hdi randomly cut out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hdi randomly cut out
So on the way home from work at 1am the hdi decides to cut out, car had only been running a minute and I was doing like 20 mph, just died completely. Turned ignition on again and it started no bother and drove on home.

ideas?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Possibly the brown relay at the back of the ecu. Usually get away with cleaning it

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Thats what I am going to try first. I serviced it last week incl fuel filter and don't know if that has anything to do with it
Thanks given by:
Am I right in saying the brown relay is over by the battery or Ecu?
Thanks given by:
Ecu, well their both at same side of the engine bay. Could try get you a pic if need be

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Its just behind the ecu. Did you drain and clean your filter housing when you changed it? Notice any gold bits in the bottom?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Tbh mate that's what worries me, it was dirty but no gold bits. I took the housing out and drained it but didn't clean it really well as I wasn't sure what to use without risking getting something stuck in the system.
Thanks given by:
A bit of clean diesel or wd40 or something similar to flush it through will do for future reference. She should be alright for that, maybe worth whipping the fpr out and giving that a quick clean if it happens again.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers mate its been fine since but il not hold my breath lol. would it be good to open the housing again and clean it out? how do you clean the fpr?
Thanks given by:
Dont know there's much point doing it if it doesnt happen again, anything that was going to go through has probably been and done it by now.

You can flush out the fpr too, preferably with something pressurised, wd40 is what I use (notice a them developing? lol). Remove the o-ring first though, dont know how itll react to the chemicals, dont forget to refit it afterwards.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
give the lift pump a whack this will also help Smile
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by: