Ebay Coilover Spring Swap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay Coilover Spring Swap
Right I have read the above, I'm only going to run stupid low for shows, if I remove the helper, wind it down for shows (literally park at show wind down, wind back up before leaving) and then have it wound up for road, having 90-100 drop for shows, an 60 for road. Would the main spring cope? And when wound up the spring shouldn't become mis postioned? Is that right or am I totally wrong? And will the main spring be too soft on its own?

The above did make sense when read, just alot for my brain to process haha
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
But will a different make of coilovers let me go lower? Or will we just have the same problem?
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:But will a different make of coilovers let me go lower? Or will we just have the same problem?
Depends if the shocks are shorter really doesn't it............
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Ye. God this is a pain!
Thanks given by:
Matt yes the main spring will cope on its own and yes it will still be just as soft as it is now. the helpers are crushed solid all the time the cars weight is on its wheels so you need to stop thinking of it as a spring and more as a 4" lowering device.

Im not sure youd get -60mm without spring dislocation risk on the std spring without a helper.
Thanks given by:
Okay dum that really helps, may look into a slightly longer main, so I can run 60 during the day and 90/100 for shows Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
One thing I dont understand and cant quite work out in my head (and is probably a stupid question) but I dont get in my head how the raceland coilies need helpers and the gaz ones dont.

BUT

If I fit a 300lb 8" spring will it lower more than a 300lb 6" spring.

ie is the cars weight evened across the whole of the suspension travel meaning it would compress the 6" spring say 2" and also the 8" spring by 2" OR would it compress each spring say 5mm per inch meaning that it would actually drop further on an 8" spring than a 6".

Also how much further will a car drop on 275lb springs compared to 300lb springs?
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:One thing I dont understand and cant quite work out in my head (and is probably a stupid question) but I dont get in my head how the raceland coilies need helpers and the gaz ones dont.

BUT

If I fit a 300lb 8" spring will it lower more than a 300lb 6" spring.

ie is the cars weight evened across the whole of the suspension travel meaning it would compress the 6" spring say 2" and also the 8" spring by 2" OR would it compress each spring say 5mm per inch meaning that it would actually drop further on an 8" spring than a 6".

Also how much further will a car drop on 275lb springs compared to 300lb springs?

Oh dont get me wrong, if I wound them down any more, they would need helpers, but I wound mine down to the point of just unseating
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It'd compress just the 2"

The reason the Gaz's get away without them are the dampers and top mounts are made shorter, with shorter bushings in the top for the travel, you go to something even better like Fox/Nitron/Ohlins monotubes and they're even shorter for the same amount of travel, so there's more room for the damper to travel upwards.

Means instead of that inch you're getting to the bumpstop, there might be 1.25" on a Gaz, and 1.5" on something decent...doesn't sound like a lot, but it means the springs can be a chunk softer for a better ride whilst using the same travel, which then means the springs have more travel for a given length....
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Ripp, youve been most helpful in this thread. Ive learnt a massive amount. (mainlly that I should of just bought better coilovers in the first place). Ill make sure your repped if scott/phoebe install a decent rep system any time soon
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Cheers Ripp, youve been most helpful in this thread. Ive learnt a massive amount. (mainlly that I should of just bought better coilovers in the first place). Ill make sure your repped if scott/phoebe install a decent rep system any time soon

Which they wont
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ye I'm just going to buy some gaz's at some point! Maybe in the summer...
Thanks given by:
or in the group buy now... ninja
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Dont have the money!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilover protection lolsteve 6 1,429 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Last Post: lolsteve
  gaz coilover rebuild cost lolsteve 9 2,673 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: lolsteve
  TA Technix coilover topmounts toyo16 2 1,297 28-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard