Guess who's broken down!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess who's broken down!

So on my way to work, the engine started to feel lumpy as hell, then cut out.

Thought it was one of the injectors, luckily I have 8 of them and a toolbox in the boot.

Until I looked at the fuel gauge......

*facepalm*
Thanks given by:
Doh
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
They tend to need fuel mate!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hahaha smooth! Once youve got her home it might be worth whipping out the lift pump and making sure the filter hasnt clogged up.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Lumpy? HDis don't go all lumpy, they just cut out. Trust me I've run out loads of times :lol
:
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Was going to say they normally just cut... weird thing with mine is when it cuts out it because of low fuel it brings up EML + P0230!!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Whenever ive run out it goes lumpy first...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah, mine went lumpy and cut out, brought up a few fault codes too!

I'll need to remember that a car needs fuel to move, maybe I should rethink my college course!
Thanks given by:
Don't any of you guys think to put fuel in before it runs out lol? lol
Thanks given by:
Well mine kinda cuts the power for a few seconds then it comes back fr a few seconds, might do that twice or three times before it finally winds up.

Could do with a new lift pump anyway!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
The last time I looked at the fuel gauge was when I came in to the Devon link road last night, quarter of a tank, happy days!

This morning, still quarter full, all good. Completely forgetting I park on a hill....
Thanks given by:
The fuel gauge on these things is complete fail!!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 09:41 AM)Arron Wrote: The fuel gauge on these things is complete fail!!

Couldn't agree more!

No light came on or anything, and was only slightly in the red!
Thanks given by:
Rofl

Maybe so, fairly fundamental error! Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 10:04 AM)Poodle Wrote: Rofl

Maybe so, fairly fundamental error! Wink

Yeah, it was a massive fail on my behalf!
Thanks given by:
Imagine my suprise when I ran out of fuel with a completely full tank last june!
Well I say ran out of fuel I mean the fuel line burst off the filter housing 370miles from home!
Thanks given by:
Ahh gutted. You get it fixed or towed home?
Thanks given by:
Na mate I was on my way back from holiday and I had a crabbing bucket and line in the boot so I lashed it round the filter housing! Lasted for a month like that before I finally got a new fuel line.
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 10:37 AM)Oil-burner Wrote: Na mate I was on my way back from holiday and I had a crabbing bucket and line in the boot so I lashed it round the filter housing! Lasted for a month like that before I finally got a new fuel line.

Haha legend.
Thanks given by:
Lol, never trust the fuel gauge! Thats why I always brim mine then watch the miles as I know roughly how many miles I should get to the tank. Wink Being anal about mpg has its usues lol.

Must admit though, thought I might have ended up the same as you this morning... lol

[Image: VectraBoardComputer012_zps2550dedb.jpg]

[Image: VectraBoardComputer013_zpscb262c9d.jpg]

Was ok though, got to the petrol station in time lol.
Thanks given by:
Check your in tank pump is lined up right bud, the arrow should line up with a grove on the car, or just line it up ti the rear c pillar, if you dont line it up you seem to get issues like that

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Yeah, thats probably becuase where the float sits isn't level all the way round the floor of the tank, so you can get the float 'beached' on one of the bits that sticks up I think.
Thanks given by:
Very close! At least you have a warning light, I had no signs of it!

Then again, my lack of ability of noticing things staring me in the face is phenomenal...

(17-04-2013, 12:36 PM)Arron Wrote: Check your in tank pump is lined up right bud, the arrow should line up with a grove on the car, or just line it up ti the rear c pillar, if you dont line it up you seem to get issues like that

Cheers bud, I'll get on that tomorrow when I FMIC the car Big Grin
Thanks given by:
You could always get a scangauge2 that should give you range too but doubt that will be reliable either as I'd assume it would work off the same signal the float sends to ecu...

Good luck with that!!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I have the scanguage too, tells me jack though! It says I get 65+ to the gallon, and I know that's not the case with my heavy right foot.

That and I can't be arsed to tell it how much fuel I put in it every time I fill up!

Tells me engine temps and can reset the fault codes too!
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 01:25 PM)callumcull Wrote: Very close! At least you have a warning light, I had no signs of it!

Then again, my lack of ability of noticing things staring me in the face is phenomenal...

Very true...it was flashing as well when the range got below 30 miles lol, you wouldn't have missed it!

Then again, range is crap on any car, it's never accurate. Filled up and turned out I had about 2 litres left in the tank - so it was surprisingly close actually.....especially considering how shit the mpg reader is on this car! Dodgy Scanguage will probably be just as bad, mainly becuase it goes to '999.9' mpg when you coast in gear - which is rubbish because its actually 0 mpg. If you add in a few miles of 999.9mpg over a tankful it really throws the average out.
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 09:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't any of you guys think to put fuel in before it runs out lol? lol

^^^ this lol i all ways brim mine and keep my eye on the miles as i never believe the gauge seems as its always wrong, never run out once in the 5 years of driving, sods law saying this i will run out tonight lol

Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 03:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(17-04-2013, 01:25 PM)callumcull Wrote: Very close! At least you have a warning light, I had no signs of it!

Very true...it was flashing as well when the range got below 30 miles lol, you wouldn't have missed it!

Then again, range is crap on any car, it's never accurate. Filled up and turned out I had about 2 litres left in the tank - so it was surprisingly close actually.....especially considering how shit the mpg reader is on this car! Dodgy Scanguage will probably be just as bad, mainly becuase it goes to '999.9' mpg when you coast in gear - which is rubbish because its actually 0 mpg. If you add in a few miles of 999.9mpg over a tankful it really throws the average out.

The little manual that comes with it explains that you can stop it saying 999.99mpg, but I've yet to figure that out.

You'd be surprised what I manage to miss sometimes, doesn't really give me hope for the FMIC tomorrow, what's the worst that can happen? Haha Smile
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 12:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, never trust the fuel gauge! Thats why I always brim mine then watch the miles as I know roughly how many miles I should get to the tank. Wink Being anal about mpg has its usues lol.

Must admit though, thought I might have ended up the same as you this morning... lol

[Image: VectraBoardComputer012_zps2550dedb.jpg]

[Image: VectraBoardComputer013_zpscb262c9d.jpg]

Was ok though, got to the petrol station in time lol.

Pfft, I ran the work Transit down to zero, still 5 miles from the nearest petrol station, and it went into some kind of weird limp mode with no power and a rhythmic cutting out every few seconds, almost like an intentional misfire.

Was fun, especially as I was already running late on jobs and couldnt be arsed stopping for fuel lmao

(17-04-2013, 03:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

It's not zero mpg is it though? The engine's still running, and you're moving. Therefore there is a consumption of fuel per distance travelled. Fuelling isnt completely cut off or the engine would stop.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 04:09 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: It's not zero mpg is it though? The engine's still running, and you're moving. Therefore there is a consumption of fuel per distance travelled. Fuelling isnt completely cut off or the engine would stop.

I thought injectors were completely cut off on the overrun in electronic fueled engines? You don't need fuel as the momentum of the vehicle keeps the wheels turning the engine over at say 2k rpm....so why waste the fuel?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guess what we have been doing today HDIkyle 18 4,555 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Last Post: Jake