XUD or HDi?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD or HDi?
I'm looking at getting a derv 306 next to replace my 1.8 petrol.

In general terms, which is the 'better' option - XUD or HDi?

I'm thinking about general running in standard form and also tuning possibilties - and for this i'm trying to get a feeling for what things are diy able, expensive, gains per pound spent.

thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
Xud imo
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
for £ vs gains xud
Thanks given by:
For the best bang per buck and cheapest maintenance, XUD all the way. For more refinement and better living day to day, HDi.

Both can be tuned relatively easily up to about 180bhp. But HDi's can eat clutches, maps are an expense you don't need with an XUD, but XUD's you need to be handy with spanners and have an idea what you're doing to get a decent tune.

MPG wise HDi wins for the most part. But XUD's can be run on veg which gives a cheaper cost per mile, despite lower MPG.

When it all goes wrong, which at some point it WILL, XUD's in their basic form are much cheaper to fix than HDi's. No sensor issues to worry about and basic engineering in its finest. However, HDi's can develop more power with standard blowers, XUD's you WILL need to swap the turbo to get reliably over 150bhp. And if it's an expensive blower, the cost to repair escalates. For instance i've spent over £600 on turbos through trial, error and breakages to get on a par with a stage 2 HDi, which can be done with a FMIC and uprated clutch if you want the full torque map.

For out and out power though, an XUD can be bought for sub-£500 in not bad condition, and a TD04 can be strapped on (along with a Bosch, if not already fitted) for under £200. Instant 170bhp easily for under £700 all in, you'd pay more than that just for a half decent HDi.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
thanks for the feedback. what years did the XUD come in?
Thanks given by:
Pretty much anything pre-phase 3. Think about 1999/2000 was the crossover year? My estate was a ph2 1999 T reg
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anything up to a t reg 1999 will be a xud mate
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
XUD ftw
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
M-HDi Ftw (Merchanical HDi). Wink
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
hdi for the stronger rods lolz
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You realise that people have smashed up HDI rods too, they are in no way infalliable.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
XUD all day long!
Thanks given by: