loud rumble from front ns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loud rumble from front ns
Hi guys fitted the new wheels and dropped the front 20mm more and this happened, continuous rumble coming from front left, gets worse with speed.

I'm guessing wheel bearing? Also whilst having a look it seems the cv gaiter is loosing all its grease although the rubber doesn't look split, is this contributing too?

thanks in advance
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
could be CV joint...if theres no grease!

try twisting the shaft to see if theres play...if there is then you want new cv joint...but could be both

jack up the one side where the noise is and spin the wheel and check for play. rumble is usually wheel bearing but with the grease everywhere it could be cv joint.

if cv joint is ok but loosing grease...that wants fixing asap before you DO need a cv joint!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers piggy, think I'm going to get a new bearing pressed in and check out that cv joint while I'm at it. Think its a job beyond me though unfortunately
Thanks given by:
before you whip the hub off check the cvjoint...

then once the hub is off changing the shaft is simples...just jack that side right up and be ready with the new one before you take the old one out...save losing too much oil!

FYI:
have a look at complete hubs to buy...sometimes available...save your car being off the road too long and then you can do the job yourself...so the part maybe more expensive but cheaper overall
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Are you sure it's not just a wheel weight that has come off putting the wheel out of balance?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
No mate there is a lot of play in the bearing lol, can easily be pulled in and out by hand
Thanks given by:
If there's no grease and no split it could mean the gaiter has perished and grease could weep out through tiny holes around it.
[Image: IMAG0356-1.gif]
Thanks given by:
Right I've got myself a hub from a scrappy and going to be attempting to change it over tomorrow, as well as replacing the cv gaiter.

Few questions:

how do I release ball joint?
any tricks to releasing tre?
what grease do I use for the cv joint? and how much?
Thanks given by:
U dont release the ball joint as such, u gotta undo the pinch bolt that holds the ball joint to the hub. Then use a lever bar of some sort, then lever the lower arm down and then it's done. just gotta undo the hub nut to slide the drive shaft out. And as for the grease its usually comes in a packet with the new cv gaiter, so use the whole packet.
Thanks given by:
Cheers mate think I'm gonna clean up and check the cv joint while I'm at it. Do I just twist it with the wheels on the ground or what? It might be too low for that
Thanks given by:
Sorry mate but twist what ? If your on about cleaning the driveshaft take it out then clean it, then go from there.

Oh yea lol jack the car up take the wheel off and just spin the disc as its easier to listen to them joints.
Thanks given by:
I meant twist the driveshaft. So replacing this boot will I have to remove the driveshaft from the box or can I get the old one off and new one on with just the hub off?
Thanks given by:
Out the box mate you gotta take the cv joint apart to be able to slide the gaiter on
Thanks given by:
Alright I'm thinking of just getting a second hand driveshaft then, as this joint has been leaking ages and could be naff and it saves faffing about with the new Gaiter.

Should I just fully drain the box, change the shaft then refill? drain is on the bottom and the filler is on the top?
Thanks given by:
I'm struggling to get the ball joint off if anyone can help?
Thanks given by:
alright guys mighty thread revival, still have this problem on the hdi, really annoying now! had the n/s wheel bearing changed and i thought it disappeared but i was obviously wrong.

it still rumbles and kinda clonks/pings every now and again when i come to a stop/set off slowly/turn slowly...

also worth mentioning I replaced the n/s driveshaft with a known 'good' one at the same time as the cv was split

any ideas where to look next?
Thanks given by:
Anybody have an idea?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rumble/shake/squeaky nois and feel - 306 Hdi V reg. MattDanPug 15 3,341 21-03-2017, 07:20 PM
Last Post: MattDanPug
  Rumble! Kezzieboy 12 1,254 02-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy
  loud knock from passenger side front wheel area Jake949 22 7,609 22-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Last Post: neilz85