xud -better in petrol or diesel ???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xud -better in petrol or diesel ???
(24-04-2013, 03:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: holy crapola....thread off topic or what!

and why am I getting abuse when I aint even commented yet!

surely the OP is just confused?!

Hardly off topic? Just no one can figure out what the hell the OP meant by a petrol or diesels version of an XUD
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Has the OP come back to tell us what he means / actually wants?
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 03:18 PM)Piggy Wrote: surely the OP is just confused?!

Probably about as confused as we are about the question! Tongue

You can't compare it on engine size...as the GTi6 is closest but it'd eat a standard, or even stage 1, TD lol.

Technically I was right, the 1.6 and 1.9 diesel are equivalent 'midrange' engines for bhp. 1.8 and 2.0 petrols were essentially 'sport' versions. And a 1.8 is MUCH nicer to drive than an XUD lol, so they can't be compared, 1.8 does need a few more horses....or a few more MPGs though lol.

End of the day, depends what you want from the car as to which engine is better for you.....
Thanks given by:
i meant xu engine
been looking into the pros n cons of each fuel
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 05:17 PM)chippyba Wrote: i meant xu engine
been looking into the pros n cons of each fuel

Ah well that answers that

Petrol
Pros:
Faster than a derv as standard even in the 1.8 (smallest xu) form
Very lively engines

Cons:
Running costs. Unless your careful, 25-35mpg is the average
modifications can be expensive and may need a ecu remap depending on the mod

Derv
Pros:
Very cheap to run even when spanking it
D turbos are generally easy to repair. No electrics to go wrong
Easy and cheaper than perv to tune

Cons:
Noisy and unrefined
If using veg, can be a bastard to start in colder weather
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
well Im thinking of doing a fmic conversion on my d turbo n wondering if it'll b easier to just by a 2.0 petrol
Thanks given by:
2.0 gti or 2.0 xsi?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
if your thinking xsi, dont bother. Its a crap engine. Has the weight of a gti engine but no where near as much power. The 1.8 is less powerful by about 12bhp but substantially lighter and i can tell you 1.8s are faster than xsis.

If your going for petrol, go for either the 2.0 gti engine or 1.8
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
looking a gti but r they worth it over the tuned diesel eqiverlant
Thanks given by:
Bollocks is the 1.8 8v quicker than the dervs. But anyway, that's besides the point.

The XSi engine pretty much IS the gti engine, except it doesn't have the extra weight because most of that's made up by the huge manifolds on the '6. Also, there's a lot less difference than on paper, as Peugeot over-egged the 6's power figures and under-stated the XSi so the GTi6 would still sell. The main advantage is actually the 6's higher rev limit as standard. FFS get it right man. :p

If you're going to get a petrol i'd say don't get the gti engine, i've always been disappointed when i've driven one and it comes with plenty of gti tax. Either one of the 16vs are good, but personally i'd go with the 1.8, substantially lighter as Niall says. That said, i wouldn't go with the petrol at all lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 06:13 PM)Poodle Wrote: Bollocks is the 1.8 8v quicker than the dervs. But anyway, that's besides the point.

The XSi engine pretty much IS the gti engine, except it doesn't have the extra weight because most of that's made up by the huge manifolds on the '6. Also, there's a lot less difference than on paper, as Peugeot over-egged the 6's power figures and under-stated the XSi so the GTi6 would still sell. The main advantage is actually the 6's higher rev limit as standard. FFS get it right man. :p

If you're going to get a petrol i'd say don't get the gti engine, i've always been disappointed when i've driven one and it comes with plenty of gti tax. Either one of the 16vs are good, but personally i'd go with the 1.8, substantially lighter as Niall says. That said, i wouldn't go with the petrol at all lol.

Wrong wrong wrong. I embarrassed a few standard XUDs in my 1.8 and that was even when it was on its last legs!

The gti engine as a package works out about the same as the xsi. Yes inlet is slightly heavier (is only slightly, the plastic one on the xsi is bloody heavy for plastic!) and the gti exhaust manifold is lighter than the xsi cast one. Personally id go for a 1.8 because its not the fastest but the car will handle better due to the substantial weight difference and its a very lively engine unlike the gti one

/broken record.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I don't want to jack the thread, but I've been thinking about getting another 1.8 16V....

I mean literally the only 'con' is fuel consumption isn't it? Which is offset by the fact 1.8s don't break...ever. Even I couldn't break one! Itwasntme Ok so the ICV was a little dodgy, but that'll never cause a breakdown.

Theres no turbo to break, never heard of a 1.8 throwing a rod, comes with rear disc brakes and bigger fronts as well as working ABS so you won't be clenching when you make a mistake and have to slam on. Plus the fact you can't lock a disc brake...Im always worried about drums since I locked the 1.4 one and got left stranded.

And you get revs, bwarp and a much nicer power band without lag. Ok so its not fast, but it is nice to drive, and nippy as well....

I'm thinking whether the extra fuel would be MORE than the fixing costs a diesel or not. If not, I'd be tempted by a 1.8 as a stop gap for the summer..... Buy one for £600, put aside the money saved from not buying a HDi (£400 or so) for the extra fuel. And enjoy the reliability? Hmm.....tempted!
Thanks given by:
cool so the Derv tuned is the best compromise between the 2 engines
Thanks given by:
Is the '6 ex mani seriously lighter than the XSi one?! Crazy-ass shit! Tbf the inlet manis aren't all that different, you're right. Meh, i count stage 1'd XUDs as standard since you don't have to spend any money to tune them; I maintain your 1.8 wouldn't beat them, but guess we'll never know. Dammit Niall, trolling you isn't much fun any more. :p
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
a gti6 would ra*e the arse off a 180bhp xud or hdi prob by a few seconds over a 1/4 mile Popcorn

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
LOL dream on, i'll take that challenge! (In however many months it is - probably years, if i'm honest - that i take to get the turbo and intercooler on... Itwasntme )
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Dream on Puglove
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Turbo lag is boring though, revs, progressive power and bwarp are where its at! Damn I miss petrol haha.....
Thanks given by:
Tom i regularly take my xud to 6k
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
I don't doubt it, but its not the same lol.

Ragging a diesel is still boring for me, no matter how many rpms you have....its all smoke and noise at the top anyway lol.
Thanks given by:
Jesus.

My car makes its most power over 5k...
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 07:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Turbo lag is boring though, revs, progressive power and bwarp are where its at! Damn I miss petrol haha.....

Lol, if you're getting turbo lag you've got the wrong turbo, and your driving style is poor. I guarantee I rarely experience turbo lag once moving, and it's 100x better off the mark than my gti was.

Anyone saying a GTI6 would beat a 180bhp XUD over a 1/4 mile is living a lie. Look at the numbers, they do actually mean something funnily enough.

And Niall, the XSi handles better than a GTi? False. If they did, Ed would drive one. If he thought he could gain an extra 0.5mph cornering speed by downgrading to an XSi he'd do it in a heartbeat. He's not called "half a mile per hour Doe" for no reason.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh, far from standard then................and I'm guessing laggy as hell with all the power past 5k then....

(24-04-2013, 08:06 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(24-04-2013, 07:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Turbo lag is boring though, revs, progressive power and bwarp are where its at! Damn I miss petrol haha.....

Lol, if you're getting turbo lag you've got the wrong turbo, and your driving style is poor. I guarantee I rarely experience turbo lag once moving, and it's 100x better off the mark than my gti was.

All turbo's are 'wrong', they're all a compromise between top end or lag. The HDi with a tiny GT15 is surprsingly nippy off the mark, but nothing over 3k. And the Vec/Golf (same turbo) are laggy as f*ck but pull into the redline and make most power up at 4kish.

I've never been completely satisfied with any turbo diesel I've had so far due to the compromise....I want instant low pull AND top end. Tongue

Also I don't see how it can be better off the mark while you're waiting for boost? Unless you're raping the clutch anyway....
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 08:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh, far from standard then................and I'm guessing laggy as hell with all the power past 5k then....

(24-04-2013, 08:06 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

All turbo's are 'wrong', they're all a compromise between top end or lag. The HDi with a tiny GT15 is surprsingly nippy off the mark, but nothing over 3k. And the Vec/Golf (same turbo) are laggy as f*ck but pull into the redline and make most power up at 4kish.

I've never been completely satisfied with any turbo diesel I've had so far due to the compromise....I want instant low pull AND top end. Tongue

Also I don't see how it can be better off the mark while you're waiting for boost? Unless you're raping the clutch anyway....

I don't even have a response to this, other than:

[Image: 1314029819767.png]
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
^^^^^ Yeah i gave up too.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 06:50 PM)Poodle Wrote: Is the '6 ex mani seriously lighter than the XSi one?! Crazy-ass shit! Tbf the inlet manis aren't all that different, you're right. Meh, i count stage 1'd XUDs as standard since you don't have to spend any money to tune them; I maintain your 1.8 wouldn't beat them, but guess we'll never know. Dammit Niall, trolling you isn't much fun any more. :p

Substantially! The 6 mani looks alot bigger but its only 1mm steel. The xsi one is cast and must be at least 5mm thick. Its seriously weighty for something small.
Correct a stage 1 doesnt really cost anything but i can still speak from experience that my 1.8 was alot quicker than a standard DT. But like i said in my pro and con post, its easy and cheap to tune a DT. Any proper tuning on any of the perv 306s generally requires a remap which also requires a new ECU so your already looking at 1k+ just to get the most out of that ever so slightly larier cam you have just fitted.

Swings and roundabouts really.
And f*ck you and your trolling. Oh and we may find out this time next year about if my 1.8 will have a stage 1 dt but it might not be strictly standard.....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
End of the day this is the question the OP needs to ask:

"Am I the kind of person who can't perservere with anything and get's bored/frustrated and therefore gives up easily?"

If the answer is yes, buy a 1.8xs. Minimal maintainence, fast, cheap and fun.

If the answer is no, then buy an XUD engined car, it's far more rewarding to work on it yourself and know that when you get the results from setting it up right, it is down to you're hard work and perserverence.

There are very few cars that you can modify on next to no budget, the XUD engined cars are one of them.
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 06:04 PM)Niall Wrote: if your thinking xsi, dont bother. Its a crap engine. Has the weight of a gti engine but no where near as much power. The 1.8 is less powerful by about 12bhp but substantially lighter and i can tell you 1.8s are faster than xsis.

Niall...i dont appriciate your hate towards the XSi......at least they dont tap like the 6 Tongue
[Image: untitled_zps1adc0365.png]
138 BHP XSI
(21:20:51) Just_Sean: i had a pokey bum wank in the bath once and i shit you not, i burped a bubble
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 09:38 PM)Mrs puglove Wrote:
(24-04-2013, 06:04 PM)Niall Wrote: if your thinking xsi, dont bother. Its a crap engine. Has the weight of a gti engine but no where near as much power. The 1.8 is less powerful by about 12bhp but substantially lighter and i can tell you 1.8s are faster than xsis.

Niall...i dont appriciate your hate towards the XSi......at least they dont tap like the 6 Tongue

Gutted. Should of bought a proper engine'd car.... :p
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Just for everyone's knowledge. Me and Srowell had a head to head drag race in my stage 1 xud
1.8 had the advantage but not by much, think it was more the revving capabilities
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned from 2040 in UK Welshy_Pete 17 3,640 10-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Last Post: RA306
  What would you have. Petrol or diesel 306 bashbarnard 38 5,736 27-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Orta
  Petrol or diesel Craig-o 21 4,441 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Last Post: procta