2.2HDi VNT question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.2HDi VNT question
Just a thought, my current turbo is just a normal wastegate turbo but the wastegate is controlled by a solenoid and vacuum (rather than by boost on a nomal turbo)

If i fitted a VNT with a Vacuum actuator on it and plugged it to the solenoid would it work well enough to wait for a remap? I guess it would just let it spool then feed it vac when the boost got too much thus opening the vanes and backing off the boost?
Thanks given by:
It may do but it would almost certainly overspeed and surge at low rpms without proper control. Tbh Ruan's your man for that question though...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
What's the worst that could happen. Crack on!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-03-2013, 08:41 PM)silverzx Wrote: What's the worst that could happen. Crack on!

What he says; you've got base knowledge and as much understanding as anyone else (to an extent) and yeh, there are alternative, and probably more productive ways to control a VNT, which have been banged throughout the forum, but you won't actually know until you try it. You know the consequences if it goes wrong, are you willing to throw ££ at something .... ?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
It will work to some degree, but as Ed mensioned, you will find it trys to surge like mad at lower rpms, as the VNT will wake up WAY to early in the rpms to for the engine to support its flow compared to a wg turbo, but it wont back the vanes off as all ecu is looking at is target boost...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Cheers Darren, thats pretty much what I was thinking. I guess it'd probably be surging sitting on the motorway
Thanks given by:
They wont tend to surge whilst cruising, its as soon as you load the engine whilst in a higher gear, turbo easily spools and itkl just make horrific noises lol...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.2HDI 16V advice plz for new project :-) pioneer DJ paddy 9 2,495 22-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: pioneer DJ paddy