Vibrating/humming noise!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibrating/humming noise!
Well my car started to make a humming noise when driving in a straight line or turning right, stops when i turn left?

So looked round each wheel making sure the wheels arnt catching on any thing and i carnt see that they are.

Thought it was the brakes as i have drilled and grooved discs on the front but when i brake the noise stays the same

the noise only goes away when turning left of when im not moving the quicker i go the more noise it makes, seems to be getting louder was just going to leave it and wait for something to fall off but its got that loud now its giving me a headache lol

Any ideas???

Thanks given by:
Sounds like a wheel bearing,
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 02:20 PM)dturbopeck Wrote: Sounds like a wheel bearing,

I was starting to think this, but how can i find out which one? will there be play in it?

Thanks given by:
Should be able to feel the play or binding/humming when rotated
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 02:33 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Should be able to feel the play or binding/humming when rotated

will go have a look now this car really pissing me off now lol literary giving me a headache

Thanks given by:
Jack each side up and spin the wheels, u sud be able to hear it, or if not jack one side of the front up, but make sure the other wheel is on the ground, and start and drive the car though the gears, you sud hear this why as long as it's the front bearing
Thanks given by:
just jacked the front up one side at a time can hear more noise from the passenger side than the drivers side not jacked the back up tho, but because the noise goes away when turning left im guessing its a front problem??

Thanks given by:
Its very likely to be a left hand wheel bearing...as when you turn left you unload that side and thus the bearing goes quiet!
could still be rear

just just up the left side, and spin and feel the play in the wheels...if its making that much noise it be very obvious!

and dont wait until something falls off...if its a bearing then a wheel could fall off!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 02:56 PM)Piggy Wrote: Its very likely to be a left hand wheel bearing...as when you turn left you unload that side and thus the bearing goes quiet!
could still be rear

just just up the left side, and spin and feel the play in the wheels...if its making that much noise it be very obvious!

and dont wait until something falls off...if its a bearing then a wheel could fall off!

LOL! well i dont think i can wait cos i will have blood coming out my ears if i wait any longer lol

I will jack back end up tomorrow see if there is any noise from them, but defo thinking the passenger side front now.

Thanks given by:
If its that bad, you should be able to feel the heat coming from it.

IMO dont drive it!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 03:03 PM)Piggy Wrote: If its that bad, you should be able to feel the heat coming from it.

IMO dont drive it!

Got no choice to drive it there's no play in it just the noise...... will get it sorted asap just find a garage to press the bearing in or unless i can get a hub with a good wheel bearing quicker

Thanks given by:
I've just done a wheel bearing on my ph1 . Tbh just fit a new one it's not hard and at least that way it's not gonna fail again quickly like a used hub will.
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 03:39 PM)Jimbo Wrote: I've just done a wheel bearing on my ph1 . Tbh just fit a new one it's not hard and at least that way it's not gonna fail again quickly like a used hub will.

They pressed in arnt they?? Will have to get a garage to press it in dont mind taking hub off my self

Thanks given by:
Yeah they are pressed. I've got a press at work, best bet is to take hub off take it to local garage may charge 5 or 10 pounds but no other way round getting it in/out the hub unfortunately
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks for info guys will get it sorted asap

Thanks given by:
really try not to drive it much mate...if its making serious noise...its close to failure=

wheel seizes onto the bearing
wheel falls off

both not ideal
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 03:59 PM)Piggy Wrote: really try not to drive it much mate...if its making serious noise...its close to failure=

wheel seizes onto the bearing
wheel falls off

both not ideal

I find it hard to belive a wheel falling off, with the ammount of stuff that holds it on, but in the past i had one makeing a hell of alot more noise than this never had any wheel falling off.

Anyway it will get sorted asap will get a quote from garage tomorrow as long as its not to much will get it done tomorrow if not might have to wait untill wednesday

Thanks given by:
What else holds your wheel on then? I guarantee its nothing strong enough to hold it to the car at 40mph!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh no idea but just thought there would be other stuff holding it in place, best stop boosting it around lol will get it done asap any way.

Any one recommend a decent make of wheel bearing? few choices on euro car parts

Thanks given by:
Shame its not the rear one, theres one in the shed you could have had.
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 05:29 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: Shame its not the rear one, theres one in the shed you could have had.

I will remember that when rear one goes probably wont be long knowing this 306 Wink

Thanks given by:
I have a pair of hubs with good bearings if you get stuck mate only in Rotherham fit them up here
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
bearing collapse and lets the wheel overtake you! Rofl

really funny when your driving...until you realise its your own wheel overtaking you

(if this happens...at least the noise will stop!)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-03-2013, 05:49 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: I have a pair of hubs with good bearings if you get stuck mate only in Rotherham fit them up here

ok mate gona price up new tomorrow, but if its to expensive will inbox u

(24-03-2013, 06:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: bearing collapse and lets the wheel overtake you! Rofl

really funny when your driving...until you realise its your own wheel overtaking you

(if this happens...at least the noise will stop!)

lmao

Thanks given by:
Booked in garage tomorrow £30 labour for fitting it dont think thats bad, wheel bearing cost £26 for a oe one, carnt wait for some peace and quite lol

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP NEEDED ... HUMMING NOISE .. SOUNDS LIKE WHEEL BEARING joelww 18 3,248 09-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Face.
  drone/humming noise rd070707 7 1,837 22-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Willo