Removing Door Cards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guide: Removing Door Cards
Well, I spent ages looking all over the place for an easy to follow guide on removing door cards, but couldn't find any with pictures. So I've created one below as I went along. Hope somebody finds it useful! If I've missed anything don't hesitate to let me know.

Removing Door Cards (Front)

Tools Required
TX20 Torx bit
TX30 Torx bit
Flat headed screw driver (with fairly long blade)
Brute force!

Time Required
Approx 15-20mins

Step 1
Remove the internal plastic mirror cover. This needs to come off to assist removing the card.

[Image: FrontDC01-1_zps7d123a64.png]

Step 2
Remove the speaker cover. As indicated on the picture there is a small cut out part which helps to remove the cover. (Either that, or mine is broken)

[Image: FrontDC02-1_zpsd02742d5.png]

Step 3
Remove the speaker itself using the TX20. I've indicated the screws on the image below.
NOTE: If you have aftermarket speakers they may not look the same as these!

[Image: FrontDC03-1_zps0cefc347.png]

Step 4
Disconnect the speaker as indicated.
NOTE: If you have aftermarket speakers they may not look the same as these!

[Image: FrontDC04-1_zpse856551a.png]

Step 5
NOTE: Be very careful when removing the handle surround to make sure that you don't snap it!
Remove the door handle surround. I found that the easiest way to do this was to put a screw driver in between the handle and the surround and push it away from the handle. So in the image below you can see where I have the screwdriver (circled), in this position, pull the screwdriver down. When you have the screwdriver in the bottom, pull it up.

[Image: FrontDC05-1_zps9a65b9a8.png]

Below I've included an image of the surround. The red highlights indicate the clips that need popping out with the screwdriver. The blue highlights are locating lugs and just pull out.
NOTE: The image is obviously a mirror image as it's the back of the surround...

[Image: FrontDC06-1_zps8cd4111f.png]

Step 6
Next, remove the electric window/mirror switch (or winder handle as appropriate). Easiest way is to insert a screwdriver at the top end (nearest the hinges) as highlighted in the photo below. Then push it back and the clips should release it, if not, insert more brute force here...

[Image: FrontDC07-1_zps94067809.png]

If it's a winder, squeeze your fingers in between the back of the winder handle and the door card and try to make a fist. When you've done this, just pull... hard. It will eventually pop off.

[Image: RearDC02-1_zpse989be4b.png]

NOTE: This image is of a rear winder handle as my fronts are electric. I imagine the process is the same/very similar.

Step 7
NOTE: Ignore this step if you have keep fit windows
Disconnect the window/mirror switches, the two plugs (marked in blue) need removing. The top one can be removed by sliding the latch round (marked in red, top). The bottom one just needs the catch pushing in and then pull the plug down.

[Image: FrontDC08-1_zps75546bd1.png]

Step 8
Now to undo all of the remaining Torx screws, using the TX30. The first one is in where the window/mirror switches were removed from, circled below.

NOTE: On a keep fit window I'm not sure where this one is, if somebody could let me know I'll update this bit!

[Image: FrontDC09-1_zps06fbe602.png]

The second one is top left (or right if doing the right hand door), as circled. It's hidden behind a little rubber bung which should just pull out.

The third is under the handle. The best way to see this one is to lie on the floor and look up in to the door card (use a torch as it's dark up there).

[Image: FrontDC10-1_zps8f0e00ef.png]

Step 9
Now the only thing holding the door card on is a selection of approx. 8 white clips which just snap out. I found it easiest to start at the top of the card, furthest from the hinges. Put the screwdriver blade in between the card and the door and prise the two apart. Eventually you will feel the first one pop clear of the body. Work your way around the card until all are free.

At this point you can lift the door card up and over the door 'pin'.

Below is a photo of the inside of the door card. The blue highlights are the speaker screw holes, the green are the door screw holes and the red highlights are the white clips to give you some indication of their locations.

[Image: FrontDC11-1_zpsf66638d3.png]

Below is a photo of the inside of the door to give you some indication of the locations. As you can see somebody has already been inside mine as indicated by the gaffer tape!

[Image: FrontDC12-1_zps5130f224.png]

Refitting
In true Haynes fashion, refitting is pretty much the opposite of removal. To get the white clips back on I just screwed the card back on then used a bit of brute force.

PLEASE NOTE: These are not definitive instructions and should not be taken as gospel! Any damage caused whilst following (or not following) these instructions is not my fault. Undertake at your own risk!
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
nice guide dude needed it last week tho
Thanks given by:
Removing Door Cards (Rear)

Tools Required
TX20 Torx bit
Flat headed screw driver (with fairly long blade)
Brute force!

Time Required
Approx 10-15mins

Step 1
Removing the rear rear door cards is a much easier process than the front ones. The three highlighted pieces need removing.

[Image: RearDC01-1_zps9be7b558.png]

Step 2
Remove the window winder (only applies to keep fit windows). Squeeze your fingers in between the back of the winder handle and the door card and try to make a fist. When you've done this, just pull... hard. It will eventually pop off.

[Image: RearDC02-1_zpse989be4b.png]

Step 3
NOTE: Be very careful when removing the handle surround to make sure that you don't snap it!
Remove the door handle surround. I found that the easiest way to do this was to put a screw driver in between the handle and the surround and push it away from the handle. So in the image below you can see where I have the screwdriver (circled), in this position, pull the screwdriver down. When you have the screwdriver in the bottom, pull it up.

[Image: FrontDC05-1_zps9a65b9a8.png]

Below I've included an image of the surround. The red highlights indicate the clips that need popping out with the screwdriver. The blue highlights are locating lugs and just pull out.
NOTE: The image is obviously a mirror image as it's the back of the surround...

[Image: FrontDC06-1_zps8cd4111f.png]

NOTE: These images are of the front handle surround, but it is exactly the same process.

Step 4
Remove the "ash tray/door handle pull thingy". This can be done with a TX20 Torx screwdriver bit, once you've removed the screw the tray will simply come out.

[Image: RearDC04-1_zpsf8e9cd7a.png]

Step 5
Now the only thing holding the door card on is a selection of approx. 8 white clips which just snap out. I found it easiest to start at the top of the card, furthest from the hinges. Put the screwdriver blade in between the card and the door and prise the two apart. Eventually you will feel the first one pop clear of the body. Work your way around the card until all are free.

At this point you can lift the door card up and over the door 'pin'.

Below is a photo of the inside of the door card. The red highlights are the white clips to give you some indication of their locations.

[Image: RearDC07-1_zps0cffbcab.png]

Below is a photo of the inside of the door to give you some indication of the locations.

[Image: RearDC06-1_zps77df3e7f.png]

Refitting
In true Haynes fashion, refitting is pretty much the opposite of removal. To get the white clips back on I just screwed the card back on then used a bit of brute force.

PLEASE NOTE: These are not definitive instructions and should not be taken as gospel! Any damage caused whilst following (or not following) these instructions is not my fault. Undertake at your own risk!
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by: Puggy_mupps
Good stuff Smile Worth mentioning that when you put them back on the metal top has to sit in the groove on the door!
Thanks given by:
This was exactly what I was looking for although eeyore's reply made me realise it was the last owner that could have done with the guide, the tops weren't in the grooves so all 4 cards were sitting funny
Thanks given by: