Your experiences with veg..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your experiences with veg..
So, Ive ran about 240litres of veg so far, 60+5(unleaded) every fill up. It all seems to go in ^_^. Averaging 500miles to every fill up..(£64)

Anyway, Ive come to notice that my injectors are alot "tickier" on normal derv? Anyone else experience this?

It feels as though the engine is well lubed up on veg.. But with derv it has its "dry spots"

Also, what oil do you run? I have only ever ran ktc veg oil 20l drums.

I dont know if this is normal, but im getting bored of putting ktc in, I want to try other products! (Maybe tesco/asda etc) to see if it has a better feel to the drive, could any problems arise from using a variety of products?

In general its 1-0 to veg, except when warming up. That is hell. And filling up too lol
Thanks given by:
when i ran KTC car smelled like a chippy
try sunflower oil that smells of dougnuts Wink
Thanks given by:
i only ever used waste in mine, think it was a mix of soya n rapeseed, ran grand, practically free running
Thanks given by:
my experience with veg is i ran 100% veg for 4 weeks (4 fill ups) was getting around 350 miles from full to quarter of a tank, Then it started miss fireing and takeing ages to start so went back on to derv cleared it out (amzied in the power difference!) now i run a mix 50/50 veg and derv no issues.

To be fair i think all the products are the same ktc/tesco etc carnt see there being much difference other than price, I used ktc all the time, then about a week ago bought some ktc long life stuff at 72p a liter (damaged stock) looks abit like wallpaper paste when im putting it in but mixed with derv its fine.

I find on veg i struggle at top of revs and have alot of flat spots since i put derv in and mixed never had any flat spots and can rev right round to the gov (standard gov).

I found my engine sounded louder on veg tbh seemed to be quieter on derv not sure why that is.

Thanks given by:
Do you gents add a bit of 2 stroke to the mix? It's a well respected trick on the Land rover section that I come from, quietens things down nicely
Thanks given by:
Im from an asian family, theres veg oil everywhere. We live on oily foods(curry) I could quite easily just nip it, from aunties and so on, but They pay more than pump price for it!

Ive got a shimmed gov, when on derv, it gets messy! Revs straight to 6k. Whereas on veg it struggles after 3k or so..

I dont andd anything else. I get the 3 drums(60l) and add about 1.75ltr of petrol to each. Shake it up and pour it in. Its reallly smooth.
Thanks given by:
is there that much difference in cost efficiency running on veg compared to pump derv, price your paying per litre versus mpg drop?
Veg only tempts me due to being able to get waste oil free, if it wasnt for that i wouldnt be bothered by it.
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 04:22 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote: is there that much difference in cost efficiency running on veg compared to pump derv, price your paying per litre versus mpg drop?
Veg only tempts me due to being able to get waste oil free, if it wasnt for that i wouldnt be bothered by it.

Veg oil is at most £1 per litre you should pay
Pump diesel is around 142.9ATM around my way
Personal experience says around %10 drop in economy

Even at %10 and adding the occasional fuel filter (about £4) it makes a hell of a difference in running costs
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just put the cheapest oil you can find in! It makes little noticeable difference if its ra*e (thinner) or veg stock oil.
Should it ever be legalised, you would find it happily able to run used, gloopy engine oil!

If you're finding it doesn't rev well or is a bit of a bastrd in winter, that's because you've not made some select other mods!
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
ra*e is a little expensiver(from my experience of prices anyway). Veg works out 38mpg for me.

The veg is a little lumpy when cold, but when its warm it runs like a dream.

..then I put my heaters on, and in comes the wave of chips *dreams*
Thanks given by:
Have any of you tried any other alternative fuels? Heating oil (kerosene) for example?

What other "select mods"are you meaning n0v0s? I'm looking at modding mine so I can run veg, I want to make the most of it so any knowledge is good...
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 04:02 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: my experience with veg is i ran 100% veg for 4 weeks (4 fill ups) was getting around 350 miles from full to quarter of a tank, Then it started miss fireing and takeing ages to start so went back on to derv cleared it out (amzied in the power difference!) now i run a mix 50/50 veg and derv no issues.

To be fair i think all the products are the same ktc/tesco etc carnt see there being much difference other than price, I used ktc all the time, then about a week ago bought some ktc long life stuff at 72p a liter (damaged stock) looks abit like wallpaper paste when im putting it in but mixed with derv its fine.

I find on veg i struggle at top of revs and have alot of flat spots since i put derv in and mixed never had any flat spots and can rev right round to the gov (standard gov).

I found my engine sounded louder on veg tbh seemed to be quieter on derv not sure why that is.

Change the fuel filter, that is the cause of the missfire. I've been running on veg for about a year now (apart from when I haven't been able to source it) and I can say that veg is definitely better than diesel. It is cheaper, more powerful (higher certane) and emission free. Why anyone would run on diesel (apart from for performance reasons) I don't know. My only bad experience was from a missfire caused by a blocked fuel filter which I swapped out the fuel pump for, changed the cambelt twice and checked the timing a gazillion times to try to solve. I didn't realise a blocked fuel filter could lead to messed up injection timing but there you go.

(27-03-2013, 06:08 PM)RJDubya Wrote: Have any of you tried any other alternative fuels? Heating oil (kerosene) for example?

What other "select mods"are you meaning n0v0s? I'm looking at modding mine so I can run veg, I want to make the most of it so any knowledge is good...

Pretty much anything other than veg is illegal and/or more expensive.
Thanks given by:
kerosene would be illegal mind. not sure what it do to the engine either.

I run on anything I can get my hands on. always with a little diesel.

Runs fine. 45mpg. pulls well.

ensure you do the 'penny' trick on the fuel heat exchanger so the engine is always heating the fuel...keep the filter changed regularly and I dont get flat spots

Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 06:20 PM)306Puggy Wrote:
(27-03-2013, 04:02 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: my experience with veg is i ran 100% veg for 4 weeks (4 fill ups) was getting around 350 miles from full to quarter of a tank, Then it started miss fireing and takeing ages to start so went back on to derv cleared it out (amzied in the power difference!) now i run a mix 50/50 veg and derv no issues.

Change the fuel filter, that is the cause of the missfire. I've been running on veg for about a year now (apart from when I haven't been able to source it) and I can say that veg is definitely better than diesel. It is cheaper, more powerful (higher certane) and emission free. Why anyone would run on diesel (apart from for performance reasons) I don't know. My only bad experience was from a missfire caused by a blocked fuel filter which I swapped out the fuel pump for, changed the cambelt twice and checked the timing a gazillion times to try to solve. I didn't realise a blocked fuel filter could lead to messed up injection timing but there you go.

(27-03-2013, 06:08 PM)RJDubya Wrote: Have any of you tried any other alternative fuels? Heating oil (kerosene) for example?

I did change the fuel filter still used to cut out at junctions, miss like a right f**ker and take ages to start, fuel filter was the first thing i thought! Then tried the in tank fuel cleaned that no difference, so but derv in ad it started up straight away never missed fired once, So mixed it ever since and never had an issue starts bang on no lumpy idle any more no miss firing etc, just just gona run a mix im happy as im still saving money and still get to keep some power from the derv

Thanks given by:
Well i had a really bad experience with veg

I once ate a roast potatoe! Well I thought it was anyways!

Turns out it was a f*cking parsnip bbbbbllllllleeeeeuuuuurrrrggghhhhh

Never again lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 06:20 PM)306Puggy Wrote:

Heating oil is about 65ppl when bought from a dealers, it was another idea for cheap motoring. Didnt know it would be illegal tbh (other than not paying fuel tax on it)
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 06:57 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: I did change the fuel filter still used to cut out at junctions, miss like a right f**ker and take ages to start, fuel filter was the first thing i thought! Then tried the in tank fuel cleaned that no difference, so but derv in ad it started up straight away never missed fired once, So mixed it ever since and never had an issue starts bang on no lumpy idle any more no miss firing etc, just just gona run a mix im happy as im still saving money and still get to keep some power from the derv

I'd imagine you have other pump problems and the veg just highlights it. I run 100% used veg, if its very cold, and I mean below freezing, I'll add in a fiver of petrol. Lumpy when you start it in the morning, you just need a good high cold idle and then keep on the throttle for the first few mins, after that its grand.

However, with veg being that wee bit thicker, any seals or copper washers that may make a perfectly good seal on diesel, suddenly will start letting in air, causing loss of power, misfire etc. New seals/washers and you'll not have any problems
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
In my experience with veg, if you don't eat it all, you get grounded and a clip 'round the yer.
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2013, 09:15 PM)Harky Wrote:
(27-03-2013, 06:57 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: I did change the fuel filter still used to cut out at junctions, miss like a right f**ker and take ages to start, fuel filter was the first thing i thought! Then tried the in tank fuel cleaned that no difference, so but derv in ad it started up straight away never missed fired once, So mixed it ever since and never had an issue starts bang on no lumpy idle any more no miss firing etc, just just gona run a mix im happy as im still saving money and still get to keep some power from the derv

I'd imagine you have other pump problems and the veg just highlights it. I run 100% used veg, if its very cold, and I mean below freezing, I'll add in a fiver of petrol. Lumpy when you start it in the morning, you just need a good high cold idle and then keep on the throttle for the first few mins, after that its grand.

However, with veg being that wee bit thicker, any seals or copper washers that may make a perfectly good seal on diesel, suddenly will start letting in air, causing loss of power, misfire etc. New seals/washers and you'll not have any problems

If i have other pump problems, why is it not a constant thing? to be fair ive not tryed running straight veg since, might have to try agin see if it dose the same agin. But like i say not that fussed any way seen as adding derv gives more power than running straight veg.

Thanks given by:

They do run on kerosene, highly illegal mind, although kerosene doesnt have the same lubrication properties so mix a bit of veg in for that, also pay tax on it or just use it off road.......

Also running veg will make slight fuel line issues more prominent.
a lot of people put on bigger fuel lines, penny trick on fuel housiing as said.
also i find using anthing but purflux fuel filters causes issues with missing in mornings
Thanks given by:
Kerosene runs too hot doesn't it, IIRC you can damage the valves or turbo with it.

Veg is fine to run on, you get 10% drop in performance/mpg but thats about it.
If you have problems, it's more an issue with your fuel system than it is the fuel.

Seal around the fuel filter, priming grenade and leak-off pipes are common places.
Thanks given by:
i ran 50 50 veg and derv thn 100% veg started making my pump leak and would veg and had to keep priming it to start her up so changed pump filter and put durv in and still have the same problem now new pump is gov moded and wont set up properly if u turn fuel screw jsut starts revving nuts off till i turn it down and when i mean rev i mean 5k 6 k revving Sad
Thanks given by:
I run veg in old 306 an it was great

On cold mornings was a touch difficult but worth it
Thanks given by:
Running 100% with a clogged filter, still starts first time, and still runs like a dream
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
you need to embrace the Veg, be the Veg, to understand it's way you must walk a mile in Veg's shoes . . . . . . .only then can you speak with wisdom on matters relating to the great SVO . . . . . Talking
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(30-03-2013, 08:22 PM)Matt Wrote: Running 100% with a clogged filter, still starts first time, and still runs like a dream

Can't be that clogged if it still runs! Lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh trust me it's very clogged, it struggles to pull . But still runs and starts fine lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2013, 08:52 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: If i have other pump problems, why is it not a constant thing? to be fair ive not tryed running straight veg since, might have to try agin see if it dose the same agin. But like i say not that fussed any way seen as adding derv gives more power than running straight veg.

Only seeing this again now. With veg being slightly thicker it will take more suction to draw it through the system, and hence a bad seal may draw in air as its easier than drawing fuel. With diesel though it will flow easier and hence won't suck in air.

I know that doesn't really make any sense, not great at explaining stuff! Bottom line imo, if there's problems with veg its probably down to bad seals letting in air somewhere.
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by: