Clutch problems - read this first!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch problems - read this first!
Done this a few weeks ago, pedal is a lot smoother and doesn't stick half way anymore. .... still stiff though Undecided
Thanks given by:
Does the 1.4 have these springs fitted?
Thanks given by:
thanks for this. bookmarked and added to the list of things to do Smile
Thanks given by:
I've had a look around me clutch pedal and can't find this part anywhere
Thanks given by:
Did this mod last nite on my DT, it's like night and day a much better clutch feel.

No more granchy, horrible feeling in the clutch pedal - it's abit lighter too which is nice.
Thanks given by:
It didnt make any noticable difference removing the spring on my hdi
Thanks given by:
You were lucky then, probably prolonged the life of your clutch though.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its made a slight difference on mine. Just a bit lighter around the biting point.

Just got to watch out it doesn't hit you in the face when you prise it off!
Thanks given by:
I was looking through the forum on how to adjust the clutch cable, as i didnt realise it was self adjusting.

By chance i found this thread, it has made a big difference, i now have a working clutch, the cable has adjusted itself, and i can now change gear with ease.

Could you add 1 small but vital point to the how to please.

Watch your face........... It missed me by mm's i was surprised it was so forceful.
But thank you so much for posting this. it has saved me replacing the cable.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
It took me far longer than it should to find 5 on that diagram... whistle
Thanks given by:
Just signed up to say had this happening with my 1995 1.9 xrdt, only passed test in feb so didnt know to think anything of it.... Well the white plastic clip broke last friday and still waiting for replacement from flea bay. Great fun not when you are semi disabled and have to walk everywhere on a stick. Will be removing this spring from the replacement cable for sure.
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2015, 01:57 PM)Ajax2061 Wrote: Just signed up to say had this happening with my 1995 1.9 xrdt, only passed test in feb so didnt know to think anything of it.... Well the white plastic clip broke last friday and still waiting for replacement from flea bay. Great fun not when you are semi disabled and have to walk everywhere on a stick. Will be removing this spring from the replacement cable for sure.

Firstly hello and welcome to 306oc! Smile

The spring is located on the side of the actual clutch pedal not the cable, Hope this helps.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
will have a go at removing when the new cable comes my car had every symptom you posted was hurting my hip (have arthritis in left hip and shoulder) to push so far down and was really stiff and pedal needed flipping up from time to time, wish I had read this before it went oh well new cable was only 17 quid
Thanks given by:
fitted new cable yesterday and did this mod also omg the difference is huge !!! love it thanks for the tip
Thanks given by:
Hi all, sunshine here...!!!! Makeup
 Is there a fix for clutch cable at the end of it`s adjustment.   Almost stalling when pressing clutch. Any ideas how long it will last like this.  Need to get back to home address,as at friends address with 120mls to return.
Thanks given by:
(18-09-2015, 08:30 AM)happypug Wrote: Hi all, sunshine here...!!!! Makeup
 Is there a fix for clutch cable at the end of it`s adjustment.   Almost stalling when pressing clutch. Any ideas how long it will last like this.  Need to get back to home address,as at friends address with 120mls to return.

Hello!

At the end of the cable on the clutch lever you can use your imagination to lodge a spacer of sorts for a get you home fix, alot easier with the airbox removed quickly.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by: happypug
Hi all, is there any up-to-date pictures? for some reason they are not showing for me. Help is appreciated.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2017, 01:37 AM)Ahmedelsh217 Wrote: Hi all, is there any up-to-date pictures? for some reason they are not showing for me. Help is appreciated.

They're not showing because that image hosting service decided to disable hotlinks in favour of money despite them now being irrelevant in the image hosting space Big Grin

Luckily the pictures aren't really necessary. Just stick your head down in the footwell and you'll see the spring on the arm of the clutch pedal, it's impossible to miss. It'll take some elbow grease to pop it out, and just watch it doesn't go flying into your face.

If your clutch is still buggered after, you can attempt an auto-adjuster reset. Three methods that I know of-

- Sidestep the clutch a few times. 
- Engage reverse, stand on the brakes and let out the clutch to stall on purpose. (some swear by this method but I find option 1 more effective)
- Get under the car. Unclip the auto-adjuster (sits under the firewall, you'll know it when you see it) and give it a jiggle and/or move the cable around at each end.

Of course the above will only fix the auto-adjuster dropping the bite point to the floor. If your clutch itself is terminal this won't do anything.
Thanks given by:
I had a new full clutch kit and clutch falk with plastic bushes.

It still felt stiff so I taken the spring of the pedal it does feel better now. 

I was getting a squicking noise with the clutch falk area sprayed on the top with wd40 there no noise now. 

The clutch is the best I've had so far now.
Thanks given by:
I just had all the described clutch issues over the last few days and was in the throes of seeing where I could buy a clutch locally for best price. £70 ish from Euro Car Parts .
But then it seemed to go completely this PM, just as I was heading for an appointment. But what's been puzzling me is that the clutch shows no sign of slipping, even when giving the 2.0 hdi full beans up th big hill before I get to work.
Now I've driven cars clutchless before and managed to get it home, with much cursing and swearing at the useless maroons on the road in front of me. Thankfully my battery seems to be in excellent condition and survived several stop/startinfirstgear malarkeys on the way, one was even uphill.
 So I'm super glad to read this thread!!!!!! Inlove
It'll be daylight tomorrow, so I'm told. And with a bit less rain that at the moment! So hopefully, he said with wossnames crossed, I'll be able to find the spring assister, or whateverthehell it's called, and rip it out!!  Hmm
WoW! That was cheap!  Inlove
Thanks given by:
Oh well, that's the end of that.
 Got rid of the assister spring.
Measured the large amount, 24mm ish, of free cable at the other end with pedal fully released.
Made a spacer out of a bit of solid nylon round bar. = drill center and hacksaw slot in one side.
Tried it.
Made the slot in the side of it a couple of mm wider. Itwasntme
That fitted!
Started the engine.
Dodgy sort of buzz from "down there".
Engine off.
Checked cable and spacer.
Pushed against the clutch lever with the spacer/cable end.
I could feel it resisting, so assumed that was the clutch "fingers".
Thought I might make the spacer 2mm shorter, but ...
Started 'er up again.
Pushed on the lever again with engine running, to see if the noise got worse.
Mini explosion/rattly sound from inside the transfer casing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doh
Definitely worse.
Fek.
Bus to work on Monday.
Dodgy
Gotta walk to the shop for some bread, and consolation cakes now!
Dodgy Dodgy
Thanks given by:
Oops, release bearing failed, not uncommon. Clutches on these aren't difficult, any fool can do them...I should know. Wink lol

It won't be cheap if you have to pay someone else to do it! :o
Thanks given by:
But I already ate the consolation cakes!!!
 The clutch isn't the issue though, it's all the crap that needs undoing and disconnecting on the outside that pisses me off.
Plus I'm 65 and don't enjoy this kind of work so much these days.
I'm kind of arguing with my self now.
Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Bite the bullet and take your time, i may be changing the clutch (engine out as other stuff to be done like checking inlet ports for being clogged up etc. ) over xmas!!
Thanks given by:
My 306 has moved on to someone who's more enthusiastic withtheir spanners. Hopefully I'll buy another GOOD car after xmas.
 I can't fault the Pug though, that 2L HDi is fantastic!!!!!!!!
Thanks given by: