MOT Rules changing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT Rules changing
Lol car only has 2 seats, so its clear what my intentions are, and the car only had a drivers side one anyways, its just stupidity to try and force more and more old cars off the road, despite the fact there the most reliable ones around!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 08:03 PM)Blandy Wrote: Yes there are 2 sides to every story and yeah on a standard road car I'd want airbags. But in a stripped out car with cage harness bars, fixed buckets etc I.e race spec then that's going to be safer than a airbag alone. I can understand the point of stopping the unsafe mods etc but really needs looking into rather than just doing a blanket rule

But that's just my 2p

But problem is, the many uses of vehicles in this world mean that they cant have a scenario for every use. They cant spend millions on developing a different mot test for track spec road legal cars because out of the total amount of cars in the uk, track spec road legal ones are such a small minority you wouldn't believe. In an ideal world you would just say that the test should be a mot tester using his common sense on what has been done to a car and how safe it is but a lot of people dont know the meaning of common sense so we have to be told these things!

(16-03-2013, 08:06 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Lol car only has 2 seats, so its clear what my intentions are, and the car only had a drivers side one anyways, its just stupidity to try and force more and more old cars off the road, despite the fact there the most reliable ones around!

Yeah we all know that. We are all on here because we are in a similar mindset but alot of people out there dont realise our intentions and seeing as we are turning into a nanny state that sues everyone imagine for example you took your car to a garage to solve a suspension knock and the mechanic test drove it, ditched the car and smashed his skull in because there was no airbag and you had a race wheel that was a lot closer to the driver. Chance of it happening? Virtually nil but its still possible and thats why we have to be wrapped up in bubble wrap. Because the idiots out there need an excuse to sue someone because they have no common sense.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah would hope for common sense as was told before that fully tracked preped cars will be down to discression but again so much stuff floating around the Internet you never know what to believe. Hopefully there will be some level of common sense but guess ill have to wait and see. Otherwise I gotta do alot of work of go all out and take it off the road permanently Sad
Thanks given by:
Well as we all know, there are always lenient testers out there so its not a major problem.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah always that but I've tried to keep just the right side of the mot test to avoid hassles like trying to find dodgy stations etc.

I'm guessing all rallyes had a airbag? Lol
Thanks given by:
yep all rallies had airbags lol
and it doesnt always mean dodgy. dont forget a lot of it is down to mot tester opinion and discretion so you could take it to one garage and get a page of advisories and go to another and get none. I know because its happened to me lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Wasn't there some research done that stated airbags are infact more dangerous in accidents? The only time they help is if you're not wearing a seatbelt? I'm sure that's not me dreaming that up.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 08:32 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Wasn't there some research done that stated airbags are infact more dangerous in accidents? The only time they help is if you're not wearing a seatbelt? I'm sure that's not me dreaming that up.

I Think you been dreaming short stuff!!
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 08:35 PM)Jonny b Wrote: I Think you been dreaming short stuff!!

Still, wouldn't want one going off in my face (inb4giggity)
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
dont appreciate the idiot comment at all. douche

my one airbag is all fine...but I dont see why all with harnesses and stripped cars and rally/trials cars have to suffer.

Wont affect me...but I still find it irritating.

PS I know they do go of...but amazing to see how many DONT go off in huge accidents!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It will Fooking affect me!! Though I think they would put mine through as track based lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 08:46 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: dont appreciate the idiot comment at all. douche

my one airbag is all fine...but I dont see why all with harnesses and stripped cars and rally/trials cars have to suffer.

Wont affect me...but I still find it irritating.

PS I know they do go of...but amazing to see how many DONT go off in huge accidents!

Thats because i think you will really be surprised at how advanced the systems are. Even these old pug ones for their age! They dont just go off because there has been a crash. It can be because of the direct of the crash, the severity, if your still moving after the initial impact etc. Modern ones are hugely advanced because sometimes in some accidents they can do a bit more damage than if they wernt there. but generally, they do save lives (when used with a seat belt of course)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall why are you supporting our shitty laws and modern car safety equipment Wink

Roll back 30 years to where it was drive on winwinwin,.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
amen to that
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm not at all. I'm just trying to look at it from both sides and I can see their side but main thing is, it's now enforceable so regardless of our opinions, we have to comply to them if we want a fresh ticket this year Smile

I no longer have side bags in my car. Not that it would affect me because it looks like i do :p

Edit; and yeah I agree about going back 30 years. Driving the Kia is nice. It's comfy and quiet but my god it's dull. Just like any modern car. IMO 306 was the last fun car and I'm not just saying that because i own one!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You missed half the story:

Quote:Modified vehicles.
Where a vehicle has been extensively modified or converted, certain reasons for rejection, such as for components 'missing where fitted as standard' should not be applied, for example:
- a car converted for rally use ( i.e.rear seats removed and fitted with roll cage and fullharness seat belts etc.) may have been converted so as not to require a brake servo, powersteering or airbags.
- a car converted to a stretch limousine may no longer be fitted with curtain airbags or functional electronic stability control. "
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
basically down to discretion then... some MOT testers wouldnt know what a roll cage was!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeh so discretion is still no problem, in which case a tractor car with custom wheel and no airbags / buckets is no problem at all...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Winner, having no back seats and a harness bar will mean i get through it alright then. Its basicly do a proper job and you dont need the airbags.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
so quickly whip out rear seats...8bolts...

and cable tie in some scaffold bars and jobs done for mot time!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah correct but the main term that has been used is tester discretion. Some will be good with it but we all know some testers just take a general dislike to modified cars because everyone knows we are all chavs.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 09:30 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: You missed half the story:

Quote:Modified vehicles.
Where a vehicle has been extensively modified or converted, certain reasons for rejection, such as for components 'missing where fitted as standard' should not be applied, for example:
- a car converted for rally use ( i.e.rear seats removed and fitted with roll cage and fullharness seat belts etc.) may have been converted so as not to require a brake servo, powersteering or airbags.
- a car converted to a stretch limousine may no longer be fitted with curtain airbags or functional electronic stability control. "

Well that answers how the wrc cars etc get through and kinda solves my issue as long as there's a clause like this I can argue my case at mot time
Thanks given by:
306 airbags do go off, just has to be a direct head on with a tree or similarly hard object
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Phil, where was that part written up?
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 08:06 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Lol car only has 2 seats, so its clear what my intentions are, and the car only had a drivers side one anyways, its just stupidity to try and force more and more old cars off the road, despite the fact there the most reliable ones around!

This. My HDi is brilliant, but you ought to hear the guys in the office - their jealousy at it's reliability is often obvious during their criticisms of me driving an 'old' car.

I bet it's safer than 95% of the car park as i'm so meticulous.
Thanks given by:
That was in the last tech directive/clarification sent out for implementation tommorow (20th march)
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2013, 07:36 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: 306 airbags do go off, just has to be a direct head on with a tree or similarly hard object
I've been in 2 head ons in a 306 and neither of them went off?

One I hit a crash barrier head on at 65mph and it didn't go off, second was in my mates car who we were hit head on by a drunk driver we were doing 50 slowing down and he was doing atleast 70
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Ooops I missed this thread hahha. Blush
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 01:41 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: That was in the last tech directive/clarification sent out for implementation tommorow (20th march)

Found it. http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/SN...20V1.0.pdf

Thanks Phil.
Thanks given by:
Bookmarked that link ready for mot time
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rules on selling a new contract phone? Redordead89 6 1,321 06-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Rules on JSA? rtha6551 3 1,322 22-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Last Post: silverzx
  CAT D Vehicle rules/paperwork? ginge191 23 5,916 03-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Last Post: procta