Project- 306 2.0 8v Turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project- 306 2.0 8v Turbo
(17-06-2014, 07:49 AM)Grant Wrote: lol you don't hang about.

How about some louvres facing the windscreen to draw the hot air out? Would be more subtle than a scooby vent or similar Smile

Possible, i will have a look when the time comes to fit the bonnet. the main problem now is the wiring, i am looking at using my 1.8 loom as it has the single coil pack connector, i need to compare the pin arrangement to the existing loom and see what needs to be changed if thats possible.

The other issue is the ECU is from a late model car so i need to have it re-coded, i am hoping my mate can sort this though fingers crossed.

Still a way off from starting it up but the milestone is that th eengine and box are in.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
Made this today, the engine now sits perfectly, just need to spray it.

[attachment=16943]

[attachment=16944]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
I have got 287 N/A in my 306 and yeah it does cost a lot.
287 Bhp N/A Big Grin
Built by Pug1Off
1/4 mile in 13.6
Now in french car mag
Thanks given by:
Today consisted of shredding my hands fitting the clutch cable, got it in the end though. Then turned my attention to the heater matrix pipes, one of the pipes connects down near the turbo actuator, so i bastardized the metal pipe off my gti-6 engine and to be fair it looks like it rolled out the factory like it. The other pipe was simpler to make, again using a bend and a piece of metal piping from the 1.8 engine and it was done.

Next i turned my attention to the fuel lines, again bastardized a bracket off the 6 engine and shortening the existing fuel pipes from the turbo engine its all sitting pretty good.

I know this engine looks untidy so part of my build is to try and make it tidier.

[attachment=17005]
[attachment=17006]
[attachment=17007]
[attachment=17008]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Fair play mate. You have really gotten a wriggle on with this. Its amazing how quick you are getting through it all.

Any closer on the wiring side of things?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2014, 03:28 PM)Grant Wrote: Fair play mate. You have really gotten a wriggle on with this. Its amazing how quick you are getting through it all.

Any closer on the wiring side of things?

Not yet mate, i have the ecu pin data of what goes where but what i could really do with is a diagram of the wiring block connectors that sit on the left hand inner wing and run all the way to the back of the fuse box in the car. Plus i have the coding issue as the ecu i have is from a later model and is not unlocked.

Still got lots to do:-

Exhaust system
Aux drive system
Drive shafts to go back in
Interior back together
Re-locate the ecu to the N/S of the engine bay
Make a battery breather.

The list goes on lol

But at least it is starting to look like a car again.

just cant wait to fire it up for the first time
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Just seen you are in Rochester mate if you need a hand with anything just give me a message.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2014, 08:03 PM)Jtrigga Wrote: Just seen you are in Rochester mate if you need a hand with anything just give me a message.

Cheers, we will have to get a south east meet together once the car is finished
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Cracking idea Big Grin
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
finished making up the ecu box today, and have made a start on the wiring now i have the diagrams. But its prooving a mission at the mo. Anybody good with electrics Tongue

[attachment=17496]

[attachment=17497]

[attachment=17499]

[attachment=17500]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
misson aborted. Sending the loom to pug1off for them to do, wiring is my weak point. Angry

Once its back need to get the ecu unlocked then i can go for first start upInlove
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Hi all

Thought it was about time i did an update.

Got the loom back from pug1off, spent what felt like an eternity plugging in and locating it around the engine plus insulating and putting on conduit, my car OCD really took hold. I had to relocate the ecu to the otherside of the engine as my original plan was not going to work.

went for first start and it just turned over, cut a long story short it came down to a faulty inertia switch.

Fired the beast up and she ran, i was over the moon.

But as always somthing has to shit on your day, the RPM slowly rose to 4000, hmmm faulty throttle position sensor i thought, unplugged it and the revs dropped to 1500 rpm- still not right, fitted the position sensor from my 1.8 but still the same happened, i am wondering if it is the idle air control valve playing up. Hope to god its not the ECU. if anybody can shed any light on my problem its gladly appreciated.

Not to be downheartened i took it for a spin round the yard, with no exhaust on. What a sound Inlove

Still got loads to do but at least its now running Inlove

[attachment=19607]

[attachment=19608]

[attachment=19609]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
These goodies turned up in the post today, so i now have power steering.

Still having idling issues but cant really do any proper diagnosis till i have everything plummed in.

I will upload tonight the first start video and moving the beasty around.

Still a long way to go yet but hopes are it will be ready for next summer

[attachment=19674]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:

1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Don't know how I missed this before, looks awesome!

