Geeks - help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geeks - help?
I need someone to find me something that plays a programmable sound at the push of a button. It needs to be manageable via USB, cheap, and allow me to upload a sound to it that can be outputted to the car stereo. It also needs to be 12v so either 12v out of the box, or I need an inverter to wire into the car's electrics.

Wiring wise, I want it to play the sound when the button is pressed (continuity switch) and stop playing when the button is released.

Anyone who finds what I need will be rewarded as a day of Googling has not returned what I need.

Merci.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So you want something that runs off of 12V and plays a sound clip from a USB stick (on loop, I pressume?) with a momentary switch?

Is that a really bad way of asking how to make your own siren?! lol

I think you're overcomplicating it tbh.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
No, nothing like a siren. I need something programmable and with a decent audio out to wire to the stereo. Sound will not be played on a loop, i need it on demand on a switch...
Thanks given by:
I'm not good at searching stuff in english, but I'd probably use something like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MP3-Sound-Module...0535073165
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-VS1003-MP3-...27c7b44566

you probably need a voltage regulator etc. but something like this should work

search for sound modules on ebay, lots of results there...
Thanks given by:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/single-message-r...kit-265464
Thanks given by:
Saw that cully, but it's not usb programmable, think the recording of that is done via a microphone so sound quality will likely be shit when amped
Thanks given by:
when you say programable you want to load it with a sound file ?
Thanks given by:
Pretty much aye. Ideally i'd want two or three sounds with the relevant number of switches but that's getting out of my depth.

Rather than being all ninja I now have a joystick/jet fighter style gearstick and want to wire the trigger to a machine gun sound of my choosing for some rush hour giggles, but want it to play over the car stereo as the tiny speakers on a lot of kits would be inaudible over the tank clatter
Thanks given by:
So like a sound effect? Like when I press a button on my Buzz Lightyear action figure?

I think you need some form of sound module with a trigger. Quite how you're gonna wire that into your existing wiring harness I don't know, since you would need to isolate whatever is already playing on your audio system...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, unless I wired it as an aux line in to the stereo, would mean switching inputs for play time though
Thanks given by:
Gonna be easier - I think - to hook up a loudspeaker separately from the cars sound system.

If you're going down this route you definitely need to build some kind of HUD / target system, with crosshairs on the dashboard somewhere. I've tried to find a good picture but failed.
Thanks given by:
I know, i was thinking etched perspex with edge lit LED's but am not entirely sure where to rig it up. Also considered a true HUD projector style laser target on the windscreen but again, wouldn't know where to start
Thanks given by:
Surely any apocalypse vehicle needs a PA system like Clarksons car in last nights Top Gear.

(11-03-2013, 04:31 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: I know, i was thinking etched perspex with edge lit LED's but am not entirely sure where to rig it up. Also considered a true HUD projector style laser target on the windscreen but again, wouldn't know where to start

Like on the newer BMW's?

Pretty sure I've seen something like that done using 2 pieces of perspex.
Thanks given by:
You can use a mute signal to stop whatever is on the stereo same way as a handsfree kit would.

Could send the output straight to the amp?
Thanks given by:
have you got bluetooth on your stereo?
if so use your phone Wink
Thanks given by:
yeh just get a usb headunit and play it off that. otherwise you could do it pretty easily on a raspberry pi! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If you fancy like building something yourself, have a look at Max/MSP and what that program can control. Havent used it in a year or two, but can be programmed into hardware.

Probably not the most helpful ever, but didn't use it with external stuff when I used it, I do know it can be though.
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2013, 05:58 PM)cully Wrote: have you got bluetooth on your stereo?

(11-03-2013, 06:23 PM)SRowell Wrote: yeh just get a usb headunit and play it off that. otherwise you could do it pretty easily on a raspberry pi! Big Grin

You're missing the point, I need make the sound play when the trigger is depressed. Wiring a switch to a usb headunit would be well off limits. Wiring to a 3.5mm jack on the other hand shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2013, 06:57 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 05:58 PM)cully Wrote: have you got bluetooth on your stereo?

(11-03-2013, 06:23 PM)SRowell Wrote: yeh just get a usb headunit and play it off that. otherwise you could do it pretty easily on a raspberry pi! Big Grin

You're missing the point, I need make the sound play when the trigger is depressed. Wiring a switch to a usb headunit would be well off limits. Wiring to a 3.5mm jack on the other hand shouldn't be an issue.

and i think you miss that the Raspberry pi has GPIO for connecting hardware such as buttons, switches and joysticks etc Wink

http://learn.adafruit.com/playing-sounds...i/overview
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech geeks help! Niall 1 779 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy
  IT geeks! Help please! cpikey316_ 7 2,112 23-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Scott
  Phone geeks needed??? Chris_90 15 4,020 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Tom