looking at a 306 tomorrow...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking at a 306 tomorrow...
Going to look at a 306 tomorrow lunch and need a few pointers please and advise. Pics of the car are below...

Details of the car are... being sold for 350 quid, no tax, mot due beginning of may, drivers seat has slight rip, missing front fog lights, seller says ‘engine runs well with plenty of power’, cyclones,

I would like to know please... would ph3 meridian seats fit in it? Would ph2/3 bumpers fit? Is the colour rare/hard to get matching bumpers for? I think I can see some sort of keypad on the lower centre console – what could this be, and is it ‘unusual’? could the front fogs be just missing or is it more likely none were ever fitted and the blanking caps are lost?

My plan would be to buy this, get it mot’ed and if it passes or takes little to get it to pass then keep it, but if its a dog, possibly break it. If I broke it, what could I be looking at getting back for it?

[Image: 1-1.jpg]
[Image: 2-1.jpg]
[Image: 3-1.jpg]
[Image: 4-1.jpg]
[Image: 5-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That looks lovely! Its sigma blue iirc.
The bumpers will fit but not line up you'll need to change headlights grille bonnet and slam panel.
The colour coded bumpers you can get as the rear on the pictures is colour coded.
The front bumper looks to be a replacement so keep a eye out for front end smash as some point. You can get fogs for it.

The phase 2/3 wont fit less you change runners iirc.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Turns out its 'group 50' with my insurance which means they wont insure me! cancelation fee is the same as change car fee anyway so i'll go with some other company if i get it.
Thanks given by:
#1 be very careful buying a car with very low mot, look out for obvious head gasket problems, fecked rear beam, knocks and bangs when driving, clutch problems, make sure the heaters work etc etc
And remember 350 may sound cheap but once you factor in £220 for a tax disk, £40 for an mot and whatever it may cost to get it through the test all in the space of a month it soon stacks up!

#2 as kent said theres a good chance this has had a front ender so make sure everything is straight.

#3 phase 2/3 seats will fit in as long as they are from a 3 door

#4 its sigma blue (very nice and desirable p1 colour)
There are plenty about, in fact puglove has bumpers and skirts for sale iirc

#5 that is a keycode immobiliser, you have to enter a pin number before the car will start.
There have been a few cases of these fecking up and leaving the car immobile. You can unplug these and run without them, im sure someone will point you in the right direction.

#6 that is either a pov spec or replacement pattern part bumper from ebay, the original bumper/foglights have likely been wiped out in the crash.

#7 if you break it up you will/should make your money back quite comfortably but it obviously depends on whats on it and the condition of parts.

Group 50? Think they are pulling your plonker mate!
They are a lower insurance bracket than the 1.8xs
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hey

According to parkers its insurance group 11 not 50.

Hey

According to parkers its insurance group 11 not 50.

I agree with Oil-burner and kentiiboii about the front bumper as it's a replacement one it could have had previous front damage so have a good look at the front.

Where front fog holes are if you can have a look see if there's any wires inside as the fogs may have not been refitted or as you say may have lost the caps when the bumper was replaced.
Thanks given by:
i've been in touch with the seller again... it has leccy windows, central locking, clifford alarm and imobiliser. all locks work off the same key and the remote locking works too.
Thanks given by:
Miami blue, hard to find replacement panels. Only ever made in Ph1. Good buy if it comes with a years MOT, bad buy if it needs loads of work. Suspicious that they are flogging it as the MOT runs out?
Thanks given by:
350 imo is pushing it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
miami blue that is and that seems a bargain if it will go through the MOT again. One of the nicest 306s if you can replace the missing bits!
Thanks given by:
£200 max imo for it
Thanks given by:
that's Miami blue fyi, probs had a front ender so wants looking at carefully and on an N plate it could have a Bosch . . . .check it out with a fine tooth comb is my advice . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
i don't know if its just the angles of the pictures but to me it just doesnt seem to be sitting right. check the doors and wings line up properly, look at it from dead straight on from a distance to make sure its not leaning to one side. its really dodgey when it comes to repairing front end smashes, very easy to twist the shell even from a relatively light knock

and keypad immobilizers...... don't ever let your mrs near it hahaha
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
just been out to have a look at the car... I have a few questions, but not sure whuich section/s to put them in so i'll carry on this thread if ok with mods (???). in no particular order...

-enigne started fine with battery booster - seller said he would put anew battery on it.
-engine has a few drips of oil in bottom around the sump etc. cant tell where its leaking from - possibly towards the top of the engine. any suggestions?
-the left most injector was sitting in some sort of fluid - not sure if it was oil or diesel (didnt want to go poking too much as i got my smart work clothes on!) - are injectors prone to leaking?
-central locking didnt work and nor did the key fob. Clifford alarm did though.
-drivers seat needs replacing
-front bumper was on straight with good equal gaps all round and other panels all gapped up ok., seems to be some fog lights in the boot - not sure if they were genny ones
-car drove real well, pulled strongly, brakes were good once rust was removed, hand brake was also good
-exhaust seems real solid. I couldnt see a cat but not sure if it was too old to have one fitted as standard.
-clutch bite was real high but not slipping - any adjustment in these? sign of it on its way out?
-blowers inside got nice and toasty
-rear beam seems solid with even wear on tyres. no movement in rear wheels when moved 12-6 and 3-9 like. some knocking from rear though over big bumps - defo not exhaust knocking or spare wheel cage. could be junk in the boot though. Sign of anything major?
-needed new door sill seals - easy to get?
-3 good cyclones - one with laquer peel

any more input from you guys is appreciated.
Thanks given by:
they often leak oil from the rocker gasket, easy fix £7 and 30mins work, could be the cause of both your leaks most likely, central locking always goes, it's broken wires between door and body and/or knackered receiver from water damage through the ariel, all very fix-able, won't have a cat as standard no so that's fine, all parts are cheap to get, remember they were most popular car in UK before Focas came along . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
thanks for the quick reply....

little concerned with the high clutch and knocking back end tho
Thanks given by:
(17-04-2013, 12:50 PM)no2lurch Wrote: thanks for the quick reply....

little concerned with the high clutch and knocking back end tho

knocking could be the rear beam mounts and probably is, high clutch, well, you could unhook the cable off the gear box and pull the auto adjuster a few times, if it's not slipping though could last for ages, clutches seem quite good on these engines . Smile
Thanks given by:
Get it down to like 250 loeer if possible. Bullshit about leak goimg to cost you and central locking youll get itbdown easily
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by: