Intermittent Misfire / cutting out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Misfire / cutting out
As above, just recently ive the i can be driveing the car it being fine then all of a sudden it will just start to miss fire and massive drop in power and if i put the clutch in it will just cut out. Then some times it will start straight away some other times it will take ages of turning over to start. So ive replaced fuel filter and cleaned the in tank strainer but still seems the same.

Any ideas?

Im thinking pump dieing? or an injector dieing? but with it being an every now and agin problem its hard to get under bonnet to find out whats causing it

Also just to say im on 100%veg but never had any issues before (only the lump idle start up)

Need to get it fixed asap as with me useing my car for work its really getting right on my tits now, about killed clutch from trying to bump it all the time.

Thanks given by:
Sticking stop solenoid?
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 10:01 AM)Parksy87 Wrote: Sticking stop solenoid?

What can i do to test it/ free it never looked at one before

Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 10:06 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:

Replace it with a known good one, or remove the plunger and turn it off on the pump all the time.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 10:21 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 10:06 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:

Replace it with a known good one, or remove the plunger and turn it off on the pump all the time.

Plunger? no idea i dont no much when it comes to the pump, ive just disconnected the stop solinoied then every time i touched the wires together i could hear it clicking so seems ok to me. Gona go put some diesle in it see if it helps. Starting to piss me off now just cut out on a main round about and didnt start agin for 10mins Angry hope its not the pump, But ive never hurd of some one killing a bosch pump

Thanks given by:
Plunger is the little rubber doodah onthe end of the solenoid, take the solenoid out take the little rubber doodah off and keep it safe thing is it wont shut off with the ignition you'd have to stall it but worth a try just incase, before you do that turn your ignition on and give the feed to your solenoid a wiggle see if it clicks incase you have a dodgy connection
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
Mate how cold is it? Sounds like its veg related.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Id say stop solenoid buddy
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Could well be the 100% veg as that stuff gums up horribly in winter. One of the reasons I switched to straight derv over winter as I noticed veg gumming up in the fuel lines.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
right ive just put 20 liters of derv in and its stoped missfireing now but still strugleing/takeing longer to start, My god it gose well now on derv suprised on the difference.

So maybe the veg has cloged up my fuel lines??

The thing is i want to run veg as its saveing me a massive amount supprised it just cost me £30 for 20 liters of derv nearly had to call an abulance as nearly had a hart attack lol Maybe a inline fuel heater?

Oh and its not really that cold well not below frezzeing i dont think

Thanks given by:
Bang on the money Wink

I put 5% petrol in when its minus.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 11:51 AM)Anton Wrote: Bang on the money Wink

I put 5% petrol in when its minus.

Think im gona run straight derv for next couple of weeks hope it sorts the starting issue out maybe put some injector cleaner/ 2 stroke though it see if it gets better

Thanks given by:
id say injector
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 12:16 PM)karl1989 Wrote: id say injector

Read rest of comments Wink think its down to the veg

Thanks given by:
i have. mine use to misfire and cut out some times when turning or just randomly ended up been a duff injector
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 12:41 PM)karl1989 Wrote: i have. mine use to misfire and cut out some times when turning or just randomly ended up been a duff injector

But its stopped miss firing at the min unless it develops agin

Thanks given by:
I wouldn't run 100 % veg ever. Maybe 70 veg 30 derv and that would be mid summer time
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 03:25 PM)Jimbo Wrote: I wouldn't run 100 % veg ever. Maybe 70 veg 30 derv and that would be mid summer time

Ive run 100% veg for 4 weeks and this is first issue, quite a few people run 100% with out issue

Thanks given by:
It has to be quite cold to clog veg up you've still got the standard thermostat housing filter which will thin the veg down so it would only be a temperiarry issue unless it was allot of small journeys I between long breaks.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Yeah but veg that evaporates gets gunky as f*ck too, any sign of veg heating up and cooling down will also gum up. I ran 100% veg for months on end and only changed to derv because of the new blower, and it felt starved of fuel at top end.

Veg does all kinds of nasty stuff over time so fuel lines etc could well be gunked, just look at how often you need to change fuel filters when running the stuff.

I reckon a few weeks on proper diesel and you'll probably see most issues disappear
Thanks given by:
(10-03-2013, 11:06 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: It has to be quite cold to clog veg up you've still got the standard thermostat housing filter which will thin the veg down so it would only be a temperiarry issue unless it was allot of small journeys I between long breaks.

I do stop start all night around town anything between 25-150miles a night

(11-03-2013, 12:03 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Yeah but veg that evaporates gets gunky as f*ck too, any sign of veg heating up and cooling down will also gum up. I ran 100% veg for months on end and only changed to derv because of the new blower, and it felt starved of fuel at top end.

Veg does all kinds of nasty stuff over time so fuel lines etc could well be gunked, just look at how often you need to change fuel filters when running the stuff.

I reckon a few weeks on proper diesel and you'll probably see most issues disappear

To be fair the issue has pretty much gone already had a couple of times were it took ages to start last night but as the night went on it started first time every time never missed once. So nice to have derv in before in a other post i did a 30-60 time i believed it wasnt possible to do a 30-70 with out a gov mod, the veg really really dose take the top end off before it struggled to go over 4k now i 4,800rpm and i can do 30-70, The speed difference is amazing before i would struggle to brake traction in first lol Now i have it skips around like mad 1st 2nd AND 3rd to and after that the clutch lets go and just spins up ..... Im just so amazed on the difference defo think im gona run a good 50/50 mix for a while and every now and agin when im skint run 100% veg, Carnt wait to get the td04 on now and gov mod Smile

Is it worth me looking in to a in line fuel heater??

I was going to do the fuel filter mod but it wont warm the veg up when the car is cold so i dont see the point to be honest

Thanks given by:
Personally I wouldn't bother with a heater, i've bypassed the fuel filter and running an in line one, so no heater, and it still starts first time every time, although it was missing for a couple of minutes yesterday.

Saying that, my entire car's a bodge so yeah, maybe don't follow in my footsteps lol
Thanks given by:
I've run 100% veg for a year now never really had a problem except for changing the fuel filter.
Done 10,000 miles so far
Thanks given by:
Stop being tight arses n running veg haha ultimate derv all the way :p
Thanks given by:
Gotta be done when your an unemployed hobo xD
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2013, 10:17 AM)D@wson Wrote: I've run 100% veg for a year now never really had a problem except for changing the fuel filter.
Done 10,000 miles so far

I dont get why im running in to issues after only 3,000-4000 miles Undecided just my luck tbh lol

(11-03-2013, 11:02 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Stop being tight arses n running veg haha ultimate derv all the way :p

You must be on to much money Wink lol

Thanks given by:
(11-03-2013, 11:44 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 10:17 AM)D@wson Wrote: I've run 100% veg for a year now never really had a problem except for changing the fuel filter.
Done 10,000 miles so far

I dont get why im running in to issues after only 3,000-4000 miles Undecided just my luck tbh lol

(11-03-2013, 11:02 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: Stop being tight arses n running veg haha ultimate derv all the way :p

Depends on the condition of seals, injectors, pump, filters etc when you start running it. They may have been on the way out already, running veg won't have helped.

I stopped before I got any real trouble but my leakoffs did melt at one point.
Thanks given by:

[/quote]

Could be true haha but may have to start a bit of veg when i order my R6 n do bike testlol
Thanks given by:
(11-03-2013, 02:16 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 11:44 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:
Done 10,000 miles so far

Depends on the condition of seals, injectors, pump, filters etc when you start running it. They may have been on the way out already, running veg won't have helped.

I stopped before I got any real trouble but my leakoffs did melt at one point.

So what are you saying? that it could be my pump/injectors that could be dieing? i thought the bosch could just take it for ever with out issue lol or am i expecting to much? i changed my filter twice in 3/4,000 mile so that should be ok plus running brand new veg oil not used

Thanks given by:
Yeah but some of the seals in the fuel system don't agree with veg.

The fact it's clearing up to me just says its arteries were getting a bit clogged. Might well be ok once it's had a run on the good stuff.

Besides, derv = POWAHH!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Misfire at idle Chris_90 6 3,116 09-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
Thumbs Down Misfire at light throttle under 2k Paul_13 4 1,307 16-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Paul_13
  starup vid misfire...why? CJ_Derv 6 2,528 20-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Last Post: CJ_Derv