Fitting cooler tomorrow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting cooler tomorrow
Thumbs Up 
Hey guys I'm fitting the fmic on my hdi tomorrow morning, got any pointers to make the job go smoothly?
Thanks given by:
If its your first FMIC install I'd make sure you have the whole day to do it, start nice and early (9~10) and allow 4~10 hours providing you have everything you need.

Have you already worked out your route etc?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I've got a rough idea due to people's pics but I have everything I need for the install, I need to cut some pipes when I get to the garage but that's it.
Thanks given by:
As said make sure you have plenty of time, my first time took some right doing but i got there in the end..... was rather stressful lol

Thanks given by:
The original pipe is a complete pain to get out. Tryin to think what else there was
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 01:46 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: The original pipe is a complete pain to get out. Tryin to think what else there was

IIRC its easier to cut it out then "remove it".
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 01:48 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(01-04-2013, 01:46 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: The original pipe is a complete pain to get out. Tryin to think what else there was

IIRC its easier to cut it out then "remove it".

this i had to cut mine as well.......

Thanks given by:
I just pulled, lots.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above haha.

Don't try and fit anything before you've got your routing sorted, make sure pipes fit the gaps comfortably etc. Take care to get a good seal on each connection as you go, trying to chase phantom boost leaks afterwards is a nightmare.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That pipe is a pita.

Also the inlet elbow is a knuckle scraper, and before fitting the 406 elbow make sure you clear all the gunk and sludge off for a clean contact

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 09:50 PM)Arron Wrote: That pipe is a pita.

Also the inlet elbow is a knuckle scraper, and before fitting the 406 elbow make sure you clear all the gunk and sludge off for a clean contact

I also recommend not cleaning the elbow in your kitchen sink, or you'll have to spend ages the next day cleaning the sink, taps, wall, floor and the bloody kitten which decides to walk through it all.
[Image: sig-3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Rofl

Proper lold, boss is looking at me funny now...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well it's not happening today which I'm gutted about because my dad is busy so he can't help. Got to wait ages again now
Thanks given by:
Gutted. Cant you mount the cooler and just line it up to an extent?

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 09:09 PM)Poodle Wrote: As above haha.

Don't try and fit anything before you've got your routing sorted, make sure pipes fit the gaps comfortably etc. Take care to get a good seal on each connection as you go, trying to chase phantom boost leaks afterwards is a nightmare.

This! Trust me!
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 09:55 PM)Dave26 Wrote:

I also recommend not cleaning the elbow in your kitchen sink, or you'll have to spend ages the next day cleaning the sink, taps, wall, floor and the bloody kitten which decides to walk through it all

lmao that's too funny
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 09:55 PM)Dave26 Wrote:

I also recommend not cleaning the elbow in your kitchen sink, or you'll have to spend ages the next day cleaning the sink, taps, wall, floor and the bloody kitten which decides to walk through it all.

unfortunate to hear you had a dirty pussy...
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 10:15 AM)Arron Wrote: Gutted. Cant you mount the cooler and just line it up to an extent?

What he said, mtfu and get on with it! Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yer do it in 2 parts fit the cooler to the front run the pipes in to the engine bay then put it back together and come back another day and remove the old pipe of the back of the engine and run the rest of the pipe work thats how i did it any way, was easier that way as once you got your pipes from the cooler in to the engine bay you can play around with the route of the pipes to make it sit exactly were you want.

Thanks given by:
That's a good idea thanks guys I'll get on it tomorrow! Got another day off tomorrow so I'll mount it. How the eff do I take the bumper off?
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 02:34 PM)aaron_one Wrote: That's a good idea thanks guys I'll get on it tomorrow! Got another day off tomorrow so I'll mount it. How the eff do I take the bumper off?

2x 10mm bolts behind bumper, Get arch guards out of way on drivers side there is the washer bottle you can leave it in place and get your hand up behind it fiddle to get the bolts if not its only two bolts to take washer bottle off. really easy to do just can be fiddly to get the socket on the bolts.

The 4 red circles are were the bolts come though the slam panel they are diagonal from each other

[Image: 306blue371_zpsf6030a93.jpg]

Thanks given by:
So to clarify, four 10mm nuts lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 08:53 PM)Poodle Wrote: So to clarify, four 10mm nuts lol.

I noticed the failure but wasn't sure whether to point it out or not Huh
Thanks given by:
Yer sorry 2 each side = 4 10mm nuts. lol

Thanks given by:
However if your car has ever been 'repaired' by a bodyshop...you'll probably find theres only 2 nuts left holding the bumper on...which will be loose. And the washer bottle will be held on with the wrong sized nuts which have rusted so much you have to smash the washer bottle off and chuck it in the bin.... Don't forget its a 306, nothing is ever as simple as it should be. lol Oh and yes, thats exactly what happened when I wanted to take my bumper off last week.... Doh
Thanks given by:
After previously owning a few 306's did you not bother to check something like that before you bought it tom!?

My bumpers only held on with two nuts... easy access in case i pop a boost pipe... Anyway any progress on this aaron?

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Turns out this cooler project won't be happening as I've just bought a 2008 ford fiesta st Smile
Thanks given by:
Ill buy the oil cooler of u mate

wrong thread!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oil cooler fitting rd070707 1 708 20-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Jimbo