Springs vs potholes..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Springs vs potholes..
Thumbs Up 
First of all I want to say a big thank you to Jamie for letting me have the shocks and springs and paying later Smile. Jamie's they're not -50mm so bonus as I didn't want it to be that low Smile

I also want to say a huge thank you to Connor who drove to jamies to pick the shocks and springs up and then to fit them Smile

As you may know it hit a pothole and both springs snapped, here's a few pics of one of the springs, as Connor said note the rust free snap that would indicate it snapped with one impact !! (the rust on the 2nd pic is off my gloves )

[Image: 8D43CB1A-E462-4E14-B9DE-7C84666C640A-470...03CC29.jpg]

[Image: 495FAA0C-7FB6-4D37-A86F-5167D3DA7627-470...5F4087.jpg]

Would I be able to claim off the council for damages, I did get it fixed cheap so it saves them money I guess - or would they not see it that way?
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
yeah you can file for a claim with your council, you need to take loads of pictures of the potholes and the damage they caused, you need to get the claim form from the council.
the pothole in question cant be on the councils "to do list" for the next month and it has to have been reported by 3 other people on separate occasions.

if you fullfill all the criteria they will pay out, it just takes aaaaaaaaggggggeeeeessssss
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
no worries bud. here to help.

hope the shocks are an improvment pal ThumbsUp

also really not worth fighting council over it . will drag on for ages and then at the end of it they will agree on a £5 settlement lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(25-03-2013, 12:34 PM)puglove Wrote: no worries bud. here to help.

hope the shocks are an improvment pal ThumbsUp

also really not worth fighting council over it . will drag on for ages and then at the end of it they will agree on a £5 settlement lol

the car is not as low as i thought with the -50mm springs - it is level now Smile

i can't test it yet as there are no droplinks attached - the new ones are on the toolbox to be fitted

i thought as much...might get a form and try though Smile

Thanks given by:
Photo's aren't great but that looks like there was already a crack there before the rest went?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
How big was the pothole dude must have veen massive todo that!
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
the rust on the 2nd pic is dust off my gloves if thats what you mean? so don't think they did, will look have a proper look later now its not freezing outside Smile

Thanks given by:
as i said on the phone they were alot lower on the old dt shcks (maybe because they were f*cked? but tgey dont seem to sit as low on those low mile gti shocks.

any way glad your happy with them bud Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(25-03-2013, 01:11 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Photo's aren't great but that looks like there was already a crack there before the rest went?

No it really does look like it went all at once, photo looks deceiving, but the rust it uniform across the break
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2013, 01:19 PM)sam Wrote: How big was the pothole dude must have veen massive todo that!

It was a rise and fall in the road followed by a pothole on each wheel Sad. Hell of a bang which i guess broke both springs and then a knocking sound from front left only!

Jamie - very pleased mate, it's level now and damps better Smile

Thanks given by:
get me a pic when you have a spare 5 Smile

Thanks given by:
i will do mate, probably at cullys tomorrow

Thanks given by:
Glad this was sorted. Pot holes in and around Bristol are on another level..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2013, 05:54 PM)silverzx Wrote: Glad this was sorted. Pot holes in and around Bristol are on another level..

They are no where near as bad as Kent!
Thanks given by:
Bristol is like driving along a car track Sad

Thanks given by:
i think rural herefordshire wins worst potholes in the country. neglected roads, heavy farm machinery, bodged repairs, roads below the water table and freezing temperatures soon f*ck up the roads.

they resurfaced the one to my house about a month ago and already holes are forming
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Pretty common problem atm, in just the last week (well, four days) of MOTs we've found 17 broken springs. Although 3 of them were all on one car, you'll never guess what car it was....

Yup, a Vectra. Seriously, i'm not on a wind-up - 3 broken springs on one and another 2 on two other vectras. We only had four vectras in this week, three of which had broken springs, go figure..!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-03-2013, 12:54 PM)Poodle Wrote: Pretty common problem atm, in just the last week (well, four days) of MOTs we've found 17 broken springs. Although 3 of them were all on one car, you'll never guess what car it was....

Yup, a Vectra. Seriously, i'm not on a wind-up - 3 broken springs on one and another 2 on two other vectras. We only had four vectras in this week, three of which had broken springs, go figure..!

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.......mine failed MOT on snapped rear spring so had both replaced. Couple of weeks later the front snapped too. lol Ah well, atleast the springs are cheap (shame the tyres arent) and they've gotta last a year I reckon. I don't see how anyone can get to MOT without noticing they've snapped a spring though, its pretty obvious! Confused
Thanks given by:
My thoughts exactly, let alone 3, i mean seriously, wtaf lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
My spring snapped due to a pot hole and then it cut out, had to get recovery out to take the car home and then I realised it was the fuel cut off switch lol.
[Image: IMAG0356-1.gif]
Thanks given by: