software (was) good too, but the TV's used to be pretty crap looking - not sure about 2015 models tho, but it puts you off the brand.

I think all tellys now need extra help with the sound as they've all been made so thin and skinny the speakers are proper tiny and crap.
Thanks given by:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31296188
Thanks given by:
We have got a samsung and its amazing. It can turn 2d into 3d with varying results however the 3d is better than cinema... ill see if i can find a model number...

UE55F8000ST

its 55" 1080p 3d smart and its just generally amazing.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 09:55 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: IMO most tellys now are much of a muchness when it comes to HDTV, you'd be hard pressed to tell the main brands apart - I think they've got the visuals nailed down there.

4K or 3D content might show some diffences, but really you probably won't end up watching much (or any)
We've had 4K since Netflix launched it last  year, and we've barely watched anything.

Personally I find the Samsung software layout really nice, and the TV's themselves look pretty smart too.
Sonys software (was) good too, but the TV's used to be pretty crap looking - not sure about 2015 models tho, but it puts you off the brand.

I think all tellys now need extra help with the sound as they've all been made so thin and skinny the speakers are proper tiny and crap.

Yeah, I'm not really bothered about 4k, 1080P is fine for me I think!

(21-07-2015, 09:57 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31296188

I won't be using camera commands. Tongue

(21-07-2015, 09:59 AM)Eeyore Wrote: We have got a samsung and its amazing. It can turn 2d into 3d with varying results however the 3d is better than cinema... ill see if i can find a model number...

UE55F8000ST

Is that an old model I can't find anyone retailing it?

I mean if I up the budget this would be a minter:

£799 - Samsung UE48JU6400 LED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 48" with Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Not interested in 4K.
Happy to drop a G on a 4K set and speaker package.

LOL  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 10:46 AM)r3k1355 Wrote: Not interested in 4K.
Happy to drop a G on a 4K set and speaker package.

LOL  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I'm not spending a G? Your welcome too though. Rofl
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I get 15% off John Lewis electricals , but you'd have to drive a million hours to me to use it.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 11:09 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: I get 15% off John Lewis electricals , but you'd have to drive a million hours to me to use it.

Thanks but no thanks. Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Yeh forgot to say ours was a john lewis deal. I think it was ex demo and well over a grand. Came with a stand and sound bar. Definitely need a sound bar with these things. They sound incredible!
Thanks given by:
samsung and LG tend to make the best screens, samsung being slightly ahead of the game..

if you wait, you might as well get a 4k TV.. the price is coming down drastically, and fast.. give it a few months and you will have a decent 4k TV with content (netflix already streams 4k and its amazing - i have a 4K monitor and its amazing)..

John lewis, Richer sounds or possibly (as a last resort) currys/PC world.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 11:17 AM)Eeyore Wrote: Yeh forgot to say ours was a john lewis deal. I think it was ex demo and well over a grand. Came with a stand and sound bar. Definitely need a sound bar with these things. They sound incredible!

Yeah I'd probaby get the cheapo £99 one to begin with!

(21-07-2015, 12:44 PM)toseland Wrote: samsung and LG tend to make the best screens,  samsung being slightly ahead of the game..

if you wait, you might as well get a 4k TV.. the price is coming down drastically, and fast.. give it a few months and you will have a decent 4k TV with content (netflix already streams 4k and its amazing - i have a 4K monitor and its amazing)..

John lewis,  Richer sounds or possibly (as a last resort) currys/PC world.

Sounds like Samsung might be the way forward then..

Don't really want to wait and don't intend to get NetFlix so is there much point waiting on a 4k?

I've already linked a 4k for £799 but according to reviews all the iPlayer etc is currently "unavailable" on them!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
There's some 4K stuff on YouTube, but it's not really worth the bother.
Amazon Prime have a pretty limited offering, and it's all shite.

Obviously there's no physical media due to the restrictions of BluRay.

One of the main issues I've seen with 4K content is half the time they seem to try and re-hash old movies into 4K, which just defeats the point.
1987 RoboCop in 4K??? f*cking come on now thats silly.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 09:59 AM)Eeyore Wrote: We have got a samsung and its amazing. It can turn 2d into 3d with varying results however the 3d is better than cinema... ill see if i can find a model number...

UE55F8000ST

We've got this model but the one from the year before. Its awesome. Image quality is awesome and like Sam says, it can convert every day TV to 3d
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
My sister has just bought this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...918845.htm

And it's pretty awesome - it gives screeen swap, has a web browser, wifi, amazon linked, itv player, "all 4" as it's now called... etc.

Very good for the price
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
So I've always said my next TV will be a curved TV. If you haven't seen one in the flesh, do so. Its amazing how much of a difference it makes
And I've just realised how cheap they have become....
http://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung-ue40...tAodZrgESQ
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 02:57 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: There's some 4K stuff on YouTube, but it's not really worth the bother.

One of the main issues I've seen with 4K content is half the time they seem to try and re-hash old movies into 4K, which just defeats the point.
1987 RoboCop in 4K???   f*cking come on now thats silly.

no actually reworking older analogue stuff is pretty easy.. the master files are already much more detailed. 

its when they try to adtificially upscale the 1080p encoded stuff that issues are caused..

netflix' native series are all available in 4k as is some of the BBC stuff.. as are some of the more recent movies (bigger titles)
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Projector ftw
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2015, 04:51 PM)toseland Wrote:
(21-07-2015, 02:57 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: There's some 4K stuff on YouTube, but it's not really worth the bother.

1987 RoboCop in 4K???   f*cking come on now thats silly.

no actually reworking older analogue stuff is pretty easy.. the master files are already much more detailed. 

its when they try to adtificially upscale the 1080p encoded stuff that issues are caused..

netflix' native series are all available in 4k as is some of the BBC stuff.. as are some of the more recent movies (bigger titles)

I need to check out what movies they've got on now, I tried a few of the Netflix series but found it hard getting along with them.
Thanks given by:
I would go for John Lewis as you get a 5 year guarantee included in the price . They are always helpful in there . You cant really go wrong with a good branded tv like Samsung or Panasonic nowadays . They always have one on offer.
Thanks given by:
Which films are you getting in 4K mate as I'm not seeing them on my Netflix???
I've got all the Netflix series, think I've got some Best Call Saul to catch up on in 4K Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'smart fone' options Magenta Sunset 21 3,893 01-02-2017, 04:30 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Decent Low Budget Smart Phone? Toms306 120 21,130 03-02-2016, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Smart Phone Advice? C.A.R. 17 3,222 19-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy