how low
How low should I go with standard shocks
Thanks given by:
no more than 40mm really
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
grab some gti shocks cut the bump stops in half the 60mm ThumbsUp

i have a set of 50mms on Dt shocks and they were fine when they were fitted to the car, for sale if you want them, shocks & top mounts aswell

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
All the way, take the springs out and use the bump stops as the springs. Job done.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
No springs in front, 4nicks at the back lad only way!!!
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 09:41 PM)E_KEL95 Wrote: No springs in front, 4nicks at the back lad only way if you total brain dead !!!

EFA Big Grin

Thanks given by:
I'm down 60mm on standard shocks for 2 and half years. Never had a problem.
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 07:59 AM)TomLum Wrote: I'm down 60mm on standard shocks for 2 and half years. Never had a problem.

Ohhh f*ck she must be low sir??? Im running coilover wit the helpr out an th other cut in half sits real low now!!! an 4 oul dirty nickers at the beck shes virgin tight am telin ye!!
Thanks given by:
Awesome. just got some 60 mill drop springies
Thanks given by:
(18-04-2013, 09:23 AM)E_KEL95 Wrote:
(18-04-2013, 07:59 AM)TomLum Wrote: I'm down 60mm on standard shocks for 2 and half years. Never had a problem.

Ohhh f*ck she must be low sir??? Im running coilover wit the helpr out an th other cut in half sits real low now!!! an 4 oul dirty nickers at the beck shes virgin tight am telin ye!!

thats clevever enit. till your car goes light . whats left of the spring dislocates jams in the wheel , locks your wheel sends the car spinning down the road and kills the family coming the other way .

Idiots like you doing dangerous things like that to your car that makes roads unsafe and push insurence premiuns through the roof

Thanks given by:
To be honest on standard shock's I wouldn't want to go anything past 30mm. From a handling perspective 60mm on standard shocks will probably make the car handle crap and with the roads the way they are in this country you'll f*ck your car up in no time.

Save up for some semi-decent stuff like bilsteins and lower it properly. Best way.
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2013, 09:12 AM)puglove Wrote:

thats clevever enit. till your car goes light . whats left of the spring dislocates jams in the wheel , locks your wheel sends the car spinning down the road and kills the family coming the other way .

Idiots like you doing dangerous things like that to your car that makes roads unsafe and push insurence premiuns through the roof

many thanks for your words of wisdom, but seems 60mill is possible, mine are going tomorrow
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2013, 05:14 PM)Bertman Wrote: To be honest on standard shock's I wouldn't want to go anything past 30mm. From a handling perspective 60mm on standard shocks will probably make the car handle crap and with the roads the way they are in this country you'll f*ck your car up in no time.

Save up for some semi-decent stuff like bilsteins and lower it properly. Best way.

TBH iv been there done that. and 60mm on OE shocks is epic from a handimg point of view. just harsh on the shocks and your spine on rough roads
. it will kill shocks and top mounts within 5-10k miles but it womt really damage anything eles.

Thanks given by:
(19-04-2013, 06:53 PM)puglove Wrote:
(19-04-2013, 05:14 PM)Bertman Wrote: To be honest on standard shock's I wouldn't want to go anything past 30mm. From a handling perspective 60mm on standard shocks will probably make the car handle crap and with the roads the way they are in this country you'll f*ck your car up in no time.

TBH iv been there done that. and 60mm on OE shocks is epic from a handimg point of view. just harsh on the shocks and your spine on rough roads
. it will kill shocks and top mounts within 5-10k miles but it womt really damage anything eles.

The lack of body roll will probably be noticeable, but I wouldn't call handling epic. Far from it... you'll end up with mix matched shock and spring rates, not just on the front, but front to rear as well as most people just lower the back end and make no adjustments to spring rates, ARB's blah blah blah.. you get the idea.

If it's just for looks then it doesn't matter go for it. But for a properly dedicated fast car it's a waste of time.

I'd probably go with you on your second point... except for scrubbing (and all of the various side effects of that), harsh ride effects on various (already dubious quality) interior plastics, driveshafts (if running far too low), bump steer effects (also from running too low)... I won't go on, I'm boring myself! ha

(19-04-2013, 05:57 PM)spawno88 Wrote: many thanks for your words of wisdom, but seems 60mill is possible, mine are going tomorrow

60mm is easily possible.. so is 120mm doesn't mean it'll be any good though. Dodgy

just sayin'
Thanks given by:
I do suspect it won't be great. But just for looks until I can do the job properly. And the springs cost next nothing
Thanks given by:

Lol, low is nothing if you're tucking 1990's Citroen wheels. Drag your car's arse as much as you want, shows how much you fail at everything.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
well i have fitted the springs, and its sitting nice, think it will need a few weeks to settle but i like the ride, going to stiffen up back end and probably get some arb's of a 6, or if there is any suggestions for other arb@s that would be better? will upload some pics as soon as i figure out how to lol
Thanks given by:
(22-04-2013, 05:31 PM)spawno88 Wrote: well i have fitted the springs, and its sitting nice, think it will need a few weeks to settle but i like the ride, going to stiffen up back end and probably get some arb's of a 6, or if there is any suggestions for other arb@s that would be better? will upload some pics as soon as i figure out how to lol

Yeah custom thicker ones but they cost £££££££

Thanks given by:
now you have got me thinking, im pretty good with a piece of mettle and mandrell
Thanks given by:
Its not as simple as just size though buddy lol , you could have the bars twice as thick but 3x as soft if not made correctly/ used the correct matirials, blah blah blah, look at places like pug1off and that,

I have Hybrid ARBs and TBs in my spare room Tongue

Thanks given by:
Im not sure if im reading correctly, but you was going to attempt to make your own Torsion bars?
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
On the 1.8 i ran 60mm springs on slightly upgraded shocks. On the 1.4 i ran 40mm springs on standard shocks. Upgrade the shocks if you can but standard ones were never a problem for me.
Thanks given by: