Writing a CV/Jobhunting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing a CV/Jobhunting
No offence bud, but i've lost count of the number of times i've been told not to use bullet points.

Good point about highlighting the better/more relevant jobs though, Ive got 6 different cvs thatill use depending on what im applying for.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
^ I still think you're brave submitting anything more than 2 pages.

My CV is 1 page long. It has a single statement at the top summarising me. Then a section covering academic awards, another covering relevant previous jobs, another for skills, and then a couple of sentences covering personal interests.

Imo there shouldn't need to be anything more. If they've made it past your qualifications and previous job experience and aren't ineterested, they're not going to read another few pages...

Personally for the majority of jobs I wouldn't even bother with a covering letter, or if you feel you need it make it really short. If they're reading through hundreds of CV's, they aren't going to want to read through a big covering letter followed by a CV, they want to cut to the chase, know if you're qualified and/or with the right experience, and if you'll fit well with the team you'll be working with, and that's it.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
We've had some CVs come through here with a passport photograph on the top! That's a terrible idea, do not do it!

Some of the Polish guys here have some pretty basic CVs cosisting mainly of-
Name
Abilities (usually just drivers license, some have a forklift license)

Still works for them though!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
A good cover letter is key, as it's the first thing they see! It does depend on the job though- again when looking for a cleaner I don't really care about the cover letter, but when looking for someone in an admin/managerial role I want to see how they communicate, their grammar etc...

The worst thing is sending a standard cover letter that you use as a template and not changing the 'I am applying for such and such a job bit'. The amount of cleaner applications I've had that state they're applying for an admin/driving job etc. Straight in the 'no' pile.
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 11:48 AM)Kimmie Wrote: A good cover letter is key, as it's the first thing they see! It does depend on the job though- again when looking for a cleaner I don't really care about the cover letter, but when looking for someone in an admin/managerial role I want to see how they communicate, their grammar etc...

The worst thing is sending a standard cover letter that you use as a template and not changing the 'I am applying for such and such a job bit'. The amount of cleaner applications I've had that state they're applying for an admin/driving job etc. Straight in the 'no' pile.

Meh, my record is 3 jobs from 3 applications without a covering letter Wink
Thanks given by:
And I'm 2 for 2 full jobs plus 2 for 2 promotions in one of those with a covering letter Wink
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 12:55 PM)Scott Wrote: And I'm 2 for 2 full jobs plus 2 for 2 promotions in one of those with a covering letter Wink

Such a corporate big-wig Scotty, your promotions make me so wet Tongue
Thanks given by:
Careful you don't start dripping on your shoes!
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 01:06 PM)Scott Wrote: Careful you don't start dripping on your shoes!

Dont. You. DARE!

Rofl
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cv writing bashbarnard 11 1,645 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Last Post: 1616six
  Writing Applications Atterz 2 1,046 16-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Last Post: silverzx
  Anyone good at writing cvs? Matt 6 3,198 27-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Matt