Wiper motor stopped working

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper motor stopped working
Hi,

wiper motor was working OK, then just stopped. Car is a 99V 1.4 LX.

Checked 30A fuse and it had blown. If you disconnect the wiper motor and replace fuse it doesn't blow. As soon as you re-connect the wiper motor it blows again.

Been told that there is a common wiper motor fault that Peugeot's suffer from and this is caused by a built in resistor to going faulty. Any thoughts on this?

Found this repair on the Net.
"A cheap repair without replacing the motor is to use a 15 ohm (50 watt) wirewound resister available from either Maplin.co.uk or a electrical repair store.
To repair solder a length of wire to each end of the resistor and seal the soldered joint with some heat shrink sleeving , connect one end to the grey wire and the other to the black wire on the wiper motor harness making sure both are well insulated."

Anybody used this repair or is it just a case of replace the motor?

Hope you can help/advise.
Thanks given by:
the effort and expense of that....
grab a second hand motor and throw it in!

(regrease the motor tracks and mechanism joints while you're at it)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
As Piggy said, replace with a known working one and clean it and regrease first.

I'll bet money on one of the thin metal contacts inside your current motor has broken as is causing the fuse to blow as soon as you try to operate the wipers.
Thanks given by:
Strip the motor down and thell be two carbon brushes carnt really miss them clean them then wd40 them and test the motor across the battery if it still fails buy a new one Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice, sounds like it's a common fault on 306's then.

Just thought I'd ask about the resistor fix first, in case it saved me having to strip the motor and linkage out.
Thanks given by:
i tried the repair, lasted a few weeks. i should have replaced it the first time instead of messsing about.
Thanks given by:
yeh take it apart and check the brushes. Its quick and easy to fit a replacement though! Well... if you can get the wiper arm off the existing one! D:
Thanks given by:
Hi thanks for all the advice, one of the contacts was broken.

So a SH Xsara one fitted from the breakers and all is working OK now.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 Blower motor replaced and working but no air coming from vents? Zubes3 4 1,269 19-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Zubes3
  THAT DARN WIPER MOTOR ROBCAT 11 2,839 15-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Wiper motor compatibility firemoth 10 1,926 03-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: ROBCAT