exhaust noise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
exhaust noise
last week i decatted the hdi and replaced the back box for a straight section of pipe. I have just kept it at 2.25" for now but im surprised it barely made any difference to the noise, there isnt much grunt tbh.

is the midbox enough to keep it a good bit quieter? I have heard other hdi's with straight through and decat sound much louder
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The standard midbox won't be damping it by that much, a sports backbox will make a big difference to the sound.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
would increasing the diameter help too? i dont understand if i have basically a straight through except for mid box why its so quiet lol.
Thanks given by:
If you're comparing it to a straight piped petrol, it will be quieter, the turbo silences it a lot.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
no to other hdi's and dturbos. might just consider going for a full straight through 2.5'' with a dummy box
Thanks given by:
How have you decatted it?

Thanks given by:
yep only gutted out though
Thanks given by:
Could be that that's causing it, are you sure you got all the stuff out? There might be a bit stuck in it or something. If you can weld, just stick some pipe in to replace it.

Thanks given by:
yep 100%. im thinking of getting some 2.5'' pipe and weld up a custom one with a dummy box
Thanks given by:
My DT has just the mid box and its a lot louder than standard.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Straight thru 2.5 stainless with just a backbox not too noisy deep tone and then spunds like a perv on boost
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just thought - yours isn't mapped is it? A stage 1 will make a significant difference to the noise.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah its standard as I want to do my injectors first. Bloody thing feels like its missing all the time now
Thanks given by:
Mines straight off the cat atm since the pipe snapped, and its really fecking loud, both at idle and cruise, under load is almost unbearable (but really adictive also with the gurgling warble lol). All I've lost is the midbox and backbox......
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2013, 05:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: ...All I've lost is the midbox and backbox......

So yeah, you know, pretty much the whole exhaust then... Itwasntme
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Lol, but not the cat...which I thought was supposed to be the most restrictive part lol! Tongue And people say the turbo quietens it down too. It really doesn't lol, put it this way, cruising at 3k rpm I can't understand a passenger shouting... lol
Thanks given by:
Okay problem sorted I'll just illegally remove my whole exhaust lol
Thanks given by:
Remove it? It's French, it'll fall off sooner or later. lol
Thanks given by:
I drove around with no exhaust before straight off the turbo, it was great fun, wasnt even that loud really :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Tom is a drama-queen, we know this.

The cat is restrictive, but it's also not designed for noise reduction, unlike the rest of the exhaust... :p
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I drove around for a bit with no exhaust off the back of my new turbo, and no intake piping on the side Big Grin sounded absolutely awesome, but wasn't silly loud, quieter then most of the chavs in corsas and puntos anyway.

Thanks given by:
Maybe my engines just more broken than yours are then....it really is loud. Everyone around looks over when I start it up. Sad but its ok, they can't see through the smoke screen. lol

Fair enough its not as loud as my neighbours EVO though.... lol
Thanks given by:
We knew that too hahah. :p

Why don't you add a dump valve? Then no-one will know the difference. ninja
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I picked up a 1993 1.3spi mini once which had the exhaust fall off...just after the manifold....

loud as godzilla....

was hilarious to see people turn and imagine to see a great big sportscar or thumping bike and see a old cream mini!!!

was a lot of fun down sidestreets tho
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2013, 08:11 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: was a lot of fun down sidestreets tho

This is true, the echo off the walls is epic! Yet people still walk in the road seemingly not noticing the car. Confused
Thanks given by:
When they do this you need to redline it, watch thm jump out of their skins hahah.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: