10mm won't pump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10mm won't pump
I'm a bit stumped with this one. Built up my 10mm, fitted it to the car today, and went to bleed the fuel lines and no fuel was being pumped. Swapped the solenoid for a spare one, no luck. Took the solenoid's insides out, and still no fuel. Took a delivery valve off, nothing, maybe a tiny dribble but I couldn't see anything.

Even without the solenoid in, it doesn't chuck fuel out the top, the only thing that made it pour out fuel was by using the hand primer.. I took the lid off, checked the lever set and made sure that little dowel was slotted into the collar, and all seemed fine.

I can't think of anything else that I could have done wrong, or maybe the head is no good? The donor pump was full of diesel and nice and clean inside.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
How far did you strip the pump down, just enough to change the head, or the whole lot?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you just don't have your max fuel set right and not bled right
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I didn't take any of the levers out. I took the top off, then unbolted the head, slid it out carefully. Then put the new one in, made sure the camplate and rollers were all together in the pump, and made sure the head collar sat in the dowel and the springs were in the right place.

(14-03-2013, 07:15 PM)Dave Wrote: Sounds like you just don't have your max fuel set right and not bled right

So that would stop the fuel from bleeding properly at the unions? The max fuel was set back to what it was with the 9mm, and I cranked it for a while, a few times and no fuel was coming from the loose unions. Is there something else i should have bled?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Maybe a bit blunt but are the fuel pipes the correct way round?
Thanks given by:
If the lever is in the collar fine and you're sure all the springs etc went in nicely, then I would have to say its a problem with the head itself, blocked or seized somewhere. Cant really be much else if you didnt strip it any further than that.

Dawson, the pump isnt pumping at all, even with the fuel lines removed Smile
Thanks given by:
I may take it apart again and have a look. I doubt I will get another 10mm donor pump this cheap for a while though Sad May just go to 11mm.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I very much doubt its the head, they are rediculously strong and normally something obviously wrong with them like rusty or snapped.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I don't know what other problem it could be. Best thing I can probably do is take it apart and start again.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
If you havn't already done so, try removing the return and prime the shit outta it! Worth a try.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Yeah I did that first, and actually that reminds me, it was stood for two days with no diesel in it after being built, would it really cause damage that quickly?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Unless the fuel pin is sticking inside the head,
Thanks given by:
Is that the bit that's accessed via the middle bolt hole between the DV's? How would I check it and if it's sticking is there a way of un-sticking it?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Take the 13mm out, and stick something in, and turn car over by hand and see how far it moves, if it's only a few mm, then I guess it's sticking, try and free it by pushing it in when turning engine by hand
Thanks given by:
Bit of a pain now it's off the car! lol. Would it would If i got an old cambelt, got someone to turn it slowly whilst holding it in a vice?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
im still not sure what the issue was with mine. but take the throttle arm off wind the throttle right open with a screw driverad try again. i have a suspision that this was the issue with mine.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(14-03-2013, 10:18 PM)Ricky Wrote: Bit of a pain now it's off the car! lol. Would it would If i got an old cambelt, got someone to turn it slowly whilst holding it in a vice?

Turn it over by the sprocket nut, with a spanner
Thanks given by:
Should there be fuel coming out of the DV's when turning by hand? Or is it not fast enough for it to come out?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Are you sure you have fuel screw in enough, bleed is far back on alot of 10mm pumps, so unless uve put long levers in stock levers will needs lots of max fuel to get to a normal idle fuel quanity...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
O ok, its set to what it was with the 9mm. Do you think 11mm would have been a better choice then?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Even with max fuel all the way in, idle lever at max and empty solenoid all I'm getting is a very small dribble from one of the lines.. Back to 9mm now I think.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Hm somethings up if you getting nothing on full max, take solenoid out, crank motor, does fuel piss out the solenoid hole?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I couldnt see properly, I know if I pumped the grenade it would pour out the solenoid hole
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosch 10mm head, Its Ok? JamesPT 4 1,412 20-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Chairchild