Vents at the base of the windscreen will be much better at pulling air into the engine bay rather than out of it, as it's a high pressure area.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
good work mate
Thanks given by:
Glad to see its running mate. Don't worry about the little issues. You will always get them with these sorts of builds.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hi all

Thanks for the comments

I am going to put a subtle bonnet vent between the washer jets, that sits directly above the hot side of the turbo, which in theory will push the hot air down from the back of the engine out underneath the car.

I have had a quote to make the downpipe which is £250, but looking at it if i could bastadise a Xantia TCT downpipe, i am sure that would work. I have a straight through cat back sportex gti-6 exhaust system to go on and can’t wait to hear what it sounds like.

But as usual funds are beginning to run low.

Still a long way to go yet.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Now have dash lights.

After two days i had a broken switch feed wire.

I now have bright red led dash and clock lights to go with the black and red theme of the car.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
More goodies today Inlove

[attachment=19847]
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
The intercooler, radiator and cooling fans are now in. The cooling fans are doing a great job as the car stays bang on 90 even when left running for an hour, i have also wired in a seperate switch so that i can run the fans should it get too hot.

The intercooler was a bit of a mission, but well worth the time taken in the end.
ran it up today and had no problems with airlocks etc.

Could not resist, empty work yard. Play time. I dont know why so many are against this engine, i am more than impressed, mine is not set up yet but when it comes on boost its awesome.

[attachment=19924]

[attachment=19925]

[attachment=19926]

[attachment=19927]

Still kicking myself for not doing this conversion in the first place, but we live and learn.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Looking good buddy! Got a 'on the road' date? Smile

Be curious power/mpgs/weight/£ figures against similar GTi6 etc Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I love the tct engine, even when he is old and low performance, I see it ideal for small cars, easy monage a std turbo engine with 200hp takes little money where gti6 need more work and more money to get that power. . .
A friend applause for that work.
Thanks given by:
I am hoping to have it done and on the road end of May start of June 15, but there is no rush.

What i like most about this engine is that it was a factory design turbo engine with a 8.0:1 compression ratio. And it is a strong unit. In the 406 and the Xantia they are both big cars so the standard 150bhp would feel a bit sluggish. But in a 306 running at 15psi coupled with the 6 speed box its bloody fantastic.

As for what would be quicker I don’t think there would be much in it, the 6 has the ability to rev high, but the TCT has the low down grunt. Funny enough the TCT block is exactly the same as the gti-6 block, i was wondering if you could fit the gti 6 head to the tct block?

I am looking to upgrade the Turbo to a Nissan 200sx s13 GT25 but there is not much room for a larger turbo. The other option would be to get the standard turbo rebuilt with a gt25 turbo cartridge and a 360 degree thrust baring, up rating the injectors and FPR, running 20psi of boost would see the engine go to around 240bhp, but I would also have to switch management and 240bhp is around the limit for the BE3 gearbox. For now though i want to achieve the 200bhp mark, so i hope i am not to far off that, running 15psi, race air filter and exhaust.

I am please about the cooling side though as that was a big worry, i have two 12 inch high power fans running a standard GTI-6 Rad and as i said in my last post left it running for a hour and it never rose above 90 not even when i drove it round the yard.

The beauty of it is there is a lot of stuff from the gti-6 that interchanges with this engine, so having a gti-6 engine was not a waste of money.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
I never worry about cooling when a car sits stationary purring away and doing nothing...

What happens when you nail it up a long hill then sit stationary with it sweating!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have not tried that yet. It behaved well when i gave it some beans up and down the yard, we shall see once its on the road.

I might have to get a oil cooler for it, but god knows where it will go
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Nice, looks good mate, as others have said, don't know how I missed this! Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Just be warned, IIRC the standard ECU software cuts fuel above 15psi or so... You'll know when it does it, feels like you hit a brick wall when coming on power - they're a bit of a nightmare as they'll do it as the turbo spools and you suddenly get a slight bit of overboost and it'll instantly cut the fuel...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
My friends old starlet GT turbo did that, boost set to high.. rev hit 7krpm then BANG fuel cut *nearly flies through windscreen*
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-11-2014, 09:28 AM)Ruan Wrote: Just be warned, IIRC the standard ECU software cuts fuel above 15psi or so... You'll know when it does it, feels like you hit a brick wall when coming on power - they're a bit of a nightmare as they'll do it as the turbo spools and you suddenly get a slight bit of overboost and it'll instantly cut the fuel...

Nothing like that so far, seems to come on boost well. Once its complete i am going to have it set up propely on a rolling road.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DeeC’s 306 VNT Turbo Build / Show Car Project darrencurry0808 63 23,106 30-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: darrencurry0808
  Project Truck Turbo MkII, gathering dust ozonehostile 418 188,131 29-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Dturboleeds
  306 XND to D-turbo track car project Sfin01 0 1,758 01-01-2019, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Sfin01