boost leak?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boost leak?
Right...

Not sure what's going on so could do with a bit of advice. Been going on for a while but seems to be getting worse so I figure it's about time I sorted it.

Tested the boost pressure... 14psi exactly but only at high rpm... >4k.

I get some smoke coming from behind the block when starting (rarely) that goes away after starting... (I get smoke when its running but from the exhaust)

Right so something is leaking...

What are the likely candidates?

Turbo cracked/knackered? Leak from exhaust/intake manifold? any hoses (or the exhaust?) back there known to leak?

Been having a look around and figure I'll have to pop the block forward to get a good look but wondering if anybody has any idea what I'm likely to find down there?

Fairly sure it's a KKK turbo on there..... when I bosched it I was planning on winding it up but tbh I haven't really had chance yet and then with the leak... do they all have the same manifolds?

If I find a cracked turbo/manifold, what are my replacement options? ideally the best bolt on replacement?
Thanks given by:
i have a boost leak on my all the time keep coming back i found its the tmic gasket or the pipe coming from the left of the tmic into the turbo leakingaround where the jubilee clamps it check those dont quote me on this but i think a nice t25 fits straight on big old blower
Thanks given by:
Defiantly not the tmic mate... its from down the back of the block somewhere...
Thanks given by:
you could have a dodgy flexi joint causing the exhaust leak AND a boost leak...

14psi is standard so if the turbo/pump isnt modded thats about right
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-03-2013, 10:38 PM)Piggy Wrote: you could have a dodgy flexi joint causing the exhaust leak AND a boost leak...

14psi is standard so if the turbo/pump isnt modded thats about right

Well yeah which is what was making me suspect the manifolds/pipes rather then the turbo but I was expecting it to spool up before 4k

The pump has had its fuelling increased and the aggressive side of the LDA.

's why I have it in my head its from the exhaust before the turbo, so it leaks and doesn't spool at low rpm but works fine with high exhaust flow.

But that's just my theory and I'd like a little more expert knowledge on the subject Smile
Thanks given by:
Max boost will be at 4k ish in 4th or 5th gear

you should be seeing higher psi though if the turbo is turned up as with the pump...

get ya head down the back with a torch and mirror and get someone to rev it and see!

spray something like carb cleaner around boost pipe connections and your d seal...with engine running...rpm should pick up if theres a leak
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If its smoking from engine bay its your turbo manifold leaking, i had this and resealed turbo manifold and put all 6 bilts as was held on by 3 and it runs like a dream now, whip turbo off get a new manifold gasket i used high temp silicone on either side of metal gasket just a slither around it all let it set and then bolted it all up and its sweet as a nut, also check turbo/exhaust gasket and bolts are tight

From what youve said is the bosch stock then? As 14 is standard psi i think so plenty of potential once youve sealed the manifold up
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The bosch has been tweeked... when I got it the settings were all over the place (idle at 3.5k, go pedal didn't do much) so I set it up to about the limit of what it would take before the turbo got wound up..

I was fully intending on cranking the turbo up and tuning the pump to the new pressure but I ended up having to to do the pump on christmas eve (2011) and i didn't really have chance to have a proper look at it last year at all..

Intention was : get all the parts together to do a bit of a strip down and rebuild of a few bits on the car summer 2012.

Actually happened : my lucas decided that it didn't like fuel inside it and would like to see what it looked like on the floor the day before christmas eve... so I put the pump on as quick as I could and tuned it so it was drivable until I could sort the car out... then life took over a bit and I haven't had chance to look at anything.
Thanks given by:
Yeahhh get what your sayin reseal it and then retune everythig, if its a kkk you could get away with winding the allen key all the way in and control boost with fuel or upgrade turbo when changing mani gasket
Thanks given by:
It was just lucky that I'd been collecting bits together for the following summer... I'd got all the bits for the bosch conversion in a plastic box at home.. otherwise I'd have been stuffed.

Won't the KKK make enough boost to damage anything running a stock ic?
Thanks given by:
nah....many run 28psi with the littluns no issues other than the normal stuff....keep it well serviced and dont boost 100% time you be fine
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
28 on the kkk!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I ran 30 on kkk but thought id see how far i could push it but coaling on boost hogh egts killed it in a matter of hours lol
Thanks given by:
I ran 30+ lbs on a K14 for years... Never killed it...

Gt15s really dont like it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I ony killed my because i purposly ran coal on boost if its clean on boost will last like ruans Wink
Thanks given by:
Mine died on my phase 1 running 20. It ran on, revved up to 6k+ without the key in and chucked a rod or something along those line down side of the engine

But im sure that car had other issues

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
https://plus.google.com/photos/112424540...ivyN_IDWeA

anybody spot where it is leaking from? definitely seems to be from near the turbo.... also I am right in thinking that's a KKK?
Thanks given by:
Looks like you need a manifold gasket bud. The turbo itself if im not mistaken looks like it has no oil on it at all

Also looks like a kkk with the screw in style wastegate

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  boost leak ? Motatalk 3 1,140 19-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Boost leak... philpemberton94 6 2,017 13-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Last Post: toseland
  boost leak? willJspears 11 2,444 02-02-2014, 05:22 PM