Headgasket or oil cooler problem 306 hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Headgasket or oil cooler problem 306 hdi
Rainbow 
Hello I've just had my car fully serviced recently also new anti freeze as well. The radiator been fine the water level also engine oil the same as well. But recently the radiator water a tiny bit foamy or frothy. But that cleared up now in to black sludgy stuff in there. You put your finger in there its oil for sure the only thing it can be. Something recently the car was smoking black then white smelling funny. That cleared up then black, white blue smoke this cleared up to nothing. Now there no smoke at all fromt cold to hot nothing clean now all the time. But since back then the oil in the radiator problem started.

The car doesn't over heat it runs normal temp, The oil clean in the engine and on dip stick and oil cap, The radiator doesn't loose coolant. Also the car starts and runs fine hot or cold. The car doesn't smoke anymore it just normal all the time now.

The only things I can think of is the headgasket or oil cooler problem.

So I'm not sure whats happening at the moment.

Its a 306 hdi.
Thanks given by:
worth switching the oil cooler sandwhich plate and flush the coolant and see what happens
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As above really, but tbh if it's not causing a problem why worry.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hello is the oil cooler on the oil filter housing or somewere else?

thanks
Thanks given by:
yes its the sandwhich plate between oil filter and block...got two coolant pipes in/out of it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2013, 03:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: yes its the sandwhich plate between oil filter and block...got two coolant pipes in/out of it

Correct ^

I would definitely be looking at the cheaper options to start with especially as it seems to be quite uncommon for the HG to go on an HDi.

If the temp stays fairly constant, I wouldn't worry too much for now. Keep an eye on it and if the symptoms get worse go to a garage and get a pressure/sniff test done.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2013, 08:48 PM)londondan86 Wrote:
(01-04-2013, 03:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: yes its the sandwhich plate between oil filter and block...got two coolant pipes in/out of it

Correct ^

I would definitely be looking at the cheaper options to start with especially as it seems to be quite uncommon for the HG to go on an HDi.

If the temp stays fairly constant, I wouldn't worry too much for now. Keep an eye on it and if the symptoms get worse go to a garage and get a pressure/sniff test done.

The temp stays fine also the oil clean on the dip stick and oil cap as well. I'm going to take of the old oil cooler today hopefully.
Thanks given by:
I took the old oil cooler of today. The radiator hoses were all clean just normal.

But I took the radiator bottle of and inside I could feel oil so decreased the inside of it and washed it out of the car of course.

I just need anther good working order oil cooler now to see what happens.
Thanks given by:
Get yourself down to Clwyd breakers, there's always a few 306's down there. Or in hk motors next door there's a low mileage moonstone right at the back (I had the seats!)

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I've just removed an oil cooler from my HDi engine in good order.... Wink

Also was surprised how good the headgasket was (123k miles) so I'd really doubt its that until really high miles.
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 07:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've just removed an oil cooler from my HDi engine in good order.... Wink

Also was surprised how good the headgasket was (123k miles) so I'd really doubt its that until really high miles.

Ended up having to do mine, after the dam local garage got it wrong, saying it was head gasket. Tested for a fault by submerging it in very hot water, blocking off one pipe with a cork and blowing on the other end, checking for air bubbles. Sure enough, i found some :-)
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 07:33 PM)phil clark Wrote:
(04-04-2013, 07:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've just removed an oil cooler from my HDi engine in good order.... Wink

Ended up having to do mine, after the dam local garage got it wrong, saying it was head gasket. Tested for a fault by submerging it in very hot water, blocking off one pipe with a cork and blowing on the other end, checking for air bubbles. Sure enough, i found some :-)

Thats interesting to know thanks.

(04-04-2013, 04:42 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Get yourself down to Clwyd breakers, there's always a few 306's down there. Or in hk motors next door there's a low mileage moonstone right at the back (I had the seats!)

I was going to go there but in the end managed to get one in the end. But thanks for letting me know about that.
Thanks given by:
I've got some good news I changed the oil cooler and 90% of the oil cleared up. I cleaned the radiator abit its much better now. I just top it up when a small bit comes up through the over flow to get it out.

The car will be on the road shortly its been along time and this problem would of been longer.
Thanks given by:
Glad to hear it fixed the problem, cheers for updating. Smile
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
^This! Well done chap!

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Glad to hear youve got it sorted. Had a game cleaning out the cooling system, after mine went. In the end i used a mix of 75% water to 25% TFR, and let it run for 45 mins, keeping the temp up, then flushed it all out with a hose. Still find a film forms on the water level of the header tank now, even after changing the Rad. The cooling system on these obviousley has its little hiding places lol. :-)
Thanks given by: