306 1.8 16v XS- Advice needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 1.8 16v XS- Advice needed
Greetings, the engine code on my car is KJR32002182, 1 is it possible to turbocharge this engine?.

I was looking at the 406 SRI engine (2.0 8v Turbo) but reading between the lines this conversion is a lot of work for little reward.

My current engine is on 103,000 and is exceptionaly sweet considering its last owner.

I have seen the conversions offerd by peugeot ecosse and i almost choked when i saw the prices.

Can anybody offer me advice on this engine as a am new to tuning pugs. So far i have fitted a race air filter and a new exhaust system as the old one was a welded on one from a 106 !!!!.

It sounds great and goes well but i would really love the turbo sound.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
hello! Yes it is possible to turbo the 1.8 just like any other engine however always remember that the standard internals arent designed to cope with the extra strain a turbo will put on them. The 1.8 is a much better candidate to turbo than the 2.0 gti engine as the pistons have a shorter stroke length which means the stock internals should be able to cope a bit better. Remember youll need custom exhaust and intake manifolds too which will have to be custom made.

Ive seen some cars with the 8v turbo put out over 200hp but then why not be unique and do it to a 1.8? Im pretty sure youd need some custom engine mounts to fit in the 406 engine too!
Thanks given by:
As pointed out, strap a turbo & megasquirt on it and run a few psi and hope the engine copes. Smile
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Think you need to give us some more details on what you are looking for.

but at the end of the day. you can turbo it just like any other engine. you may get away with low boost on OE internals . but if you want high boost just like any other N/A engine you are going to need to fork out on internals.

have google for DP engineering. they supplie turbo parts for XU engines.

also IIRC you can get a bit more out the sri engine without the need to remortage your house

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Avoid DP unless you are literally made of money!
As said, you can turbo anything with a fat wallet. I will be charging a 1.8/gti hybrid in the winter but still cant decide to go super charged or turbo.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(11-04-2013, 08:35 PM)Niall Wrote: Avoid DP unless you are literally made of money!
As said, you can turbo anything with a fat wallet. I will be charging a 1.8/gti hybrid in the winter but still cant decide to go super charged or turbo.

bollox will you! lol

looking at DP will give him a good idea of what will be needed to do a xu turbo conversion!

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by: Mighty306
(11-04-2013, 09:18 PM)puglove Wrote:
(11-04-2013, 08:35 PM)Niall Wrote: Avoid DP unless you are literally made of money!

bollox will you! lol

looking at DP will give him a good idea of what will be needed to do a xu turbo conversion!

Its already started ninja
Car will be going off the road for the winter hopefully to be back by spring with some sort of charged lump!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
the SRi turbo isnt the most tuneable of turbo engines, they are only 150bhp standard but you can buy GTi6 that will easily scrape 170bhp with simple mods and theres lots of tuning parts to boost the GTi6 lump too.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice, one option i had not thought of is to supercharge it. I have heard that the 1.8 is better than the 2.0 as its all alloy and lighter.

I googled the DP Engineering, and sat there drewling, but i dont have the 1800 quid for the conversion.

I might have a look at the supercharger route as i imagine there is more space to play with than trying to bolt a turbo on.

Would i have to change the internals if i went down this route?.

As for the 406 Sri engine, i have tried to get some info out of Peugeot Ecosse but they seem very tight lipped about it, i was told the engine would drop straight in as the mounts were the same.

Another option i had considered was to use a NA 2.2 406 sri engine, again i dont know enough on peugeots without physically buying one to see if it would fit.

A friend suggested to use a 207 GTI engine? is that possible

And the last suggestion was to use a 206 GTI 180 engine, again is this possible.

At the end of the day i would like a turbocharged or supercharged engine, coupled with a GTI 6 gearbox within the 200bhp mark.

Again any advice is really appreciated as my background is more VW.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
with a super charger you should be okay on standard internals. Lots of advice about for them etc as more people have done them than turbos!

Not sure how a 206 gti 180 mounts in but ive looking into that myself. Would be good to get the 13 extra hp but they cost about twice as much as the gti6 engine Sad
Thanks given by:
The 2.0 8v Turbo engine is probably the worst XU engine Peugeot produced after the 2.0 8v XSi engine...

If you just want easy power, you can get a drive-in drive-out conversion at Lynx if you have a GTi6 engine that will supercharge it and give you in the reigon of 250hp.

Since you have a 1.8 - you'd need to either convert to a GTi6 - fairly simple conversion to be fair, or try and sort out the management on a 1.8 and get it remapped to suit. Either switch to MM 1AP10 off a GTi and have it remapped to suit or go Megasquirt/DTA/Omex/Emerald and have it remapped...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
ive been looking at turbo kits for the last 2 months, theres a company that are called atspeed or costella will do a turbo kit for a gti for around 3.5/4k for a good 350hp that includes everything apart from internal work un less you pay mega bucks!!! or buy the high boost kit for 600+ hp

best bet is to talk to a guy called fatlip on the gti forum whos building one atm and his is all custome made
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok this is what i am looking at doing.

i am going to try to mate a turbo to a GTI 6 manifold as the turbo unit i have is a T3 from a Vauxhall and it has a good mounting surface, a trusted welder friend of mine has looked at it and said it is possible, i want to use a GTI6 inlet manifold to replace the plastic one.

My current engine has covered 104,000 miles so i am looking at rebuilding the head with fast road cams.

The trouble will be lowering the compression ratio of the block, there are decompression kits out there but there seems to be none for the XU7JP4 engine. another option was to try and find another turbo car that has the same cc as my engine, but then it could run into silly money. I was hoping just to rebuild my existing block with new rings and shells, given that the tolerences are ok.

As for the pipework i have found that a landrover 300tdi intercooler and pipe work seem to be up to the job, the intercooler fits nicely next to the Rad behind the front bumper.

Boost wise i am only wanting to run a max of 10psi, my concerns are the engine management system, what will i have to change on that??

I want to hit the 200bhp mark and be reliable,

If anyone can give me any advice on my plan if it is good or am i just pissing in the wind
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
As said previously you will need custom internals as nobody makes them for the XU7 'off the shelf'. Big money there before you start.

If you kept stock internals I reckon you could run approx 10 PSI without too many sleepless nights. Others will be able to advise better, but perhaps run it a bit rich to keep heat down.

It really depends how much you want to spend.

If you want to do it properly you will need a remap on an aftermarket ECU. You could save costs and go piggyback, but TBH whats the point when you can pick up used OMEX, Emerald, Megasquirt etc for circa £300.

To hit 200 BHP on a low budget would be most impressive. Considering they are 121 bhp standard (on paper), to get another 79 bhp on low boost, standard compression.... Shady.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your advice grant, it was suggested to me that if the pistons and liners are within tolerence, have the pistons machined to lower the compression ratio. Again is this poss?.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Theres a fair bit of meat on the pistons on the XU7 so you could do that. Just dont over cook it. Remember, the less there is on them, the weaker they become, and more susceptible to stressing in heat. Its about finding the right compromise.

As said before, these engines are ideal due to their shorter stroke length and larger pistons and pots. Also they are a wet liner engine, so will remain relatively cooler. I'd be tempted to stick a larger rad on too, but then i worry about things Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
There 112bhp on paper but most roll higher than that.
You need to get rid of the original ecu and go for a aftermarket kit. theres no way in hell that you will remap the sagem ecu. you will probably find the ecu and mapping will be your biggest expense!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Stay na and just uprate the internals to hell and back
Thanks given by:
Grant, you must be reading my mind lol, i was planning to upgrade the rad to a large volume one.

There must be a Peugeot ecu somewhere in the range that can be re-mapped. The only people i know who could sort it is G-Tech Motorsport, but they must have gone bust as i cant find their number anywhere.

If the stock internals can handle a low boost turbo, then i may go for tuning the engine and running low boost, I was going to get the crank and flywheel balanced.

Once i get another run about car i can get my beast off the road and start to experiment.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Hi guys, I have the same engine too, i am thinking of supercharging it, opposed to slapping on a turbo.... is this a good idea? or am i commiting financial suicide?
please help, im new to peugeot, and loving every second of owning my 306Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
As far as I am aware, some of the gti Ecu's can be remapped dependant on brand. Not sure how far they can be mapped, as in to a different engine. Someone else may be able to she'd some light.

A larger rad wouldn't hurt at all, or you could twin rad it, 6 and two threes.

Stick with low boost otherwise you are looking at new internals, and a lot of dollar. Depends how deep your pockets are Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Not that deep at the moment lol. I am just trying to see if i can do it without having to go for after market stuff.

Its like the intercooler, it was just by pure chance by working on a landrover all the agles of the pipework are just right. And the intercooler is a great fit.

If anyone can solve the ecu problem please help Itwasntme

If i can find a cheap way of doing it, maybe it will help others. I looked at the DP website and yes their stuff is great but at £1800 for the Turbo kit alone before you have even done the enternals your looking at mega bucks.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
More questions Itwasntme

Will the GTI6 Inlet and throttle housing, and exhaust manifold fit the 1.8?

I am trying to source as much info as poss before i commit and start buying.

Looking at the turbo i have, the GTI6 exhaust manifold looks less restricted than mine, plus it looks a good base to mount the turbo on.

God i wish i could win the lottery.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Yes the Inlet will fit your 1.8.You will need to use your FPR and injectors from the 1.8 in the '6 manifold though.

The exhaust manifold fits too, but you will either need your exhaust modifying (not a problem if you are fitting a turbo anyway). It is a much better design as it keeps the pulse timing of the engine equal as all the header pipes are the same length Smile

Sounds epic too with both on.

Not as epic as turbo whistle mind Wink

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I am loving the sound of this grant lol. I was going to shell out for a brand new set of injectors. All going well the car will be coming off the road in December, then the real work can start.

I have gone for the small turbo 1 to save engine bay room, but to also iliminate turbo lag.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
What do you mean by new injectors? Refurbished standard, or uprated?

No point in getting uprated injectors on the setup you are hedging for. if for whatever reason the 1.8 ones are struggling (which I very much doubt) then slap the 2.0 ones and possible the FPR in.

Saying that, if you are getting a re-map anyway you could just use the 2.0 injectors and FPR from the start, makes more sense Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I ment to say buy brand new injectors, thats a good idea about using 2.0 lite injectors and relay, never thought of that one.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
No point getting brand new injectors. It will cost you a bomb! Just get yours ultrasonically cleaned and balanced.

Don't bother to change the fuel relay, you want the 2.0 Fuel Pressure Regulator.

What turbo you got your eye on?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I have been given a T3, its stamped up with GM markings so not to sure what it is off.

DOH FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator..
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 07:11 PM)sam Wrote: ive been looking at turbo kits for the last 2 months, theres a company that are called atspeed or costella will do a turbo kit for a gti for around 3.5/4k for a good 350hp that includes everything apart from internal work un less you pay mega bucks!!! or buy the high boost kit for 600+ hp

best bet is to talk to a guy called fatlip on the gti forum whos building one atm and his is all custome made

I've looked at them for a while ant they the uk distributer for dp engineering?

Low boost bits with out the intercooler, pipe work.come in at a realistic price in comparison to a low boost s/c prices.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI-6 Gearbox- Advice needed PUGNUT_XS 40 8,544 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Niall