Belt slapping wildly - belt tensioned - pics added

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt slapping wildly - belt tensioned - pics added
(23-04-2013, 05:19 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Belt looks a bit loose in those pictures there Darren, could that be the issue?

Affixed, you know what its like these days in this country, wouldnt want anyone suing!!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 05:26 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote:
(23-04-2013, 05:19 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Belt looks a bit loose in those pictures there Darren, could that be the issue?

Affixed, you know what its like these days in this country, wouldnt want anyone suing!!!

lmao repped!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
haha repped that picture!!! lol

I'll have a double check the timing etc tomorrow and have another poking with the pump to try and get a clean idle.

as for the belt slapping; i'll upload a video after dinner - the belt is definitely not lose, it has very little slack on it and has, as johnny said, a 90* turn
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:

Could the belt slap come from a full retarded pump?
Thanks given by:
No, just an incorrectly tensioned cambelt.

You defo got your bottom crank pulley on?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 06:54 PM)Ruan Wrote: No, just an incorrectly tensioned cambelt.

You defo got your bottom crank pulley on?

yep; manually cranked the belt 3 - 4 times making sure it was turning ok.

Is it a case of redoing the belt?
Thanks given by:
are you putting the belt on the right way? Teeth on the inside, smooth side on the outside yeah?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah, you've somehow failed badly there..

Re do the lot, and see what happens.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 07:23 PM)Niall Wrote: are you putting the belt on the right way? Teeth on the inside, smooth side on the outside yeah?

Ohhh that's where in going wrong Doh
Thanks given by:
I had a look over it today and couldn't see anything wrong with it. It runs but misfires sometimes and is a bit lumpy
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Has the head or deck been skimmed out of interest?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 10:32 PM)Ruan Wrote: Has the head or deck been skimmed out of interest?

Nope. The engine hasn't been apart, the seller, an older and quite genuine guy told me then engine had only covered 40k. He had the engine in his boxer camper van which he rarely used.
Thanks given by:
would anyone like a picture/video of the belt tension? if it helps at all
Thanks given by:
Might aswell stick it up mate the more everyone has to go on the more they maybe able to help Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 12:23 PM)Tom Wrote: Might aswell stick it up mate the more everyone has to go on the more they maybe able to help Smile

[Image: V97njwn.jpg]

[Image: pXGRGF4.jpg]

[Image: weDGXVt.jpg]

[Image: HNKXNQo.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The whole 90 degree thing is just a farce / ive never gone by it, as it just depends how hard you have to turn it to make 90, hell you could tighten it with a pry ubar and still turn 90 with enough force.

If you grab belt with two fingers, i normally have it so it feels "firm" generally speaking just let the tensioner spring back, and apply firm pressure "into" the belt with it, and tighten it up, never fails.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
How are you fitting the belt? E.g belt over crank pulley, tight over cam pulley, tight over pump etc?

I know with most 16v setups, its very easy to leave slack inbetween the cams if you dont know what your doing.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 05:03 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: The whole 90 degree thing is just a farce / ive never gone by it, as it just depends how hard you have to turn it to make 90, hell you could tighten it with a pry ubar and still turn 90 with enough force.

If you grab belt with two fingers, i normally have it so it feels "firm" generally speaking just let the tensioner spring back, and apply firm pressure "into" the belt with it, and tighten it up, never fails.

i see; is also just to show that the belt isn't exactly slack, so that can be 'eliminated' when trying to diagnose this further..
when i put it on, this was generally how i done it, pulled it over the pulleys (cam and pump), threaded it down and pulled down over the crank.

(24-04-2013, 05:08 PM)Niall Wrote: How are you fitting the belt? E.g belt over crank pulley, tight over cam pulley, tight over pump etc?

I know with most 16v setups, its very easy to leave slack inbetween the cams if you dont know what your doing.

as i had little room in the 205 bay, it was easier to pull the tension down on the crank, as opposed to attempting to pull tension over one of the top pulleys, if that makes sense
Thanks given by:
Not saying the route i said is correct. Ive never even seen a XUD belt pattern. Just curious what route you had taken as if the tensioner is inbetween the crank pulley and cam (assume it is?) then you want to start on the cam, over the pump, over the roller, over the crank pulley, over the waterpump then tension the tensioner. That way, your trying to leave all the slack in between the waterpump and cam so it can be taken up by the tensioner instead of trapping the slack between the cam and pump....if that makes sense.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So basically the belts not tensioned?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Strange way of doing it, i always pull up tight on the crank, around the pump, keeping it tight, up over the cam, and then push inbehind tensioner, at which point everything should be pretty tight. but providing after running it the lock points still line up bang on, timing isnt the problem
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 05:36 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Strange way of doing it, i always pull up tight on the crank, around the pump, keeping it tight, up over the cam, and then push inbehind tensioner, at which point everything should be pretty tight. but providing after running it the lock points still line up bang on, timing isnt the problem

As i said, i havent even seen a XUD belt pattern but that kind of made sense in my head lol.

Other than that, im out of ideas. Maybe it just doesnt like you because your miserable and ginger?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
wrong size belt?
Thanks given by:
Wrong or stretched belt?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
idler lost its plastic coating??
Thanks given by:
Juuuust a stab in the dark...... Did you put the woodruff key in...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 06:08 PM)AndyG Wrote: wrong size belt?

nope, i think it was darren that said a while ago, XUD is XUD, a few parts differ such as the water pump, but that's just the bracket shape rather than the pulley itself

(24-04-2013, 06:17 PM)Tom Wrote: Wrong or stretched belt?

Brand new belt, done less than 50 miles

(24-04-2013, 06:49 PM)cully Wrote: idler lost its plastic coating??

Nope, again, idler and tensioner brand new

(24-04-2013, 07:38 PM)samass Wrote: Juuuust a stab in the dark...... Did you put the woodruff key in...

Yep, woodruff key is in the pump pulley, the only pulley which has come off.

An update on this. After having no idea as to why it's doing it and a lot of white smoke, i thought fuckit; i'm going to drive this.

About to put the TMIC on, and realise following a lady running it over it, snapped the LDA nipple and a hole on the inlet tract, i taped the hole up but an empty LDA hole, i just popped it on and went to pull away.

ticked over for about 5 mins to make sure it was getting to temp, fairly high idle with the odd misfire, gave it a bit of a boot and we had boost and some nice chatter.

Pulled off the fuel, kept idle, and a reduction of white smoke, just about.

again, drove for another 5 minutes, kept boost, nice chatter, white smoke almost gone, and the belt had calmed down.

After a 10 minute drive, the smoke had almost gone, and the belt is pretty much back to standard. whether this will stay the same in the morning, im not sure; but at the moment i've got a small grin as i've been looking at other cars to get me around. Fingers crossed this might be back on the road again..
Thanks given by:
belt looks a bit loose to me, going on when i removed one from my old DT . . .(with a stanley knife) . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Aux Belt tensioner??? jcsh 7 3,163 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Last Post: weka
  Aux belt tensioner celesboy1 8 3,721 09-11-2018, 08:25 PM
  XUD timing belt kit compatibility weka 4 2,420 21-08-2017, 08:17 PM