simple HDI mods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
simple HDI mods
Whats the best way to get some extra horses out of my brothers hdi??

1st thoughts where de-cat and remove center silencer and get a straight through back box...? does a HDI pass emission with no cat??

And can you blank or unplug EGR valve with engine management light coming on?

he wants to get a remap but has got the spare cash at the moment.
Thanks given by:
Do the exhaust. do the remap.
Thanks given by:
Shouldn't be any issues for MOT as diesels don't have an emmisions test, and a cat isn't needed on a diesel under the new regs either. Smile

First thing I'd do is a remap...if you can scource one for your ECU number, it's easy enough to flash onto the ECU yourself.

You can blank the EGR without a management light afaik, it's not in the easiest location though!
Thanks given by:
If you get the ECU number, someone close might be able todo it abit cheaper then a garage
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 08:13 PM)Just Sean Wrote: If you get the ECU number, someone close might be able todo it abit cheaper then a garage

whistle
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 08:14 PM)cully Wrote:
(18-03-2013, 08:13 PM)Just Sean Wrote: If you get the ECU number, someone close might be able todo it abit cheaper then a garage

whistle

havnt forgot mate lol

how much did you want to do it again?
Thanks given by:
lol
you have got to source your map i recomend Whippy or pro-steve
when you have come ask again
Thanks given by:
Yeah dont go to a exhaust place and buy a map for £ra*e.99 #insidejoke
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
i think you ment to say £400 fat ones for no power gains!

#insider
Thanks given by:
if you need me to read off your map to send to whippy or steve i can do that
i also have PP2000 here too so can read your codes and see if the MAF is working as it should Wink
Thanks given by:
Rough price of a map file?
Thanks given by:
£75 from pro steve
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-206-30...4d0a3d79a7
Thanks given by:
Ideal Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Newbie, meet guide section; guide section, meet newbie. Wink This should get you started bud: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-42.html It's a fairly good explanation, although the power estimations are a bit optimistic and "uprated" panel filters will munch your maf, particularly K&Ns it seems (you don't want that to happen btw). Actually, you can pretty much ignore the bit about induction, people are still using the standard airbox at stage 2 without apparent issue.

The MOT still only tests for smoke from diesels, and although a bad stage 1 map could cause you to fail on that front, removing the cat is certainly not an issue. I guess you know this since you mentioned a dummy-box, but i'll say it anyway in case - the exhaust must have at least one box in to pass an MOT. The centre-box is pretty much a straight-through design anyway, so you could use that as a back-box if you're on a budget, save some extra pennies towards a map.

Blanking the EGR isn't particularly difficult if you've done anything mechanical before, it's just that access isn't great. Ideally you want to get the thing completely mapped out as well, failing that you will have to disable the air-doser - if you have one. If you just unplug both items the ECU will log a silent fault, however this won't affect running much and won't directly trigger the EML.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
ok cheers mate Big Grin

that's a good write up!

what does a air-doser look like? like a throttle body?

And for the exhaust i was thinking of getting him to buy s16 or gti6 back box or do they have baffles to?
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 09:20 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: ok cheers mate Big Grin

that's a good write up!

what does a air-doser look like? like a throttle body?

And for the exhaust i was thinking of getting him to buy s16 or gti6 back box or do they have baffles to?

They'll make too much backpressure for the HDi, you are better off doing the centre box mod and welding on a tip if you want the looks of the 6 box
Thanks given by:
not looks thinking of cheaper than buying after market back box
Thanks given by:
You can pick up another centre box for like £15-30.. try and find an aftermarket back box for that price. Bar a straight piece of pipe I doubt you'll find anything that flows as well for anywhere near that price bracket mate
Thanks given by:
yeah right!

whats the bore size? 2.25?

can't remove all silencers though so have to be back box!

anyone cut open and removed baffles out of stand back box? got a mig lol
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 09:35 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: yeah right!

whats the bore size? 2.25?

can't remove all silencers though so have to be back box!

anyone cut open and removed baffles out of stand back box? got a mig lol

2.25 yep.
you can open up the backbox and just put a pipe through it so it still looks like a box - but by having the centre box there, and even cat - you've got your 1 box so I don't see the issue?
Thanks given by:
why bother buy a new centre section fit it to the car and cut up the old removed one and make a backbox easy!
even the flange's are right just cut to length and make a hanger
Thanks given by:
very true and easier to mod back box than center section Wink
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 09:41 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: very true and easier to mod back box than center section

wrong would be easyer to mount the centre box at the rear

than to cut open the back box weld pipe in and weld up box
Thanks given by:
I have an HDi backbox for sale, just the box though with the flange on it, you'd need to source some pipe to fit on the back.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 09:44 PM)cully Wrote:
(18-03-2013, 09:41 PM)Josh_Quant Wrote: very true and easier to mod back box than center section

wrong would be easyer to mount the centre box at the rear

than to cut open the back box weld pipe in and weld up box

apparently not........
Thanks given by:
No probs. Smile

Yeah air-doser looks a lot like a throttle body, disconnect and plug the vacuum feed and she's done, easy as that.

As said above, any direct-fit OEM petrol backbox will be worse than the standard jobby. Either do the mid-backbox conversion or empty out the current backbox or just replace the backbox with a bit of straight pipe, any of the three options will have the desired effect. Personally i'd keep the midbox and replace the backbox with a bit of straight pipe. Emptying out the backbox will make for a more boomy sound, don't know whether he'd want that or not...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine sounds pretty good with a complete straight through to empty cat as a backbox, not too boomy. And it's considerably quieter than a full proper straight pipe.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Here's the rear mid box guide http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-36.html
Thanks given by:
I don't he will want it to sound like its got a big bore on it lol

keeping center box and replacing back box with straight through pipe we decided....

will breaking the cat out make it sound BOOMY then? :L or would it be better to get a decat pipe to keep noise levels quiet kind of?
Thanks given by:
I had my silencer cut open and gutted. Makes quite a bit of difference to response but its not loud on idle or pootling

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by: