Unipart rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unipart rant
Okay so this is a little rant about Unipart who must be the most expensive motorfactors for the most mediocre products ever. Rewind to last year where I had to replace my CV boots for the MOT. I had bought a Draper 1/2" breaker bar from Unipart and the hubnut was so tight that the knuckle had sheared off.

Not a problem I thought, I went to Unipart for a refund/replacement. Turns out they don't cover the breakage under warranty anyway, they didn't even sell a replacement knuckle for it which was the bit that had snapped anyway. Since I have no choice I am forced to buy another one which they are more than eager to sell me.

Guess what, that one snapped as well in the same place as t'other one. That hubnut must have been tight, at the time I was deadlifting 100+ kg so I was able to exert quite a lot of force onto the bar (it was not a dissimilar position than the one required for a deadlift to pull on the breaker bar) but still it was clearly a weak product. That one even though I had just bought was refused to be replaced as well. Total joke. I can see why Halfords is used so often, you can't go wrong with tools from there, I'm gonna start buying stuff from there now because they are excellent at replacing things from what I've heard!

In the end, a massive impact wrench from Machine Mart did the trick for me, after a couple of goes. Best piece of kit I've got so far I think!
Thanks given by:
1/2 breaker bar for a hub nut? maybe 3/4 your asking a bit much for the 1/2 bar to get to 325nM
Thanks given by:
Sounds like its the twat who done the hub nut up last times fault, not unipart...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Drapers not the best for tools but any breaker bar not 1/2 will be asked too much to undo a 325nm nut Sad

Never buy tools from unipart that the bit of advice I can offer, the garage I worked at only bought parts from them when they were a garage franchise but never bought tools from them due to the poor returns policy...he went to snap-on
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2013, 10:04 AM)cully Wrote: 1/2 breaker bar for a hub nut? maybe 3/4 your asking a bit much for the 1/2 bar to get to 325nM

Not at all, look at the capacity of a half inch torque wrench. 450Nm is the approximate limit for half inch, providing you're using quality tooling. Had to do it before with no choice.

I've cracked mine before with my 1/2 halfords breaker bar. I have used 3/4 before and it's much easier, but now I have a 1/2 Impact gun anyway.

Impact principle with a breaker bar works wonders. Sit an axle stand in front of it to hold your socket/extension ready to go and jump on the bar.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the hub nuts fault as said, Ive got a ronasl (or what ever the make is) braker bar 1/2inch one not the best make had it 3 years still going strong opened loads of hub nuts and extremely tight injectors etc

Thanks given by: