Trailer required - France

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer required - France
Hi all,

As some of you guys might have seen from the diesel section. Jonnys car has decided it no longer likes its rockers and has decided to eat them, along with belts.

We are quite screwed for parts till at least Monday and even then everything is very expensive and quite hard to get hold of.

European breakdown cover wasnt taken, because the cost to tow it is more than the car is worth, therefore they wouldn't cover us.

Does anyone know of a place we could rent/borrow a trailer? Maybe a van/truck? worst case we can rent one in the UK so we could trailer this back to the UK and then AA it up?

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. Meanwhile we are still trying to make it at least semi run
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I think your best chance is going to be getting someone to come over with a trailer.

I can make it to Dover or Ashford if parts need to be taken to anyone, kinda owe Jonny after he rescued me at Chirstmas.
Thanks given by:
Thanks dude, appreciate it.

With the right parts we could probably fix it enough to get home.. problem is we are in Lyon... 600km from the ferry terminal Sad
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
How long does airmail take ? Got all u wud need, would come over if wasn't tied
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
It IS legal to tow on a bar over there, you just need to get yourselves a tow bar and then you're pretty much sorted. You can't go on the Autoroutes, but that's a given.

Ropes however are illegal.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
OK I am genuinely serious saying this.

If you gays put the money in my bank account then tomorrow morning at 7am after work I will go and buy a 406 HDi with a tow bar and an A frame and come and get you but you have to cover all my expenses as I'm penniless. I assume I can still get the ferry on my driving licence if i don't have a passport.

It will cost you about £1k but I will seriously do it and then jonny has a spare engine/406 to sell on.

Cheapest on autotrader with T&T and a tow bar. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p
Thanks given by:
Haha, epic idea dum.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well I already have a 306 with towbar but now a frame or whatever
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 12:36 PM)Ruan Wrote: It IS legal to tow on a bar over there, you just need to get yourselves a tow bar and then you're pretty much sorted. You can't go on the Autoroutes, but that's a given.

Ropes however are illegal.

Where did you read that?

Everywhere we have read says all forms of towing are illegal unless its on a dolly. Thats only for gb registered cars too
Thanks given by:
If I didn't live up north, I would come get you guys! Also, it would cost loads in fuel for a 4.0 V8...
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Doubt very much youd be able to go over to france without a passport dum!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 01:58 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Well I already have a 306 with towbar but now a frame or whatever

OK I'm sure we can get an A frame but ideally I'd want something bigger/heavier to tow the estate with.

I would not tow that distance on a tow pole. My best mate towed my black HDi back from KrisBs and we didn't even make 5 miles before snapping the first tow pole and about 45 miles before ripping the tow eye out the front of my car (pushed off backwards under braking)
Thanks given by:
Literally all it needs in actuality is someone to get down to Lyon with them with 4 roller rockers which I have, I would do it but I HAVE to be in work on Monday as we have a show going out and I can't not be there...

The car will run with 4 roller rockers.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 02:04 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Doubt very much youd be able to go over to france without a passport dum!

Shit yes that! Forgot you'd need a valid passport, mines way out of date now! Wonder how many peoples are in date :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I've never even had a passport lol.

As I said in your other thread, I have a complete HDi head here....if someone wants to drive it over to France, or even just Dover you're more than welcome.
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 02:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've never even had a passport lol.

As I said in your other thread, I have a complete HDi head here....if someone wants to drive it over to France, or even just Dover you're more than welcome.

Don't think you need one Tom Wink

EDIT: Best way will be someone who runs veg, cheapest option if someone is going to drive.
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 02:42 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(13-04-2013, 02:29 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've never even had a passport lol.

Don't think you need one Tom Wink

Lol....no, I certainly won't be leaving the country now! Coulda done with one a few years ago, was a pita getting a driving licence without one lol.
Thanks given by:
OK Ive done some research and although the rest of Europe can travel freely on their driving licence/id card the UK and Ireland aren't part of the agreement and also my driving licence is the old less secure type. I knew most of Europe could travel without a passport.

its the Schengen Travel Agreement if anyone is interested.

So srry guys, I cant come and do a rescue mission to France.
Thanks given by:
This is a pretty useless point im making, But if someone covered my fuel i'd drive to tom and get said replacement head and take it to dover. If i had a passport i'd take it the rest of the way, obviously if it was paid for lol.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Must be someone who dosent have work on monday who has a passport.
Thanks given by:
I have a passport and have driven in France many a times, got nothing to do but on sign on Tuesday.

But don't have a reliable car or tow.
Thanks given by:
I won't know til tonight if I'm working but I'm not 100% on if mine would make it there.
Thanks given by:
That's the problem we all drive French crap.

Could rent a car, but then it's more cost.
Thanks given by:
Couldn't someone over here rent a car transporter somewhere (London for example), drive over there monday, bring the estate back tuesday and then atleast you've not gotta take it miles back again. If you rent one where you are you'll have to drive back again unless Im confusing myself!
Thanks given by:
Don't you need a different licence for a car transporter?
I can drive lutons.
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 02:58 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Don't you need a different licence for a car transporter?

Not the low level single ones as far as I'm aware? They're just the same as a transit or similar.
Thanks given by:
If I didn't have a meeting Monday I'd drive over. I've looked on the lease company site and I'm ok in France.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
My local does a Citroen relay recovery truck.
Thanks given by:
Single transporters are ok on a normal post-1997 licence as far as I know as they have a MAM of 3500kg, usually a twin axle Transit or similar.
Thanks given by:
(13-04-2013, 03:03 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Single transporters are ok on a normal post-1997 licence as far as I know as they have a MAM of 3500kg, usually a twin axle Transit or similar.

This, your OK with a transhit style recovery truck if you can find one to rent.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trailer Questions tigerstyle 4 1,221 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  The weird 306 trailer is for sale Orta 12 3,458 10-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Legalities of towing a trailer. Marcus1991 14 2,997 26-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Eeyore