Ebay Coilover Spring Swap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebay Coilover Spring Swap
Send it over mate and we can give it an eyeball for you!
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
Moonstone2.0 Wrote:Send it over mate and we can give it an eyeball for you!

Cheers Mate. Hopefully get it on a proper scanner this evening
Thanks given by:
Can the guy not just send you a copy of it?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Saves a translation if you want:

Lieber Herr Thiermann,

Waere es moeglich der TUV Documenten als PDF format per Email zu schicken?

Mit freundlichen Grü�en

Chris
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
Yeah, if you assume half a coil is dead then the spring calcs match your figures Dum-Dum - 220lb for main spring, although more like 40lb for the helper - but those flat section springs are really dependent on the stresses from forming and the actual amount of active coils, so might be closer to your figure, could be 20lb either way.

If it were me, I'd measure up and check just to see if a 2.25" ID spring will fit on the seats - they're a lot more common size and there's a far larger selection available.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
There's loads of 2.25" around!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers Ripp, I dont think 2.25 will fit, the damper bodies could be too small but even if they do go over the dampers I see no reason why I couldnt get machined down seats for the springs.

moonstone, Thanks, Ive sent that off in an email.
Thanks given by:
Well, you can get nice, short 2.25's from dfaulkners...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Ill get measuring at some point next week.
Thanks given by:
Awesome! Keep us posted!
Thanks given by:
So, Erm, Heres the TUV in German.

Translation Plz

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.pdf   EVOGWPE03.pdf (Size: 88.07 KB / Downloads: 4)
Thanks given by:
As there is a lot in there and some of it may be irrelevant, what exactly is the information your wanting? Then ill have a look to see what could apply
Thanks given by:
Technical Specs regarding spring sizes and weights and if the dampers would cope with heavier springs and while your there the damper rate would be nice.
Thanks given by:
My cousin is half german. SO could maybe help if we get stuck.
Thanks given by:
Doubt what the dampers will cope with and damping rates will be in the TUV tbh, they don't cope with stock springs very well lol
Thanks given by:
Been looking at http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/

The springs we want are likely to be around £33 + VAT each so im considering a group buy.

The only question is with the standard springs being 6.75" ans 225lb what would you want BIM you may be able to go lower in 6" springs especially coupled with slightly longer helpers but 7" springs may give better performance, also what poundage would you like, Im considering the 300lb cos although i have one of the heaviest cars here (1380kg with driver) Id still like a fairly supple ride as it is a road car.

Thoughts, anyone interested in a group buy?
Thanks given by:
At least 300lb and want to be able to go to 90/100mm and still be able to driver with helpers in lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
1. - How much shaft do you have left showing on the coilovers before it hits the bumpstops at the height you want?

2. - How much thread is left downwards on the coilovers from where it's sat at that drop?
Thanks given by:
To achieve that drop I'd have to take the it that low.

But currently been sat at 65mm with helper and no thread left.
Will try and answer the other tomorrow. I'll get my wheel off
Thanks given by:
I can't unwind mine anymore.

I was going to go for 5" springs, 325lb and use the helpers I have now.

Dum dum where are you getting new helpers from?
Thanks given by:
Right, if you've got no thread length left you might have to add a pair of 4lb helpers to get you the travel too, tbh, it sounds like the dampers are too long for how far most of you are trying to drop it...
Thanks given by:
WHere can you get helpers from? And what length should we get?
Thanks given by:
Ripp your very knowledgable, why springs for a 90mm drop? I'd run it at 65mm normally then drop to 90 for shows?
Thanks given by:
Jim you can get different helpers from anyone who makes springs eibach ERS range, Tein, falkuners and loads more, the link i posted above have a look through their catalogue.
Thanks given by:
Ah sorry I didnt see the link haha. Cheers!

This is starting to really confuse me now!!!
Thanks given by:
Think Ive decided on 7" 300lb on standard helpers but will probably remove the spacer from the top of the thread on the piston rod so i can get a little more preload on it.
Thanks given by:
Ok, but isnt that a onger spring then standard? Are you not worried baout goin really low?

Think i may got 5" on standard helpers.
Thanks given by:
It is a longer spring (but only by 1/4 of an inch) and yes id like to go really low but at my current lows (about -60mm) ive got an inch of thread left so should be able to afford to get a little longer spring.

The other thing is going for a much shorter main spring without longer helpers will bring you back into spring dislocation territory and TBH you dnt know how much travel you have left in the dampers yet anyway as none of us have measured it. ( I may do this tomorrow if your lucky)
Thanks given by:
Ok that would be awesome! Did we establish how long the standard helpers were?
Thanks given by:
just over 4" mate, Its back on page 3
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilover protection lolsteve 6 1,424 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Last Post: lolsteve
  gaz coilover rebuild cost lolsteve 9 2,671 04-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: lolsteve
  TA Technix coilover topmounts toyo16 2 1,295 28-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard