GUIDE: Electric Dimming Rear View Mirror
Thanks given by:
Nice work mate but does it work
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Nice work mate but does it work

good question ! the light comes on Smile
will have to go for a drive later
Thanks given by:
Its hard to notice it working as its really slow, hold your finger over the forward sensor and you can see it changing
Thanks given by:
Thought id add my experience to this.... ITS SO EASY! It took literally 15 minutes and most of that was spent looking for the soldering iron! I had a little practice removing and fitting the mirrors on the 1.4 in case i did it wrong and smashed the screen but it wont go wrong if youre patient and wingle it from side to side! Do what cully does in those videos as theyre spot on!

So this is the rain detector loom so you want brown pin 3 and yellow pin 7...

[Image: IMG_20120410_170412.jpg]

and then i found that it wont fit over the detector if unless you cut out that rather large tab. A few seconds with mr Dremel fixed that!

[Image: IMG_20120410_171129.jpg]

wired, soldered and heat shrink done...

[Image: IMG_20120410_174511.jpg]

and fitted and testing! :dance:

light....
[Image: IMG_20120410_175100.jpg]

darker....
[Image: IMG_20120410_175126.jpg]

darkest!
[Image: IMG_20120410_175120.jpg]

And for the record the C5 mirrors are about £40 on ebay but cully gave me a heads up for one for £19 delivered! If the mirror doesnt come with the car side loom ask the seller if they can include that as it makes life a lot more easy!
Thanks given by:
well done glad it worked ok for you Wink
Thanks given by:
Tempted to do this myself on the erm well you know Tongue .....these mirrors only need a live and earth feed right? So I could take that from anywhere...

Also, seeing as theres one ebay thats constantly dimmed........would that be fixable cully or is it completely knackered?
Thanks given by:
dont buy a broken one as there is electronics that control the light levels and dimming

and yes 2 wires 12v+ and 0v

but the one i used has a 3rd wire which go's to the reverse lights (12v+) switch that lightens the mirror for reversing
Thanks given by:
you clever bugger
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cully Wrote:dont buy a broken one as there is electronics that control the light levels and dimming

and yes 2 wires 12v+ and 0v

but the one i used has a 3rd wire which go's to the reverse lights (12v+) switch that lightens the mirror for reversing

Ah ok, I don't really know how they work lol....magic probably. :?

Sounds simple enough to wire in, and i was wondering about the reversing with it as I always flick the manual one when reversing.

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Id like to add to this tutorial. Today me and Ned went to the scrap yard and got a autodimming mirror from a 406. It was off a high spec 406 with electric seats and all so you wont find one on any of the lesser models. Its much wider than the C5 one so catches on the sun visors when straight however when adjusted to the position needed for driving it clears the visors by a few mm's. It also has exactly the same mount as the 306 so there is no cutting or trimming needed!

Its the same as the C5 one. Pin 3 and 7 on the rain detector. And on the mirror the you want Pin 1 (yellow with green bands) and Pin 2 (grey not orange as on the C5).

[Image: IMG_20120417_165615.jpg]

So...

406 Car side plug
Pin1 - Green/yellow
Pin2 - Grey
*Pin 3 is presumeably for reversing to lighten the mirror for a better view*
too

Rain sensor
pin 7 ground - Green/Yellow
pin 3 ign sw +12v - Brown

[Image: IMG_20120417_171216.jpg]

best bit? We got sill protectors and window switches and it all came to £5! Much cheaper than buying one off ebay!
Thanks given by:
Can confirm it works great, it was a 406 rapier we got it out of. Its got a really nice field of view and the shading works well. Nice addition after our scrapyard sesh! Also got all the other electrics sorted in the Estate so she is all OEM + now. Just got to find that stupid rear windscreen wiper bolt cover !
Thanks given by:
Ps loving the identical Diablo 306s Tongue (don't look at the front of them!)
Thanks given by:
Which scrappy was that? :o.
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Which scrappy was that? :o.

DJ Spalls which is 5 minutes from mine! We turned up and said can we have a look around and he said sure and we just walked straight through! No jackets or helmets! There was a good selection of cars but no golfs tom! There were some 'Dezent Alloys' and a full body kit for some random car! It was pretty good and had about 8 406s in and one 306 LX in diablo. Not much use when ive got an identicle one sat on the drive for parts! lol

There were lots of trucks and truck cabs too and the truck boxes around the perimeter of the compound. Some had opbviously been filled and left for years!

[Image: IMG_20120417_125138.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They are pretty chilled out place, always room for a good bit of haggling. I got a new Window/mirror control unit, 4 silver cill protectors, 2 number plate light lenses, the auto mirror and loom all for a fiver !
Thanks given by:
The 307 mirrors are the same too, (narrow like the c5).
I drilled a hole through the standard 306 base to mount mine. Same place as it would be on the 406 ones.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I thought about drilling a hole but decided i couldnt really be bothered to take it all apart and risk breaking things!
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Which scrappy was that? :o.

DJ Spalls which is 5 minutes from mine! We turned up and said can we have a look around and he said sure and we just walked straight through! No jackets or helmets! There was a good selection of cars but no golfs tom! There were some 'Dezent Alloys' and a full body kit for some random car! It was pretty good and had about 8 406s in and one 306 LX in diablo. Not much use when ive got an identicle one sat on the drive for parts! lol

There were lots of trucks and truck cabs too and the truck boxes around the perimeter of the compound. Some had opbviously been filled and left for years!

[Image: IMG_20120417_125138.jpg]

Ah was gonna say you wouldnt have got it that cheap from whip street lol!

Did they have any PD engined cars in? (diesel vags basically) ninja

Also, might have one of them rear wiper caps if you still need it Ned....
Thanks given by:
If youve got one tom drop it off at mine next time youre round! Erm... they didnt really as far as im aware! They had lots of french stuff, a few audis but no volkswagens!
Thanks given by:
Toms, if you have one that would be great, its a small stupid thing but it really bugs me! Its the only bit of trim iv not been able to find!
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:If youve got one tom drop it off at mine next time youre round! Erm... they didnt really as far as im aware! They had lots of french stuff, a few audis but no volkswagens!

Audi is part of VAG!! Any TDIs with all red letters? ninja

And yeah will do....you'll have to remind me to look in the shed for it later when I'm home though lol. Smile
Thanks given by:
Cheers Tom, Im often round Sams scrounging bits of 306 Smile
Thanks given by:
nauest Wrote:Cheers Tom, Im often round Sams scrounging bits of 306 Smile

No worries, I'm often round Sams breaking bits of 306s lol
Thanks given by:
One day youll both come over and things will be scrounged and broken! D: Erm nothing that special mate. I think they have a special section for porsches and stuff but we didnt have time to see that! Tom I think ned has now found that his wiper cover is a special estate one that has a hole for a water jet so dw about it.
Thanks given by:
A hole for the washer? Like a phase 2 hatch then?
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:A hole for the washer? Like a phase 2 hatch then?

maybe.
Thanks given by:
Don't worry, I got a whole new wiper arm for a tenner of ebay, had enough of trying to find one that fitted!

Cheers though
Thanks given by:
Just removed the C5 mirror from my 1.8 and fitted it to the estate.

Got a few more pictures! The yellow and brown are the ones you want!
[Image: IMG_20130106_145610.jpg]

Yellow to yellow and orange to brown Smile
[Image: IMG_20130106_124457.jpg]

and remember to curl up the spare wire!
[Image: IMG_20130106_145540.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hey
might be a silly question but can i mod in rain sensor on an old pug?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Rear Electric Window Conversion londondan86 20 11,474 21-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Just Sean
  Guide: Front and Rear seat removal ginge191 15 13,637 09-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: ginge191
  GUIDE: Tinting Rear Lights Eeyore 17 7,430 29-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: kingy