Rant about the inlaws!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant about the inlaws!
Basically Mrs has passed her driving test. So we're looking at new car for her. I took her to see lots of different types of cars. She's told me she has a budget of £1k. Of all people to look for a car, I trust my dad. He's bought 100s of cars in his time, and also worked for a company buying Porsches and much more so he has the experience. Her step father has told her he's found a T-plate Clio in a garage for £650, and that's all he knows. She wasn't allowed to tell me, because I'd stop her from buying it. I've said to her we can go and look but, there's a lot of horror stories about that garage, plus I'm also sure she can get better than a T-plate for a her money.

Now they're telling her she should go buy this, as its cheaper than the £1k budget she's set for her self (bearing in mind she has £3k in the bank that shes saved herself).

They say this Clio is going to be perfect for her and they know it's good because it's been looked after by(?) a mechanic. They spoke to him and he has to do rear brakes and some other bits before he sells it.
He hasn't told them what tax and mot it has, or how many miles its on. The main things you need to know.

This car is already meant to be better than anything I can find.

But to the point they go behind my back to tell her about
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have a word with your phone mate, I can hardly make sense of what you're saying! I managed to get that the car is apparently a mechanic though...?

and breaks need doing. Bet the mechanic takes plenty of those!

But seriously, I'd tell your gf you both should go see it, and that at the end of the day it's up to her, but be honest with her if you think it's a dog.

There's not much more you can do. But make sure you are clear on your opinion of the car before anyone commits if it's a shitter.

I know that's a bit harsh, but if the inlaws think they know best then let em burn imo!! lol

EDITED for you as I'm sure you cba doing it on your phone haha Tongue
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
just let her get the clio and when it falls to bits or some thing goes wrong then you just say i told you so and laff about it maybe next time they will listen to what you have to say, if there like that over a car i hate to think what the will be like on decisions later in life (i.e wedding kids etc)

Thanks given by:
As eddodooeoeodoe says, i can't make much sense of what the issue is.

from experience, work with inlaws, christ, get on the wrong side of them and you start making huge divides.

As a first car, CHEAP as always, NO POINT spending 3k on a first car, she WILL at some point have a nick/bump at some point. First car is to be cheap, drive for a year and scrap - done.

If her rents want to choose a car for her, let them do it; saying as nice as possible, keep your nose out and let her get on with it.
If anything goes wrong with it, let her/them sort it. ThumbsUp
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
^^ its alright saying that but guaranteed he'll end up fixing it when it does go wrong.
Its the same with most of my family, they ask me about what cars to buy then decide to completely ignore me and do the opposite until it comes to fixing them then its "si, can you come and look at my car?" Pisses me off sometimes!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yup, what Ginge said, who said what I said lol

You make a good point on the car value as a first car too Ginge; no one should have a decent first car. You're prettymuch guaranteed to have some sort of incident in it, and you don't want to be lumped with a really expensive repair bill for a small scrape, when on a cheap car you can just leave as is if it doesn't affect the mechanics of the car...

Also, when the Clio is dead (and based on your description it sounds like it wont take long..!), get her to get a 106 1.5nad. If Tom comes in here to say anything different, I WILL just ban him because they honestly are the best car to start out in. Cost nothing to run, cheap insurance, reliable, plenty of spares about now, easy to work on, not much to go wrong in the first place, and a BAGS of character!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 02:47 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Yup, what Ginge said, who said what I said lol

You make a good point on the car value as a first car too Ginge; no one should have a decent first car. You're prettymuch guaranteed to have some sort of incident in it, and you don't want to be lumped with a really expensive repair bill for a small scrape, when on a cheap car you can just leave as is if it doesn't affect the mechanics of the car...

Also, when the Clio is dead (and based on your description it sounds like it wont take long..!), get her to get a 106 1.5nad. If Tom comes in here to say anything different, I WILL just ban him because they honestly are the best car to start out in. Cost nothing to run, cheap insurance, reliable, plenty of spares about now, easy to work on, not much to go wrong in the first place, and a BAGS of character!

This is why i was looking for a 1.5d lol

Thanks given by:
Sorry about not making sense I am using a phone that has a crap auto correct.

Been to look at it. Sent my mrs in to get keys and he told her hes doing brakes tomorrow. So as im looking first place I look Is filler cap, which was rotten. Then I went to unlock drivers door, the key doesnt fit, central locking doesnt work either. Its done 130k miles. So time to look in engine bay oil cap had cream on it and was over filled with oil on dip stick. Got mrs to start it up didnt sound great tbh but ignored that as it had a missfire, ht lead was hanging off. So I told her to hand keys back and tell them well think about it. She says she kind of likes clios but she says this one seemed a dog. We told her parents they say well they trust the mechanic over me and it must be a good car. To which my mrs says well I trust kent and she seen the rot and the cream on cap.

She only spending up to £1000 its hard to find a cheap small car run around due to fuel prices and stuff atm.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 03:28 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: She only spending up to £1000 its hard to find a cheap small car run around due to fuel prices and stuff atm.

Yeah good luck with that...

If she can fuel a thirsty V6 or something there'll be loads about. Rolleyes I was genuinely shocked at the lack of anything at all half decent AND cheap to run for less than a grand when I was looking, especially at dealers.

Personally I'd raise the budget to £1500. Who says she'll crash? I never crashed my first car, despite buying a shit ph2 1.4 expecting to ruin it.
Thanks given by:
Theres loads of decent 1st time cars around for a grand!
Thats more than I had to spend on my first car!
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:03 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Theres loads of decent 1st time cars around for a grand!

Where?

I didnt spend that on my first either, but times have moved o, and the scrappage scheme and ressesion has ruined the used car market.
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 03:28 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: She only spending up to £1000 its hard to find a cheap small car run around due to fuel prices and stuff atm.

Sorry what??

This is a lie.

The amount of 106/205/306 NAD's around for under £500 is endless!

My 205, private sale, NAD, £350, 12months tax, 5 months MOT.

Sorry but she/you can't expect to spend £1k on a first car, it's ridiculous
Thanks given by:
It sounds like they're looking at dealers for a start Ginge, presumably for warranty.

Secondly, I assume her family would never allow her to drive something as unsafe as an old 205! Doh

They will be looking for airbags, ABS, PAS, NCAP ratings.....my sisters about to learn to drive so I've heard about that lot already...
Thanks given by:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Literally a 2 minute search, there's hundreds online!

(15-04-2013, 05:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It sounds like they're looking at dealers for a start Ginge, presumably for warranty.

Secondly, I assume her family would never allow her to drive something as unsafe as an old 205! Doh

Again, warranty is only a word; if something goes wrong, you're still without a car.
If you're spending an extra £700 for a "warranty", then sure, crack on..

Oh, and most on autotrader are dealers
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:03 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Theres loads of decent 1st time cars around for a grand!

There is cars for under a grand. But not many decent ones. A few years ago you could easily. Look when my hdi died I spent 3 weeks looking for a cheap run around with £500 but there really wasnt anything. Corsa only had 2 month mot.

At least with 1k she knows she getting a decent car with good mot. Will last her and on top of that she likes it hopefully

Were not looking at dealers at all. That clio was her parents choice becuase they dont trust me.
Ginge women are so picky she wouldnt have a old car. Ive tried her with 106s and saxos she didnt like them. She really likes the corsa which is better than what she started on which was a ka! Cars around this aera really have gone up in price for something that runs well.

Every car ive showed her is cheap but they always have something wrong that needs work which is not what she wants
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:10 PM)ginge191 Wrote: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

(15-04-2013, 05:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It sounds like they're looking at dealers for a start Ginge, presumably for warranty.

Again, warranty is only a word; if something goes wrong, you're still without a car.

Seriously?

A 188k Corsa...that'll last a while.
A P reg 106 - no PAS/ABS etc
A saxo with such high milage they won't even state it
And a fiesta without a clutch.

Those are cheap for the simple reason they're all shit, taken in as px at scrap value and the dealer wants to make a bit of profit.

Would you honestly see your sister/missus/mum driving around in one of those? Confused
Thanks given by:
mobilebeta.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304146265535/sort/atcustom/postcode/s445eh/radius/40/price-from/500/price-to/1000/onesearchad/used/page/1

2 seconds on auto trader!

60k 1.0 insurance group 1e and loads of t&t

Fezza

mobilebeta.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212204687914/sort/atcustom/postcode/s445eh/radius/40/price-from/500/price-to/1000/onesearchad/used/page/1
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(15-04-2013, 05:10 PM)ginge191 Wrote: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Seriously?

Those are cheap for the simple reason they're all shit, taken in as px at scrap value and the dealer wants to make a bit of profit.

Would you honestly see your sister/missus/mum driving around in one of those? Confused

A first car. From A - B.

again, my 205 (i know, a repetitive example, but also other nads here) on high milage would keeep on going. EASY to repair, cheap to repair, and economical.

I'll find one for you Sleepy

Thanks given by:
Another shitty corsa

mobilebeta.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304116222150/sort/atcustom/postcode/s445eh/radius/40/price-from/500/price-to/1000/onesearchad/used/page/1
Thanks given by:
Actually, that's a bloody nice 205...
Thanks given by:
Let em get on with it and when it turns out to be a heap of shit say. HAHAHA TOLD YOU SO! so next time sit down and shut the f*ck up!!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:31 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(15-04-2013, 05:19 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

Seriously?

A first car. From A - B.

again, my 205 (i know, a repetitive example, but also other nads here) on high milage would keeep on going. EASY to repair, cheap to repair, and economical.

I'll find one for you Sleepy

Its the part between A and B with the damp road on shit brakes, tiny tyres, no ABS and tinfoil crumple zones that would put me off that tbh.

I do understand your point of a cheap A-B car, but I really don't think buying a 20 year old peugeot is the way to go about it. Just my opinion though so its up to Kents missus what she wants to do really.
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 05:35 PM)puglove Wrote: Let em get on with it and when it turns out to be a heap of shit say. HAHAHA TOLD YOU SO! so next time sit down and shut the f*ck up!!

Haha thats the way!

Ginge I honestly understabd what your saying. But something with 160k isnt going to be brilliant and last a year. I dont wanna be under the car every week.
She cannot insure a saxo 1.5 nad never mind a 205 nad. Problem is with insurance is cheaper to insure a newer car than older car. So much so the difference doesnt make it worth while to buy a older car.

Also as said she wants this car to last her minimun a year if not more. Fair enough she could crash a corsa but its cheap for parts and she could have it back on the road. Btw she hasnt just passed then first time in another car shes been on my insurance for the last year driving my old stage 1 hdi. I never even had to bother her while she was driving.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
I posted some half decent cars ^^ kent!
1.0 corsa with 60k 550 I think it was.
Thanks given by:
You must be able to get a nice 1.0 1.2 Corsa C for just shy of a grand?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Corsa 1.3CDTi if you can....no spec or comfort but really cheap to run/tax/insure etc. I really did consider them and probably will get one if I moved in town and could do without the space.

As you say insurance is cheaper on newer cars too, which will be a big thing with a new driver. My Vec is a few hundred cheaper to insure than the HDi was, even after 4 years driving for me!
Thanks given by:
^^ how much were you paying on the hdi tom? Mine is 380 this year. Shame I wont be insuring it again
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 07:26 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: I posted some half decent cars ^^ kent!

I know dude but the 1.0 is a very poor engine mate saw one other day in a 52plate 60k and It was very tappy the oil breather pipe blocks and starbes rop end of the engine. Idealy she wants the 1.2 either 8v as theyre strong as f*ck or the 16v as theyre good engine and chain driven. If my corsa didnt need so much welding it would of been perfect but it was scrap car which most around £500 are lately.

(15-04-2013, 07:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Corsa 1.3CDTi if you can....no spec or comfort but really cheap to run/tax/insure etc. I really did consider them and probably will get one if I moved in town and could do without the space.

As you say insurance is cheaper on newer cars too, which will be a big thing with a new driver. My Vec is a few hundred cheaper to insure than the HDi was, even after 4 years driving for me!

Tom the 1.3cdti didnt start till about 05 on the corsas which are fetching minimun 1.5-2k. If it was up to me shed be having a hdi. Even found a s16 that needed loads of work for £250 said if she buys that gives me £400 to work with she could have mine
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 07:37 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: ^^ how much were you paying on the hdi tom? Mine is 380 this year. Shame I wont be insuring it again

A lot more than that! I'm not as old as you though lol.

Vectra is £450 for the year.

HDi for this year was £600 no mods, £650ish mods decalred.

If I could afford a new 12 plate Swift like my Mums I'd only pay ~£300 for that!

(15-04-2013, 07:38 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:

(15-04-2013, 07:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Corsa 1.3CDTi if you can....no spec or comfort but really cheap to run/tax/insure etc. I really did consider them and probably will get one if I moved in town and could do without the space.

Tom the 1.3cdti didnt start till about 05 on the corsas which are fetching minimun 1.5-2k. If it was up to me shed be having a hdi. Even found a s16 that needed loads of work for £250 said if she buys that gives me £400 to work with she could have mine

So for an extra £500 she can have an '05 plate car, which will easily last her a year, safe, reliable enough, VERY cheap to run (easily make that £500 back, tax is £30, does 65+mpg etc) and has a modern car that hopefully she'd like. And she'd even get boost. Tongue

Not being funny Kent but I'm not sure an S16 is gonna be cheap to run for you guys....
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2013, 07:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(15-04-2013, 07:37 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: ^^ how much were you paying on the hdi tom? Mine is 380 this year. Shame I wont be insuring it again

A lot more than that! I'm not as old as you though lol.

Vectra is £450 for the year.

HDi for this year was £600 no mods, £650ish mods decalred.

If I could afford a new 12 plate Swift like my Mums I'd only pay ~£300 for that!

(15-04-2013, 07:38 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:

So for an extra £500 she can have an '05 plate car, which will easily last her a year, safe, reliable enough, VERY cheap to run (easily make that £500 back, tax is £30, does 65+mpg etc) and has a modern car that hopefully she'd like. And she'd even get boost. Tongue

Not being funny Kent but I'm not sure an S16 is gonna be cheap to run for you guys....

Yeah but its a extra £500 she dont want to spend. And a s16 wouldnt be much to run for us anyway. I only use my car to work and back which is 10 minute walk up road. Im just to lazy to walk up the hill.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by: