No glowie light..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No glowie light..
No glow plug light on ignition..car ticks over fine but wont start.

Any ideas to get it going?
Thanks given by:
relay not kicking in. hence no light.

not sure what the glowplug to solenoid feed is for? Surely that's a mistake?

If they are connected properly otherwise the glowplugs will try to draw a tremendous amount of current through a thin wire and small relay burning them all out..... if there is no other supply to the solenoid then the car will run only while the glowplugs are on.... either way seems a bit silly.
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 04:24 PM)DarkInferno Wrote: relay not kicking in. hence no light.

not sure what the glowplug to solenoid feed is for? Surely that's a mistake?

If they are connected properly otherwise the glowplugs will try to draw a tremendous amount of current through a thin wire and small relay burning them all out..... if there is no other supply to the solenoid then the car will run only while the glowplugs are on.... either way seems a bit silly.

The chap couldnt find another live feed so he used that. Theres 1 live feed and the feed from plug too. So my relay needs changing? I can usually hear it ticking on the n/s even when the car is off ^_^
Thanks given by:
I have a working relay here came of hdi but as far as im aware they same
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If it lit before it isn't likely to have happened at the same time as a pump change..

You shouldn't have a link between the solinoid and the glowplugs
Thanks given by:
It was fine with lucas pump, dont know what happened with bosch as we couldnt start it for hours. In the end he used that link as a source of live, car runs without key for 20 secs, which I need to stop lol
Thanks given by:
Had a crack at it. Could someone twke a look at my wiring to see if its okay?

Also, why does solenoid have two wires?

Before:
[Image: 575C1033-5649-4744-893F-26192C73FF0A-197...79a310.jpg]

(You can see big fat black wire coming from glowies)

After:
[Image: 1B7D7DEE-8DCB-4AB5-905D-F992E193DAC3-197...5ef938.jpg]

(Perm live to the two yellows, which turn into the two blacks in solenoid)

On topic: glowie light is working again, this happened before but i ignored, should get it replaced still!
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
looks alright... you need to get some proper protection on the wires though... you really don't want it shorting out.

Is it running and dying on the key ok now?
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 06:53 PM)DarkInferno Wrote: looks alright... you need to get some proper protection on the wires though... you really don't want it shorting out.

Is it running and dying on the key ok now?

Yeh ill sort it out, hopefully the sun is shining again tomorrow.

Start and stops okay. Might still have problem with relay, just going to wait dor it to happen! Ignition is bang on tho Big Grinthanks for help!

Edit: whats your definition of proper protection? Never really done that before apart from insulation tape :haha: how about these?
[Image: 77003D4E-83A2-4071-8A69-5DE2DD72F06F-202...3d905c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
sweet, personally I'm a fan of soldering the wires up and heat-shrinking but its a bit ott really.

I'd go with the crimp myself but only if you have a proper crimper.

Put it this way, you don't want it coming loose or shorting out and blowing a fuse while your tootling down the M6, as it'll just cut out with no warning.
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 11:02 PM)DarkInferno Wrote: sweet, personally I'm a fan of soldering the wires up and heat-shrinking but its a bit ott really.

I'd go with the crimp myself but only if you have a proper crimper.

Put it this way, you don't want it coming loose or shorting out and blowing a fuse while your tootling down the M6, as it'll just cut out with no warning.

Hmm, I best solder it then. Just ordered some heat sink Big Grin

Also, I get a ticking noise from my passenger side. Sounds like the glow plug relay maybe? its like a tick 'on' and then a tick 'off' and happens a few times infact o.o, when the car is turned off and not running ;\
Thanks given by:
I had the same problem with my 306 1.9d i found it was a bad earth on the glow lug relay
Thanks given by: