loud knock from passenger side front wheel area

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loud knock from passenger side front wheel area
Had this noise happening for a while, only to be made worse when I hit a badger doing 60 the other week. On left hand bends and bumps there is a really loud knock, but its more like something's loose and rattling around a lot. Changed the p bush on bottom arm as it was ruined, still no difference. If you grab the wheel off the ground, there is no movement from the ball joint, but there is a little side movement that feels like track rod end, but it has no play in track rod end itself at all, still solid.
Noticed earlier that the passenger wheel looks to be facing a little outwards when the drivers wheel is straight . What is the chances that I've bent the track rod itself or worse ruined the steering rack?
Any help would be amazing, thanks
Thanks given by:
Drop link.. first port of call for any knock especially over bumps.
Thanks given by:
Already changed them, made no difference
Thanks given by:
Did you tighten them up properly? They still knock if they aren't done up right! ..not from past experience or anything..
Thanks given by:
Yep, double checked everythings tight. The noise is actually quite worrying
Thanks given by:
checked the drive shaft?
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
I'd say something's bent after you hit the badger which has made things worse, especially if one wheel is at a slightly different angle to the other.
Thanks given by:
is this a single knock or rythmic...ie knock knock knock knock
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Checked your springs? I broke 2 on a pothole the other day, a knock from only left side though but when jacked up both had snapped at the top Sad
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Sorry both wheels are straight, it being dark+ tired didn't help haha. Its rythmic knock, when your on a bumpy road it does it too. Definately not springs, put coilovers on yesterday and knock is still there.
There feel like there's a bit of play if you grab wheel in 9-3 position and shake it, but nothing grabbing it at top and bottom.
Thanks given by:
Are you sure the track end is ok? Same symptom I had with a worn TRE....

The other option is wheel bearing. Mine does this and 'groans' a lot on bends, but with my hands I can't feel any movement in the wheel when its jacked up. It's definitely the bearing though as it's rough as hell when spun, and I've changed wheels so it can't be them.
Thanks given by:
Had a wheel bearing not too long ago. I can't feel any play in the track rod end but ill check it again. Anyone have any idea how to test the driveshaft?
Thanks given by:
Fair enough...could be a duff part though. For the driveshaft, leave the car on the floor (if its not too low!) then try and twist the shaft...it shouldn't move unless it's worn. But you usually get a loud clicking when they start to fail.
Thanks given by:
Ill try that tomorrow/ Thursday and at same time ill check the track rod end again. Let you know how I get on
Thanks given by:
Shed some light on this- changed the track rod ends with no luck, knock still there.
Found that where the ball joint goes into the hub had gone oval so changed for a known good hub, play has gone but knock still there Sad
Got a new ball joint on the way incase that's the problem, and while I'm there ill change the front bottom arm bushes as I have them anyway.
If that fails then only things left are driveshaft and steering rack.
What are the chances of one of the above causing a continuous knock when cornering?
Thanks
Thanks given by:
have you checked inner ARB bushes??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Changed ball joint and front bottom arm bushes, still a knock Sad
Was thinking of the inner arb bushes, how do you test these?
thanks
Thanks given by:
Not sure how you could really test them. I'd just assume that they have probably never been changed and will be shot.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What are they like to change? I suppose it would be remove the anti roll bar from the car and fit them that way?
Thanks given by:
no...

just need to undo the clamps...lots of wd40 and pull the bushes out and squeeze on the new ones...

they pretty cheap so worth doing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Worth uprating them or staying standard?
Thanks given by:
Just checked drive shaft for play, doesny move at all when trying to twist it.
Only other options are anti roll bar bushes or steering rack
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:21 PM)Jake949 Wrote: Just checked drive shaft for play, doesny move at all when trying to twist it.
Only other options are anti roll bar bushes or steering rack

just a stab in the dark, from my own experiance. look at ther steering rack. jack it up and get someone to turn from lock to lock and watch the arm move neatly, or with a bend in my case. i know it doesn`t explain the rhythmic(or however its spelt) in theory, but the knocking in general
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Front wheel bearings Mighty306 0 1,406 22-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Knock from the front left wheel area johnny625 15 8,702 08-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Zxmad98
  GTi6 Knock Toms306 12 3,385 21-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Toms306