Another clutch thread...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another clutch thread...
Hi all,

Had the car mapped (stage 2) by Whippy himself this week *Brilliant job! Top man.* But the clutch now slips a few days on and is getting progressively worse. I understood from the outset that I need to upgrade the clutch but there is no definitive answer on any forum of which one to buy which is why I am starting this.

Just to add I do intend to tune the car further. I'm aiming around the 270-280+ ft/lbs mark. I phoned around and have a few options, just wanted to get an idea of what the best way round this is...

- Helix quoted me a paddle friction disk at £185.95 and an organic fast road at £142.75. Has anyone used an organic type? Also If I decided to get the paddle, could I use that in conjunction with a standard pressure plate until I tune it further then buy the upgraded pressure plate or do I need to go all out for it to work at all?

- CG motorsport - Didn't fill me with confidence when I asked if it will see more than 2k miles and he said he wont garunteee anything but hey ho. He quoted me at £275.00 for a 5 paddle solid & £325.00 for a 4 paddle sprung (both 3 piece kits)? Iv read mixed reviews on these guys, do I avoid them?

I don't want any slip at all, so I ruled out the XUD and OEM valeo options. In all honesty, how bad are paddle clutches for daily driving, as its currently looking to be the best option?

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
There's the sachs berlingo clutch thats apparently good enough for stage 2, ask Whippy he seems to know more about it than most
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
When I was with Whippy we did talk about my clutch options abit, my only concern with an OEM is that it will slip if I go for more power, or it will only last about 10k haha. Really I just want something I can bang in and not worry about again.

I did see this upgraded sachs clutch floating around on a few threads from turbostylez.de? Has anyone got any info on this?
Thanks given by:
I've got the cg 5 paddle clutch for £275 it's managing to hold my full stage 2 remapp 150bhp 380ft/lbs I've done around 600 miles still seems good.
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2013, 09:14 AM)Ben hdi306 Wrote: I've got the cg 5 paddle clutch for £275 it's managing to hold my full stage 2 remapp 150bhp 380ft/lbs I've done around 600 miles still seems good.

For £275 I'd bloody well hope it was still ok at 600 miles!
Also need to order my stage 2 clutch this week
Thanks given by:
That's cheap for a performance clutch kit, Vaughan. lol
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(09-03-2013, 10:44 AM)Poodle Wrote: That's cheap for a performance clutch kit, Vaughan. lol

I know, relative to the cost of my car it's a lot though!
I'd rather pay the money for one that is going to last though, not going near the eBay stuff
Thanks given by:
Helix, Sachs, C.G your only options for a paddle really.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2013, 09:14 AM)Ben hdi306 Wrote: I've got the cg 5 paddle clutch for £275 it's managing to hold my full stage 2 remapp 150bhp 380ft/lbs I've done around 600 miles still seems good.

Am i the only one who noticed this lol? Surely that's NM
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lol it was 9:14 am that's my excuse
Thanks given by:
haha, we'll let you off then Tongue
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Haha, I did notice but assumed you meant NM. I can appreciate that you get what you pay for and helix is a sure thing but £430 is more than I have spent in mods to this point! I would go down the route of CG but I have heard mixed reviews, at the end of the day I just want to be sure my clutch is going to last me more than 10K even if im gunning it without any slipping, has anyones CG clutches achieved this?

Could I run a helix driven plate with a standard cover plate at 240 ish ft/lbs? Has anyone done this? Or does the extra clamping force really make the difference.
Thanks given by:
The 306/Berlingo clutch kit (same Sachs part #s) is holding perfectly for me a year later at 260lb/ft. I thrash it daily. See my posts on the FMIC clutch thread on the dot-net forum.
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2013, 01:48 PM)Pipps Wrote: The 306/Berlingo clutch kit (same Sachs part #s) is holding perfectly for me a year later at 260lb/ft. I thrash it daily. See my posts on the FMIC clutch thread on the dot-net forum.

Fantastic! Thankyou very much, I wish I had seen this thread months ago but I couldent find anything like it. I know exactly what I am doing now.
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sachs-Clutch-K...0876801723
This is it isn't it?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Is that the clutch rated up to 280 ft/lb ish? I was looking at the sachs paddle with a valeo setup it seems a paddle will work with a new OEM pressure plate. Would like to give it a bash as it looks to be sensible money at around the £280/£300 mark.
Thanks given by:
The Sachs part number is 3000950026.

It is sometimes listed by Sachs as a Citroen Berlingo part, but it is fully compatible with a 306 HDi.

The kit cost me £154.87 from an online retailer. They even personally guaranteed it to take up 280lb/ft, and said they would provide a replacement if it began slipping within 12 months.

Here are the pics that I took of my before I fitted it:

Please feel free to rep me Wink

[Image: IMAG0158.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0162.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0161.jpg]

Hope this helps.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Pipps, so you recommend this clutch? Can I ask which company you got yours from? I would like the guarantee of 12 months to :p Is the cover plate uprated to compared with OEM valeo etc? Just thinking if I did go for like 280+ ft/lbs and it did slip I could follow in daves footsteps and fit the sachs paddle in with this cover plate.
Thanks given by:
I dont think the cover is uprated... just well built, i have a techniclutch HDI clutch kit in the back of my car and comparing the two the sachs felt much more solid just to pick up.

Im obv biased so id recommend sachs, although im sure the other brands i.e helix, C.G are just as good and will have their pro's and con's. If the berlingo kit can handle full stage 2 torque then id rather have fitted that over my paddle as the judder can be an irritant, although the super light pedal on a spirited drive makes up for that!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I love my helix 4 paddle!

Id recommend it too
Thanks given by:
Treetrunkleg ^^^^

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
haha! Tbf... i think its damaged my ankle ligaments... not even joking
Thanks given by:
Ahh I opted out on the Helix due to the cost and supposed heavy clutch pedal, I got quoted like £450 ex VAT or something crazy. I ended up going down Dave (whippy's) route. I have bought a Sachs 4 paddle friction plate through euro along with an LuK clutch assembly for £300. I have a mate who can get trade prices with euro so it seemed the best option... Feather light clutch with bags of grip from 4 paddle. Sell off the LuK friction plate to make some money back and off we go. Looking forward to see if it will with stand the same abuse as Dave gave it.
Thanks given by:
Ligaments in your ankle!!! Ftrollolol.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Is the Helix really that heavy then? I thought people may be exagerating abit! :p
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2013, 09:29 PM)Heidi Wrote: Ahh I opted out on the Helix due to the cost and supposed heavy clutch pedal, I got quoted like £450 ex VAT or something crazy. I ended up going down Dave (whippy's) route. I have bought a Sachs 4 paddle friction plate through euro along with an LuK clutch assembly for £300. I have a mate who can get trade prices with euro so it seemed the best option... Feather light clutch with bags of grip from 4 paddle. Sell off the LuK friction plate to make some money back and off we go. Looking forward to see if it will with stand the same abuse as Dave gave it.

That's what I'm running. Euros couldn't get me that paddle plate although they recognized the part no exsisted.. I used the berlingo cover and bearing

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(15-03-2013, 09:33 PM)Arron Wrote: That's what I'm running. Euros couldn't get me that paddle plate although they recognized the part no exsisted.. I used the berlingo cover and bearing

Euro coulden't source you the part? I just quoted the part number that dave gave in one of the above threads and it came up. It did cause confusion as the guy could not seem to understand why I would possibly need a paddle on a diesel :p and he thought I wanted a kit but I eventually hammered it home that i was buying a kit separate. The paddle comes as a special order in from Germany.

EDIT: Just to add I also gave the manufacture compare number which was 2055 CL. He then found the paddle on his computer.
Thanks given by:
I ended up ordering it online. Cost £245 Inc vat for the plate. You won't be disappointed it holds well nd didn't take long to bed in.

It took 3 week for mine to arrive... euro will probably tell you 10 days tho!!!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
3 weeks! They told me three days haha. I was sceptical, I can't see it being here for at least a week. Glad to hear it's a good setup, what sort of power are you Arron?
Thanks given by:
Only drawback for me is the judder but that's the nature of paddle clutches I suppose.

I'm probably running around 250/280 torque.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  another clutch and fmic thread MIKE-FORD 14 3,573 19-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Arron