HELP!!! Pump 180 out? HELP!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP!!! Pump 180 out? HELP!!
HELP!!!!

due to the pump seal being gone, leaking a lot suddenly, I decided to try and do it in situ...

So took the end off..

[Image: 20130305_175746_zps6ea832b3.jpg]

all ok apart from that there appears to be two ways to fit this part

[Image: 20130305_175740_zps40fd62cf.jpg]

it goes in here...note the two slots

[Image: 20130305_175706_zps28f4a337.jpg]

180degrees each way, so one will be right and the other 180 out

Which way do I fit it?! Huh

I know I could fit it, see if works and if it doesnt, take it all apart again and refit it 180 the other way, but thats a PITA and I dont want to damage the new seal

Obviously the other side has a handy woodruff key so thats fine
[Image: 20130305_175810_zpsfe334fa6.jpg]
[Image: 20130305_175757_zpsccc24d2f.jpg]

Huh

FYI: I said petrol was bad to mix with veg...but I was persuaded on here it be fine, run 5% petrol to veg for two weeks...and it ruined that seal!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not necessarily the petrols fault. Veg ruins seals.

I'm afraid I can't remember how you tell which way around to fit it though, but I think its called the camplate if that helps you search for the answer.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The guide on pug.net for doing a 11mm pump shows it up great, and mentioned the woodruff key bit, which is obvious...but doesnt mention how to know which way the 'camplate' goes?!

These are the pics from pug.net 11mm guide...show the problem more so:

[Image: sam0909.jpg]

[Image: sam0910t-1.jpg]
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The circular notch on the front of the camplate wants to be inline with the woodruff key on the pulley end of the pump
Thanks given by:
You're unlucky with the seal tbh, or someone has replaced it with a seal which isnt a genuine bosch one as I know no one who's ever had an issue with seals and petrol after running a slight petrol mix. As Dan said, the nothc is inline with the wodruff key, you're doing well to get it back together on the car though!, much easier/cleaner/safer to just sack it off the motor though and get it on the bench... your grease will hold bits of shit in it and what not but best of luck
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 06:22 PM)Dan! Wrote: The circular notch on the front of the camplate wants to be inline with the woodruff key on the pulley end of the pump

ahhh...so whip the cambelt cover off and check where the key is, then line it up with that???

Aye I know, but I couldnt be assed to remove the whole thing...all the bearings came out and I got them in, this was all that was stopping me...it will have full rebuild next winter in prep for the 106madnad
And I hate retensioning a cambelt and dont have one spare
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah pretty much. You might not be able to see the woodruff slot with the pulley on the pump shaft. If you cant then look at a spare bosch pulley (If you haven't got one I'll go have a look at one for you) and see where the woodruff slot is on the pulley in relation to the 2 timing holes then go from there Smile
Thanks given by:
You dont need to change the cambelt?

You will need to take the belt/pulley off to see where the key sits.. unless you look at another pulley and lock it off and get a general idea of where the key sits then... bit of a farse it would still be easier to remove the pump.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ubber bad to untension and retension a already used cambelt...epic fail waiting to happen. I just dont do it out of good practice

Thanks for all the advice...I have one on a car (forsale) I could remove AND a 11mm hyrbid on the bench, so will go look!

THANKS A BILLION!

Rep on your way both of you
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Too late now obviously, but is poss to just slacken the pump head off a bit and stretch the old seal out and the new one in without completely removing the head and having all the bits come out.

*edit actually maybe the end plate bracket thing is in the way ...
Thanks given by:
ur gunna have fun trying to get that head back on side on like that :p
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 07:20 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: ur gunna have fun trying to get that head back on side on like that :p

Exactly what i was thinking gov mod can be done off the car but keeping everything in on its side IMO near impossible lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah, I'm amazed that springs, shims etc aren't all down the back of the alternator in the XUD black hole...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
To late again but when the pumps 'timed' with both pins in the woodruff key is around 10-11 o'clock
Thanks given by:
(05-03-2013, 09:00 PM)Ruan Wrote: Lol, yeah, I'm amazed that springs, shims etc aren't all down the back of the alternator in the XUD black hole...
Dropped many Allen keys down there...
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
well...

am now running my 11mm pump.

Lost a tiny washer/spacer in the gravel...spent 30min with a magnet...and broke a tiny piece off too.

bugger.

Anyway, its 11pm and its running, all be it on a super overkill 11mm pump!!! have to set it up tomorrow

Anyone know where to get small parts of a bosch pump?!

PS

stretching a new seal came to mind but I didnt wana risk over doing it and making it slack...hey ho. lesson learnt

PPS ironically it was when I went to put it back togetheir that I lost the shim/washer
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Missed this thread last night, glad you got it running and fair play for doing it on the car although it would have been quicker to just take it off!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I know its a bit pointless to say this but if I had been just a tiny bit more careful and it hadnt been 5years since I done one, I rekon it would have been all done within an hour.
but heyho, lesson learnt.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have a few stripped/spare pumps, which bits exactly do you need?
Thanks given by:
hey! its you dan...someone else reccomended you but I wasnt sure which dan exactly it was!

will take pics later and PM you?? that ok?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah no worries :-)
Thanks given by: